Delta Winds

DeeGee68

Delta Winds

Post by DeeGee68 »

Hello Everyone,

New to the forum. The wife and I have hit the Delta a few times in the last year since we started fishing in the boat. It seems like we always have wind, no complaints, it is always manageable and we have fun. The problem is I never really checked to see how fast it was blowing. We were planning on going out tomorrow and wind it predicted to blow at 16 mph getting stronger as the day goes by. Is this a pretty strong wind for out there or is it about average?

Thanks for the help,

DeeGee
monte300

Re: Delta Winds

Post by monte300 »

DeeGee68 wrote:Hello Everyone,

New to the forum. The wife and I have hit the Delta a few times in the last year since we started fishing in the boat. It seems like we always have wind, no complaints, it is always manageable and we have fun. The problem is I never really checked to see how fast it was blowing. We were planning on going out tomorrow and wind it predicted to blow at 16 mph getting stronger as the day goes by. Is this a pretty strong wind for out there or is it about average?

Thanks for the help,

DeeGee
I'm going out tomorrow too and 16mph is pretty average. You will fish some areas that are protected and it will be nowhere near that strong. On hot days you will be glad there's a breeze and when it's blowing I always try to put the wind at my back so I'm not backlashing every cast. Tomorrow's forecast says wind will blow from the WNW direction. That is the most common direction, either that or westerly. What you don't want is wind blowing directly out of the north or the east. With high temperatures in the low 80's tomorrow it should feel like chamber of commerce. Good luck and enjoy!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
CBS

Post by CBS »

First, Try launching south somewhere, if your on the west side of the river try launching out of Orwood. Great marina and you can almost always find calm water nearby. If you have been launching Big Break west you are far more exposed to big wind. Tomorrow wind for Knightsen 9-14mph. Lastly, be on the water at day break that's when fishing is best and winds usually calmest.
Tight Lines
JLBassin

Post by JLBassin »

If you stay outta the big open area's like big break and franks tract you can pretty much always find somewhere to hide from the wind out on the delta. Just gotta find the right levee wall to get behind to tone it down a bit
flandfish

Post by flandfish »

Great app, thanks Mark!
DeeGee68

Post by DeeGee68 »

Thanks for all of the tips. It wasn't bad but wow did it eventually start whipping. Caught an outgoing tide and had no bites till we switched ro a ned rig. Bunch of drinks and a 2.66er but better than getting skunked.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Good job. Where did you wind up launching from?
CLEAN AND DRY
DeeGee68

Post by DeeGee68 »

mark poulson wrote:Good job. Where did you wind up launching from?
We ended up launching from Brannan Island.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

DeeGee68 wrote:
mark poulson wrote:Good job. Where did you wind up launching from?
We ended up launching from Brannan Island.
Good for you.
CLEAN AND DRY