Strange Occurence

DeeGee68

Strange Occurence

Post by DeeGee68 »

Hello everyone,

A strange thing happened last week when I was out on the delta. I was wondering on peoples thoughts on this were.

I was in a cove off from the main channel and the water was pretty flat where I was. I then looked up and saw a HUGE ship floating down the river. First of all I thought that was weird, because the damn thing was as big as a cruise ship.

So where I was at, the water never moved, no wake or anything but all of the sudden a **** load of bait fish or something rose to the surface. I saw hundreds of the come up then a minute or so later all went away. Weird sight to say the least!
gabuelhaj

Re: Strange Occurence

Post by gabuelhaj »

Those ships throw an enormous under tow/current. Be glad you didn’t get caught in that as you’ll easily end up like the SS Minnow. :shock:

You may want to consider leaving the area if you spot one and return later....

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Yes, those ships create a tremendous ground swell which hangs around for minutes after they have blown through an area. Thank goodness you didn't have to deal with a four foot wake.
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

another strange sight “ last year on Clear Lake ‘ I was running across the lake , state park to Shag rock , when a giant boil rolled up in front of me ! about 50’ across ‘ & 2’ high ! thought the volcano was erupting again !...
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Yup those contianer ships create their own tide i have seen it drop off 3' and then gush 4' + on the infill. The in fill can create a feeding opportunity for sure - thats pretty awesome the bait fish went wild. did you hook up?
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
DeeGee68

Post by DeeGee68 »

ash wrote:Yup those contianer ships create their own tide i have seen it drop off 3' and then gush 4' + on the infill. The in fill can create a feeding opportunity for sure - thats pretty awesome the bait fish went wild. did you hook up?
Strange but slowed down for about 15 - 20 minutes after that then heated up again.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I've had it happen to me twice. The first time I was on the main river, with nothing between me and the ship, and the wakes were huge. I wasn't motoring, so I was able to ride them out.
The second time I was way in the back of the flooded island next to Three River Reach, where I couldn't even see the main river or the ship. All of a sudden the water receded like a really fast tide, and then came back in fast. The wave was lower, and more spread out, but it was still weird.\, and moved a lot of water.
Big ships are nothing to fool around with. If I see them coming on the main river, I try and duck in behind some kind of island or berm to block their wakes.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY