Your performance on the Delta

nivanov30

Your performance on the Delta

Post by nivanov30 »

I've been fishing Delta for the last 3 years (many more years before that elsewhere). I'm trying to understand where do I stand in terms of my "performance" vs. other anglers. Now, I'm not fishing tournaments so that numbers don't really correlated with me.

I'm basically at the stage right now where I can fish anytime of the day - morning, midday, or evening - for 3-4 hours and reliably get ~10-11lb bag with 10-15+ fish total (ranging from 7-8lb bag when I hit a ding fest and 15-17lbs bag when I get couple of 3-4lb fish to go along). My PB on Delta is 6.9lb (yeah, I know). I fish reaction baits most of the time. The only difference from this rule is January/February where I typically just catch 2-3 fish in the same time 3-4 hours.

I'd love to get a bearing on whether this is weak, average, strong (I know, obviously, this is NOT strong). That would help me to improve and work on my average.

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.
Bassdrool

Re: Your performance on the Delta

Post by Bassdrool »

Well I have a lot to say on this topic but I'm not sure I'll do a great job categorising everything. First I will say sounds like if all you are doing is recreational, your doing just fine. Keep going out and catching numbers with some nice fish mixed in and it's all about having a good time. You mentioned you don't fish tournaments but I don't know a better way to gauge how you are performing compared to other fisherman.
Sounds like you know what your best 5 fish on any given day would weigh and that's great cause you can gauge that vs. all the tournament results on the delta for that time of year. Now there are level to these circuits. For the most part Future Pro Your, Best Bass Tournaments, and Hook, Line and Sinker tournaments are events held for "amateur" fisherman, (not trying to offend anyone, just explaining the best I can). Now New Jen, WWBT, FLW, those circuits are full of the best fisherman California has to offer. You can compare your 5 fish limits to there's at any given time of year and gauge how you compare to both levels of fisherman.
There is a big difference between recreational fishing and tournament fishing. Many tournament fisherman who weigh big bags do not catch a ton of fish throughout the day and are only in search of 5 big bites. As a tournament fisherman myself searching for 5 big bites a day can be fun but I get burned out on it from time to time and look forward to just fishing for fun and just catching a ton of fish.
Like I said in the beginning, sounds like you are doing pretty well and having fun each time out. January and February can be tough for everyone. February normally starts getting better and some big prespawners can be caught. Personally I throw a spinnerbait/square bill 99% of the time in February and have caught a number of big fish, not numbers of fish but many over 10lbs. Hopefully this is somewhat of what you are looking for you. My advice would be just keep fishing and having fun. Big fish now of days on the delta are few and far between. If it was 2005 it'd be a different story but lots has changed.
DTF

Post by DTF »

Same boat over here. On the plus side, catching 40-50 dinks on reaction baits is also fun, with a few 3-5lb fish every once in a while. Not winning any tournaments, but not so bad either. Besides that, theres always a chance to hook a new PB. FWIW all my biggest fish came on a drop shot with the most popular worm and most popular color on the delta. I’m sure there are many anglers like us wondering why we can’t a big fish for months, the delta is so big and vast that you’re always going to wonder if you’re in the wrong spot throwing the wrong lure, or is it the tide yada yada. Easiest place to lose your confidence and get into a funk!
nivanov30

Post by nivanov30 »

Thanks guys, makes sense...
Kyle46N

Post by Kyle46N »

DTF wrote: I’m sure there are many anglers like us wondering why we can’t a big fish for months, the delta is so big and vast that you’re always going to wonder if you’re in the wrong spot throwing the wrong lure, or is it the tide yada yada. Easiest place to lose your confidence and get into a funk!
So true. The Air Force brought me here for a few Years, and now taking me away. I quickly learned the numbers game, mostly from experience fishing tidal bass in the past, but finding consistent big bites never happened. To piggyback on the quote above, when you make the dive into big fish hunting on the Delta, make sure to keep a pulse on your mindset, and a perceived fishing funk. Don’t hesitate to go back to catching those numbers to remind yourself you CAN fish. To help you a little in finding bigger fish, if you havent yet, learn to throw jerkbaits over 6 to 10 ft of grass inbetween islands and just off the channel, in the winter. Caught my three biggest in one winter doing this, and a bunch of 4 lbrs. Secondly, commit to punching. I didnt until now, and as I’m a couple months from leaving, I’ve put a 5 to 6 lbr in the boat on 4 straight punching trips. Kicking myself to say the least. Last but not least, always remember that tidal bass fishing is difficult. It’s just a fact. Even in the land of the giants. It will help your perspective as you have good and bad days.
DTF

Post by DTF »

Fishing the delta is like playing golf....just accept it for what it is (reality) and you’ll enjoy it so much more. No sense in getting frustrated
Tony P

Post by Tony P »

It depends on what you looking to accomplish.

1) If you having fun keep doing what you're doing.

2) if you're looking for better numbers concentrate on baits known for numbers vs quality.

3) If you're looking to catch bigger fish you need to concentrate on learn the techniques that produce bigger fish.

4) If you wanting to move in to tournament fishing you need to get proficient at both 1 & 2.

With all that said my advise is tho hire a guide, tell him what you looking to do & shave years off your learning curve in one trip. The Delta can humble you really quick, one day you're just killing it & the next you feel like fish don't even exist there.
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

You are doing well. Like said if you want big fish expect fewer bites
When we fish for bites we catch more fish but usually smaller fish
When we fish for big fish we expect 5 or 7 bites all day