Lowrance and Motorguide why do they despise each other?

Moderator: Ken Sauret

BigTMig

Lowrance and Motorguide why do they despise each other?

Post by BigTMig »

I don't normally join forums anymore but I feel I need to in the hopes that someone out there may have an answer for me. I bought a Lowrance HDS 9 Generation 3 fish finder and a new MotorGuide xi3 pinpoint GPS trolling motor. I like the trolling motor just fine when it's on its own but my whole purpose of buying this system was that I could use it for routing and trails, so I can pay more attention to my fishing and not worry about the driving. There are a whole bunch of videos out there showing how great the system is and how it will take you where you want to go and you don't have to worry about it but I have had nothing but nightmares and problems for the past year. It seems like MotorGuide and Lowrance technicians don't have a lot of good things to say about each other. And I keep getting conflicting information. I don't want to have to write a story so I'll try to make this as short as possible. It seems that it is impossible to get the MotorGuide to work correctly with the Lowrance fish finder when it comes to routing and trails because they want you to use, the MotorGuide only GPS on their motor and not the one on the Lowrance unit. This would be fantastic except, for when you do that your chart on the Lowrance doesn't match up, not even a fraction with the GPS signals from the MotorGuide motor. This causes me a freaking migraine when I try to set waypoints on the Lowrance and then it takes you in completely different directions then what you have programmed in. They should communicate with each other in Harmony and yet they don't. Has anyone else had this issue and has anyone ever been able to find a fix? In my mind it should only be a simple software fix more than likely from Lowrance and not MotorGuide. They should be able to communicate with each other or the Lowrance should be able to use or utilize the MotorGuide GPS just as it would the one in the fish finder itself. I'm very frustrated because neither MotorGuide or Lowrance wants to take blame for this and they just want to point fingers and I've spent over $2,000 on this whole system and I want to to rip it out and throw it in the bottom of the lake! There has to be a simple fix for this and I wonder if anybody else has had this problem and if there is a fix? Thank you.
mark poulson

Re: Lowrance and Motorguide why do they despise each other?

Post by mark poulson »

Switch to Humminbird/Minn kota. They are the same company, so they work together.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Edd

Post by Edd »

You need the Xi5 and the N2K Pinpoint gateway. Not the Xi3.
BigTMig

Post by BigTMig »

Well, I have the MotorGuide pinpoint Gateway already. The NMEA 2K cord that is. Now I have also questioned the xi5 vs the Xi3 in that regard. I've been told from Lowrance it won't work with the xi3 but then I have talked to the guys at MotorGuide and they said the xi3 and xi5 both had the exact same internal GPS systems. And that there is no difference between the two. So I don't know who's telling the whole truth and who's not?? If that were simply the case I would return the xi3 back to MotorGuide and pay the difference for The Identical xi5 version but I don't think that's going to help anybody.
Edd

Post by Edd »

Read this, http://www.motorguide.com/store/accessory/gateway-kit , it says NOTHING about Xi3.
And, Lowrance doesn't manufacture the Gateway, as it is owned by Motor-Guide.
BigTMig

Post by BigTMig »

The Gateway is a gateway. I know MotorGuide makes it. And of course they make it to work with the Lowrance. The problem is MotorGuide sometimes takes forever to update things on their website. I have a free moment this week I'm going to call them about it talk to them again tell them if it's not designed work with the xi3 than they should post that or if it is, then they should post it that way.
Edd

Post by Edd »

Here's the thingy....the Gateway was NEVER advertised to work with Xi3. Somebody sold you the wrong motor.
Edd

Post by Edd »

This is directly from MotorGuide's website:
Ultimate control at your fingertips in one powerful, easy-to-use interface that works seamlessly with these components: A Pinpoint® GPS-equipped Xi5 Trolling Motor, a NMEA 2000® network, a MotorGuide Gateway Kit, and a compatible Lowrance® HDS fishfinder / chartplotter.
BigTMig

Post by BigTMig »

I understand that thank you. But that was written before they even came out with the xi3 motor. What I am trying to say is they haven't updated their website to that effect.
Edd

Post by Edd »

My best guess is that "Lowrance® Connectivity Compatible" along with NO 'Gateway' mention, means not for Xi3. Yes it has their Pinpoint GPS and the Xi3 is compatible with Lowrance, but still will not work with Xi3. The fact that product B was made after product A doesn't indicate it has all the features product A.

I would take it back to the person who sold it to me and him WHY it doesn't work as he stated.

I hope you find that I am mistaken and share your results on this forum.

Edd
jasonjeremiah

Post by jasonjeremiah »

I certainly hope they communicate with one another. I was told by a Motorguide tech that they absolutely can be networked together. He said the new Xi3 with GPS/sonar is the same as the Xi5 internally; the only difference is the Xi3 doesn't come with the wireless pedal and the gears are beefier in the Xi5. Other than that, they have the exact same internals as far as circuitry and GPS. Based on that, I ordered the Xi3 and Lowrance Elite 7ti w/ TotalScan and am in the process of mounting them.

After reading your post, especially with the Lowrance tech saying they wouldn't work, I became concerned so I contacted Brian at BBG Marine who sells Motorguide, Minn Kota, Lowrance, HBird, etc. and is a well respected member of several fishing forums. He phoned me back but I missed his call, but the message he left was that "absolutely the Xi3 will network with the Lowrance using the GPS gateway and NMEA 2000 network starter kit. I'm contacting Motorguide and Lowrance both tomorrow to confirm before I even unbox the trolling motor. I'm guessing the Lowrance guy is just not aware of the new Xi3 or just didn't care. I wonder if something isn't just wrong with your particular unit - either the trolling motor or depth finder.
BigTMig

Post by BigTMig »

So I have contacted both Lowrance and MotorGuide this last Friday and have some relatively and promising good news. I can't do anything because my boat is put up for the year until spring. But what I was told from Lowrance from one of their tier two technicians. That it is all in the settings on the Lowrance unit to make the xi3 work correctly. Apparently, so what you got to do is go into the data sources menu and use the GPS in the Lowrance unit. Do not set it to Auto and do not set it to the MotorGuide unit. You set it to the internal GPS of the Lowrance unit. Also there is another function in that menu that says Global or local and you want to set that to local. The default is global. Then he said you need to go to the menu selection that says vessel and it varies between Lowrance units but you need to go in there and there's the same type of system for data source. That one you need to deploy the motor so that it recognizes the motor and you set that data source from Auto to MotorGuide. Apparently the Lowrance units do not have a built-in compass in the fish finder. So what you're basically doing is using the GPS on the fish finder and you're using the compass from the motor guide. That way they'll communicate between each other and the map should stay oriented and the motor should work the way it is supposed to. Now I contacted Larry at MotorGuide who I have been working with for quite some time he is very knowledgeable and I ran the idea past him from the guy at Lowrance. He was not aware of this but after doing some investigating he thinks that yes that this could work also. Now, having said all of this. And by the way, Edd, Larry once again confirmed that the internal workings are the same. The only difference is a slight motherboard variation but all the programming and software are same for both the xi3 and xi5. Now another suggestion from Lowrance was to incorporate their point one system, and that will help bolster the GPS in they're fish finder. It'll make the map, trails and routing ten times more accurate. But before I run out and spend $200 I'm going to make sure the suggestions from Lowrance work in the first place. Now, having been said, I did find a YouTube video from a man named Stephen Johnston, I will post a link here.

In his video he shows the exact same problems that I have been having with his system that I have. I have sent the link to Lowrance and MotorGuide so they also understand the issues we're going through and I hope within the next little while everyone can figure out our problems and we'll have this resolved.
jasonjeremiah

Post by jasonjeremiah »

That is good news! I'm going to proceed with installing mine. Was starting to wish I had gone with the Minn Kota but got such a good deal on the Motorguide and Lowrance it was hard to pass up. $1500 total for both and that was with the Elite TI with TotalScan and Navionics plus. If you have to spend $500 more to get it to work properly sort of negates the good deal aspect.
jasonjeremiah

Post by jasonjeremiah »

I'm starting to hear horrible things about Lowrance customer service and am starting to experience it to a certain degree. This is unrelated to the above issue, but I had phoned Lowrance yesterday to inquire about the above issue and while I was speaking to the technician, also asked if I provided them with photos of my transom, if they could suggest the preferred location to install the transducer so I would maintain depth readings while on plane. The technician said "Absolutely. Just provide multiple photos of different angles of the transom and email them to lowrance.tech@navico.com." He said an installer would look at the photos and indicate the preferred location circled on the photo, with a secondary location as well.

I received an email from lowrance.tech a few moments ago regarding the installation. The email was merely a link to the installation manual PDF, which I already have. I called Lowrance back and the CSR said she would have the tech follow up with an additional email, but with the lack of concern or effort I've encountered so far, I'm likely to get a photo that has an area around the rubrail circled for the transducer install.
BigTMig

Post by BigTMig »

Jeremiah if you want to send me your pictures of where you're thinking and I may be able to help you with that.
jasonjeremiah

Post by jasonjeremiah »

Wow, this gets even better. Just got an email reply from the "so-called" tech dept at Lowrance. It included a link to a 2 minute Youtube video of a Lowrance tech describing the transducer install on his Skeeter boat with no step, which is very handy if I have a Skeeter boat that's the same model. I had watched that video several times before I even contacted Lowrance. I'm really starting to wonder if I should just send this back and get something manufactured by someone that will actually give customer service, because the indifference and lack of concern at Lowrance is astounding. Glad Motorguide actually gives a crap about their customers because Lowrance doesn't. But, with their attitude, they must be rolling in so much money they don't care to lose a customer or two.
BigTMig

Post by BigTMig »

Hey Jeremiah give me a call!
Edd

Post by Edd »

Thanks for the update BigTMig. MotorGuide should change their marketing material from 'works with Xi5 trolling motor' to 'works with the Xi trolling motor line'. Glad you got it mall sorted.

Edd
Andrey Dudar

Post by Andrey Dudar »

hello. is this advice help - now your MG & Low work corectly? I just buy a new set xi5+HDSlive9 and have same problem on fishing (was not funny)... I'm lokking for some advices in internet how to fix it, but till now se only problrm descriphion like Stephen Johnston in his (my problrm 100% same one)
BigTMig wrote:So I have contacted both Lowrance and MotorGuide this last Friday and have some relatively and promising good news. I can't do anything because my boat is put up for the year until spring. But what I was told from Lowrance from one of their tier two technicians. That it is all in the settings on the Lowrance unit to make the xi3 work correctly. Apparently, so what you got to do is go into the data sources menu and use the GPS in the Lowrance unit. Do not set it to Auto and do not set it to the MotorGuide unit. You set it to the internal GPS of the Lowrance unit. Also there is another function in that menu that says Global or local and you want to set that to local. The default is global. Then he said you need to go to the menu selection that says vessel and it varies between Lowrance units but you need to go in there and there's the same type of system for data source. That one you need to deploy the motor so that it recognizes the motor and you set that data source from Auto to MotorGuide. Apparently the Lowrance units do not have a built-in compass in the fish finder. So what you're basically doing is using the GPS on the fish finder and you're using the compass from the motor guide. That way they'll communicate between each other and the map should stay oriented and the motor should work the way it is supposed to. Now I contacted Larry at MotorGuide who I have been working with for quite some time he is very knowledgeable and I ran the idea past him from the guy at Lowrance. He was not aware of this but after doing some investigating he thinks that yes that this could work also. Now, having said all of this. And by the way, Edd, Larry once again confirmed that the internal workings are the same. The only difference is a slight motherboard variation but all the programming and software are same for both the xi3 and xi5. Now another suggestion from Lowrance was to incorporate their point one system, and that will help bolster the GPS in they're fish finder. It'll make the map, trails and routing ten times more accurate. But before I run out and spend $200 I'm going to make sure the suggestions from Lowrance work in the first place. Now, having been said, I did find a YouTube video from a man named Stephen Johnston, I will post a link here. https://youtu.be/Ngh51kqu_4I

In his video he shows the exact same problems that I have been having with his system that I have. I have sent the link to Lowrance and MotorGuide so they also understand the issues we're going through and I hope within the next little while everyone can figure out our problems and we'll have this resolved.
Edd

Post by Edd »

jasonjeremiah wrote:Wow, this gets even better. Just got an email reply from the "so-called" tech dept at Lowrance. It included a link to a 2 minute Youtube video of a Lowrance tech describing the transducer install on his Skeeter boat with no step, which is very handy if I have a Skeeter boat that's the same model. I had watched that video several times before I even contacted Lowrance. I'm really starting to wonder if I should just send this back and get something manufactured by someone that will actually give customer service, because the indifference and lack of concern at Lowrance is astounding. Glad Motorguide actually gives a crap about their customers because Lowrance doesn't. But, with their attitude, they must be rolling in so much money they don't care to lose a customer or two.
You get the same advice as we all do. Question I am wondering is, WHY didn't you get this answer from the boat manufacturer? They built the boat, so it ONLY makes good sense, they are the people to tell you where they designed places for transducer mounting.
Also if you follow the Lowrance installation manual, it tells you everything you need to know from a transducer point of view. Maybe you should have asked the boat dealer, or done some research on the boat/model prior to laying down the cash. This is NOT a Lowrance problem. It is a 'whatever brand you bought' boat problem.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

And this is why Lowrance came out with Ghost TM and Hummingbird Minn Kota - they dont have to he said she said they know their products interface cleanly with each other.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
jasonjeremiah

Post by jasonjeremiah »

Edd wrote:
jasonjeremiah wrote:Wow, this gets even better. Just got an email reply from the "so-called" tech dept at Lowrance. It included a link to a 2 minute Youtube video of a Lowrance tech describing the transducer install on his Skeeter boat with no step, which is very handy if I have a Skeeter boat that's the same model. I had watched that video several times before I even contacted Lowrance. I'm really starting to wonder if I should just send this back and get something manufactured by someone that will actually give customer service, because the indifference and lack of concern at Lowrance is astounding. Glad Motorguide actually gives a crap about their customers because Lowrance doesn't. But, with their attitude, they must be rolling in so much money they don't care to lose a customer or two.
You get the same advice as we all do. Question I am wondering is, WHY didn't you get this answer from the boat manufacturer? They built the boat, so it ONLY makes good sense, they are the people to tell you where they designed places for transducer mounting.
Also if you follow the Lowrance installation manual, it tells you everything you need to know from a transducer point of view. Maybe you should have asked the boat dealer, or done some research on the boat/model prior to laying down the cash. This is NOT a Lowrance problem. It is a 'whatever brand you bought' boat problem.
I mounted the transducer and it works fine. Boat manufacturer was Stratos and they're out of business. The post has really nothing to do with the placement of a transducer which is obvious if you read from the beginning. It has to do with a company that has non-existent customer service. But, thanks for quoting something I posted in Jan, 2019 like it's even relevant now. And thanks for the advice and help. Nothing you posted was helpful at all and most of it inaccurate, such as continually incorrectly claiming the Xi3 could not even be networked to the Lowrance. It amazes me how people who don't even know what they're talking about or even personally own said combo will interject themselves into a conversation, often time deflecting or misdirecting from any information that may actually be helpful as if they're an expert on the matter. Then it turns our their only source of information regarding said products is referencing quotes from a website that hasn't been updated since Noah's ark, even after it's been pointed out by actual owners of both products that, they in fact can be networked together as has been confirmed by both manufacturers. Even after this, person continues to criticize an actual owner of the product, referring to a post made over a year ago where they were giving an example of Lowrance's lack of customer service (which is well documented by virtually every owner of a Navico product) and then somehow blames that on the brand of boat I own. Congrats - you win the least helpful poster of the decade award. What exactly is your agenda? Why are you even posting on this thread? It's obvious you don't own the combo and have no relevant information that would help absolutely anyone that does own this combo and really all you've done is try to convince everyone in this thread they bought the wrong product or own the wrong boat.
Edd

Post by Edd »

Wow! Testy there.
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

Why not just sell the Lowrance? It seems you will never be happy with it. I can't imagine fishing (which should be relaxing) while all the time hating your equipment.