Kaput

WRB

Kaput

Post by WRB »

After losing my son this year to Renal cancer, putting up with COVID 19 and now facing the prospect of Biden winning then impeached with Kamala Harris President Nancy Polsey VP we faced with the question where to move?
I am a born and raised Californian that loves my State. The weather is ideal, the fish excellent, the health system as good as it gets, mountains to play in the snow ans beaches all long the coast, the taxes and politics suck. Did I mention we like wine.
Considered Idaho and remembered my youth growing up at Bear Lake, snow isn't something to live in for months. Arizona, been there going to ASU and not going back to the heat and dust. Utah...it's a Dry state. Nevada is another Arizona without the taxes...possibility.
Will wait and hope for Trump to win...what a choice!
Tom
gixxer464

Re: Kaput

Post by gixxer464 »

Sorry to hear about your son. My sincerest condolences. California is one of the most beautiful states. The beaches, mountains, deserts,etc. Too bad its being run into the ground. My top choice in regards to quality of life, fishing included, would be Texas. Good luck with your decision.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Thank you!
Texas is out been there too many times to mention over 50 years in the aerospace business. Good fishing for sure but the weather sucks and in recent years too many Californians have spoiled the politics and acceptance of the local folks.
Tom
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

Lake Chickamauga , Tenn !.... that’s were I’m going !.....
monte300

Post by monte300 »

birdman920 wrote:Lake Chickamauga , Tenn !.... that’s were I’m going !.....
So sorry to hear about your son. My wife and I are considering the Knoxville area to retire, not sure if we can take the humidity. We are also considering a place on the water at Moses Lake in Washington state. Pretty much in the middle of the state about 9 inches of rain and 21 inches of snow per year. No state income tax and Kaiser healthcare is available. Weather wise you can’t beat California but this state is quickly becoming an expensive sh$#hole.
MT

Post by MT »

You hate it here but all the other options suck too. Maybe stop worrying about politics so much and go fishing. Not trying to be a jerk. Just going on what you said. I've had the same thoughts that you mentioned. Sometimes I think the ideal solution would be to downsize and have two places to spend the year? Wyoming, South Dakota, Montana during the warm months and a place in East Texas or East Tennessee for Winter and Spring. Those trout states up north have lots of bass and nobody cares about them.
I hope you find somewhere that suits your needs.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

MT wrote:You hate it here but all the other options suck too. Maybe stop worrying about politics so much and go fishing. Not trying to be a jerk. Just going on what you said. I've had the same thoughts that you mentioned. Sometimes I think the ideal solution would be to downsize and have two places to spend the year? Wyoming, South Dakota, Montana during the warm months and a place in East Texas or East Tennessee for Winter and Spring. Those trout states up north have lots of bass and nobody cares about them.
I hope you find somewhere that suits your needs.
Many of us can't afford two residences and wish to retire somewhere where the cost of living is much less. I for one am sick of paying a national high 13% state income tax. Every time they raise the gas tax they tout the advantages of all the money our school system will benefit from, while only a very small part of the tax hike actually reaches our schools. I thought the lottery was supposed to be the saving grace of the public schools?
Last edited by monte300 on Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

WRB wrote:Thank you!
Texas is out been there too many times to mention over 50 years in the aerospace business. Good fishing for sure but the weather sucks and in recent years too many Californians have spoiled the politics and acceptance of the local folks.
Tom
The problem with Texas is the majority of the great bass lakes are in highly humid east Texas, there aren't that many great bass lakes in west Texas where the humidity is low. Another challenge is the lakes that have homes on their shore are mostly in east Texas. San Angelo looks like a decent option smack dab in the middle of the sate with several good bass lakes. Del Rio also looks decent with the world famous Lake Amistad. Even though there isn't a state income tax, Texas has the third highest property taxes that are based on current value. Keep this in mind when you consider Texas.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Good luck, and keep posting on WB.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
milehi

Post by milehi »

I second Mark. Have a friend with a place in North Carolina on lake norman, part time at best but loves it
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

Stay put and get you a RV or camper and go mobile. You can follow the weather/hot bites and set up your domicile in South Dakota which is the lowest tax liability in the country. You only have to stay one night there to become a permanent resident.....

BTW, sorry for your loss and hope things get better.

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
WRB

Post by WRB »

Thank you for all the good advice and warm thoughts.
Before I archived my fishing experiences I did write write a few articles when my name was better known in the 80's. If interested PM your email and I will send a copy. A Rare Chance at a World Record. Lake Isabella '86 and Horizontal Jigging '95. Who knows it may help someone.
Tom
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

Make your move before it's to late. I escaped Southern California to Shasta 25 years ago. The political situation and cost of living for all California has really gone to hell in that time frame, and at 78 I really don't want to start over. The good part is I still try to hit the lake once or twice a week. Often time making the best of our situation is the right move.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Redding is very hot during the summer and no desire to move north anymore. A few freinds from SoCal in the mid 70's age up moved to the Shasta area and enjoy it.
I have been blessed my entire life and achieved most of my fishing goals. The 20 lb + bass escaped my grasp, came close.
Watching the elections results tomorrow and hoping the country doesn't morph into California.
Peace,
Tom
WRB

Post by WRB »

I started this thread thinking what state a conservative could move to from California. I knew Idaho was where most Move to followed by Tennessee and Teaxs. Now after today my search is what country to move to?
Tom
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

NEXT STOP WILLOUGHBY.............................

I believe you are looking for a whistle stop in the Twilight Zone called Willoughby Tom.I always wanted to go myself :lol: I don't think I would discount NorCal. I went to High School and we had a resort on Clear Lake in the early 70's. The county is still a dump with no money but you can fall down and catch a fish there hence my desire to head in that direction. It's ''hot" as well but hey I live in Ojai where the sun is like a laser as you well know having fished Casitas for more years than I times 2. The wife will never let us move so I guess I tough it out and fish the pond (Casitas) 3 miles down the street. I don't know that your desire will be easy to accomplish. I wish you the best of luck and would like to hear the how/where/what's of the final chapter ....

Rip

PS You can look at State/county polling results and see if they are in tune in with the dream. :mrgreen:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
WRB

Post by WRB »

Kelly Ripa wrote:NEXT STOP WILLOUGHBY.............................

I believe you are looking for a whistle stop in the Twilight Zone called Willoughby Tom.I always wanted to go myself :lol: I don't think I would discount NorCal. I went to High School and we had a resort on Clear Lake in the early 70's. The county is still a dump with no money but you can fall down and catch a fish there hence my desire to head in that direction. It's ''hot" as well but hey I live in Ojai where the sun is like a laser as you well know having fished Casitas for more years than I times 2. The wife will never let us move so I guess I tough it out and fish the pond (Casitas) 3 miles down the street. I don't know that your desire will be easy to accomplish. I wish you the best of luck and would like to hear the how/where/what's of the final chapter ..mchapter is more then likely o

PS You can look at State/county polling results and see if they are in tune in with the dream. :mrgreen:
WRB

Post by WRB »

Rip, my final chapters is more then likely fishing Castias occasionally with who ever in tires me.
I saved a few jigs just to keep those bass honest.
I was borne and raised in SoCal, traveled the world and always returned home. Hate what is going on but it's better then any alternate we can think of...wish things were different.
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

WRB wrote:Rip, my final chapters is more then likely fishing Castias occasionally with who ever in tires me.
I saved a few jigs just to keep those bass honest.
I was borne and raised in SoCal, traveled the world and always returned home. Hate what is going on but it's better then any alternate we can think of...wish things were different.
Tom
Selfishly, I hope you stick around.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY