New IGFA Largemouth Record Approved

WB Staff

New IGFA Largemouth Record Approved

Post by WB Staff »

Meredith McCord’s impressive year is continuing to roll with the approval of this massive 3.8-kilogram (8-pound, 6-ounce) largemouth bass that set the new IGFA Women’s 8-kg (16 lb) Line Class World Record. Meredith was fishing Lake Ezekiel, Texas and quickly landed and released the bass after it struck a Zoom Ultra Vibe Speed Craw. Congrats to Meredith on yet another amazing catch
Attachments
128831207_10158924566843112_1360251400077840091_o.jpg
Justin Hawkins

Re: New IGFA Largemouth Record Approved

Post by Justin Hawkins »

I keep seeing people post about ifga line class records. What exactly is it? Is it basically the biggest fish caught with a certain pound test line or something?
Bass Pro Shopper

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

I keep seeing people post about ifga line class records. What exactly is it? Is it basically the biggest fish caught with a certain pound test line or something?
Yes, that's exactly it... biggest fish (on record) per line test.

Years ago at a night tournament, I caught an 8.5 on 10 pound test. Wondering if I would have had a line class record. Never occurred to me to look it up and/or apply.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
eastbayanglers

Post by eastbayanglers »

This is odd never heard of this, i caught a 14.43 florida strain lm in 2005 on 6lb line still i do not see it as a record very odd
Mike

Post by Mike »

Apparently they have a new world records for women
OG on WB since 1993
Justin Hawkins

Post by Justin Hawkins »

Personally I think it kind of cheapens the idea of a world record. Plus how do they verify you were using 6 lb test and not 12 or 20. Maybe I just don’t understand it fully but it just seems unimpressive. But then again that’s a bigger largemouth she caught than my personal best so....
Morph808

Post by Morph808 »

You would have to send them a sample of the line used for strength testing to make sure it's reasonably within the stated strength rating. That's why certain JDM fishing lines have been developed to be as true to their breaking strength for trophy and record hunters. I'm sure the IGFA website has the instructions of what is needed. On top of that too, you need a scale that is IGFA certified for accuracy, plus photo and eye witnesses of the catch. Lot goes into it.
WRB

Post by WRB »

IGFA record requirements are stringent requiring certified weight, witness, measurements, line sample, lure or bait rig used photo on measurement method, scale certs, examination of the fish by a biologist, valid fishing license and following all the states and lake regulations.
The women’s fresh water records classes were established years ago. My question is can record applications for women prior to establishing fresh water line classy records? I recall Jan Detzel of Phenix rods applying for a women’s LMB record weighing 17 lbs prior to IGFA establishing the class. IGFA grandfathered George Perry’s WR Bass 20 years after fresh water fish records were recognized.
Tom
Larry Hemphill

Depends on where and when a record is caught

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I netted a world record spotted bass two springs ago at Bullards Bar. It was the potential world record for that species caught by a female angler. I was taking Clara Ricabal to Bullard Bar for her first visit to that beautiful lake! We only fished for about 3 hours on a warm afternoon. I got broke off on a monster spotted bass after we caught several in the 12 inch size. I never could stop the toad I told her the afternoon would be good - and it WAS!! Four giant bites - 3 for 16 lbs and the one that broke me off. A monster spot! I have said this before. I have good scales in the boat and they (3 scales) agreed that her spot was 7 lbs 2 oz. An unofficial world record for a female angler. We took a photo of the scale as the monster was weighed. Weighed her on 3 scales. We were in a tough situation to get the record spot officially weighed. It would have taken nearly an hour to get to the nearest official scale and that would have probably ended the monsters life - full of eggs!! Clara almost broke my PB spot at Bullards - 7-14. It would have been a long swim for her - back to the dock - LOL!!