$59 million for Delta Tunnel approved

WB Staff

$59 million for Delta Tunnel approved

Post by WB Staff »

Isleton_Bridge.jpg
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California Board of Directors voted to approve $59 million for funding Delta Tunnel planning on December 7, despite over three hours of testimony by Southern California water ratepayers, environmentalists and Tribal advocates against the funding.

Out of the 80 people who spoke at the meeting, the overwhelming majority, 60, spoke against the tunnel. Only 20 people, including representatives of water districts, spoke on behalf of the the project.

There were four options before the board: 1) pay for MWD’s portion & Kern County’s portion at $75 million; 2) pay for MWD’s portion at $59 million; 3) wait until the Integrated Resources Plan (IRP) is finished in April to vote, or option 4) stop the tunnel by not financing it.

The board chose option 2, while opponents urged the board to vote for option 4 or to delay the decision.

Sierra Club California, who organized hundreds of people to send letters to the board and whose representatives spoke against the funding, said the $59 million expenditure adds to the $50 million the board voted to spend on tunnel planning in April — all coming in the middle of a pandemic surge that is expected to further drag down California’s economy.

The $59 million also follows rate increases imposed in April and a board decision to retain an ad valorem tax in August, according to the Club.

Additionally, four years ago MWD spent $175 million to buy two Delta islands, amidst enormous enormous controversy, to clear the way for tunnel construction.

“No one on the board asked to pull it for discussion, and only one comment was made by a board member- to look into the comment about salt water barriers,” noted Caty Wagner, Southern California Water Organizer for Sierra Club California.

full story https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/1 ... opposition
mark poulson

Re: $59 million for Delta Tunnel approved

Post by mark poulson »

They need the money to pay off :evil: all the bribes it took to get it this far. :evil:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

Let’s sue them all the way to the high court to end this boondoggle...

Need to begin planting environment friendly judges to the benches along the way. :D

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
hydro

Post by hydro »

If these aquatic robber Barons get their way it will be " RIP " Cal Delta .
Won't have to worry about Zebra Mussels infesting the Delta any longer because the native salt water varieties will simply follow the salt water inland from the sea as salt water consumes the Delta .
eastbayanglers

Post by eastbayanglers »

I think to speak or talk about it is not enough i think action should have been taken years ago. I mean whatever it takes kind of action. Even if it mean's crossing the line!

Resources are for us and those who come after us, the way i see it is CA has messed up everything that relates to the outdoors and the management of our resources in the state.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

eastbayanglers wrote:I think to speak or talk about it is not enough i think action should have been taken years ago. I mean whatever it takes kind of action. Even if it mean's crossing the line!

Resources are for us and those who come after us, the way i see it is CA has messed up everything that relates to the outdoors and the management of our resources in the state.
Support Restore the Delta. They are a non-profit and fight for the Delta every day.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY