Help...Battery dying really fast

nate50

Help...Battery dying really fast

Post by nate50 »

Hey everyone, I need some help with finding my power issue. I will start 2 fishing trips ago, I got on the lake around 8am everything worked good, I was running 2 fish finders like normal, then about noon I went to start the motor and dead battery. I moved the cables over to my other batteries and it worked fine. I assumed the cranking battery was bad, it’s 6yrs old and used regularly, I got it checked it and it passed. I rehooked everything back up thinking maybe a wired came loose. I was out fishing yesterday on the water again around 8 and by 10 my battery was died. Once again I rehooked it to my other battery and it worked the rest of the day. When I got home I checked my onboard battery charger and it’s saying everything is charging normal.

Is it possible that the battery is still bad even tho it “passed” the auto part store test?
Is there something else I should check?

I forgot to mention the battery has the motor and fish finders running off it, which is the same setup it has been since buying the boat 6yrs ago.

Thanks for the help in advance
Daves

Re: Help...Battery dying really fast

Post by Daves »

I had that happen to me last year. Replaced the battery and problem solved. I can’t tell you that it’s your battery for certain without more detail; I would suggest that a six year old battery likely is the place to begin. I’d swap batteries and see if your problem goes away.
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

sounds like just an old battery in need of replacement. 6 years is twice as long as I keep mine typically so you got plenty of use out of it. Yes, it can still test good even if it won't last all day because it's still functioning (ie doesn't have a bad cell)….it's just old and tired. If you want to play around you can put a volt meter on it fully charged and then again halfway through the day just to convince yourself...… or you can just replace the battery and be done with it. If by some oddball chance it really is something else at 6 years old you still need a new battery anyhow
GPROJOE@COMCAST.NET

Post by GPROJOE@COMCAST.NET »

are you kidding,,,6 yr old battery and you have questions about it fading out on you? i replace my battery every three yrs,, cheap insurance. a battery will only take x number of charges,before it will start to fade out early. THEN AGAIN,CHEAP BATTERIES DONT TAKE MANY CHARGES.. GET A NEW GOOD NAME BRAND,PROBLEM GONE,,,,,J.G.
steve 101

Post by steve 101 »

I had the same problem with a 3 year old battery. Purchased a new battery problem solved.
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

I upgraded to a group 31 agm, and I still have replaced battery before 5 or 6 years! Once the battery gets iffy, I buy another one.
dvkawboy

Post by dvkawboy »

Get a X2 group 31. 1150 cca 100 ah
nate50

Post by nate50 »

Thanks everyone for their replies. I knew I was on borrowed time with the battery it was an interstate battery that came with the boat, so not one of the high end batteries. It’s a bass tracker so I don’t have a ton of space, I’m running optimum blue top size 34 for my trolling motor. Anyone have any experience with those for a cranking battery?
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I personally have had little luck with Interstate batteries both deep cycle and cranking. I have had much better luck with American brand batteries that are made in Hayward and sold at Boatmasters in Livermore. Like the Interstate the American batteries are standard type batteries that cost between $100-$150 for the group 27 size.
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

Odyssey 2150....I can get you a 20% discount code if you want....
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
Baseball

Post by Baseball »

6 year old Interstate. That’s your problem. Decent cheap battery, but they will only last 2-3 years tops.
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

dvkawboy wrote:Get a X2 group 31. 1150 cca 100 ah
X2. You need this if you’re running graphs and pumps all day.

Those 34’s are smaller batteries and I’d at least put 27’s in there for the trollers....

Make sure you get marine grade batteries and not the auto.

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
Vieira73

Post by Vieira73 »

REPLACE THAT 6 YEAR OLD BATTERY NOW!!!
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

@baitfish....I sent you a PM but I have found that the PMs don't always go out for some reason. I don't know why. You can email me a scott@scottsweet.net.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
Abb

Post by Abb »

I had the same problem my battery was 4 years old Are we placing battery and everything some to work fine until 3 days ago. I notice this time that I was running my life Wells in timer system which I just got replaced. I run rule live well pumps and research pumps. What of the research pumps is noticeably louder than the other. I can run both graphs a 12 in a 16 carbon sonic hub all day noproblems. Until I use my livewells. I have a Suzuki c10 gauge that warns me before voltage gets to low so I didn't get stuck.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Your battery was probably tested incorrectly, needs to be voltage under a load.
Optima Blue top 34M is a multiple use battery and imo not good for TM use or good cranking battery. 6 years think of replacing all your batteries. Marine deep cycle cranking battery and marine deep cycle trolling motor battery or batteries. Definitely go to AGM’s largest size that fit your boat.
Tom
PS, Optima is Interstate
Mark 1

Post by Mark 1 »

Deka 31 AGM by Penn Battery co. Heavy but 100% reliable.