Trout and Panfish series rod / reel combo

arrayscout

Trout and Panfish series rod / reel combo

Post by arrayscout »

Hi Everyone,
Appreciate any opinions for bass fisherman looking for trout and panfish rod/reel combo to add to arsenal.

I would like to get combo that I can alternate between crappie and or trout, if possible, if I ever decide to trout fish.

I’m thinking either:
Shimano Stradic 1000 or Shimano Nasci 1000
paired with
Dobyns Sierra Trout and Panfish series STP741SF, Light not Ultra light (I think these are new) or St Croix Trout and Panfish series, 7 foot, again Light not Ultra light (proven Rod I believe).

I’m thinking that Ultra light is just too Light and doesn’t give me the options to fish larger fish.

I currently have 2 power Dobyns rod and 3 power Shimano rod but with 2500 size reel (15lb braid to 8-10lb leader).

Line; I’m thinking good quality Mono, mainly for stretch. Quite frankly the tying mono to main line braid is a pain for me. I am concerned with fish lip damage too.

Budget, approx $250-$300 for both rod and reel.

Other combo recommendations welcome.

Thanks!
Ken
MT

Re: Trout and Panfish series rod / reel combo

Post by MT »

I bet that Dobyns you mentioned would be a fun rig. I'd go with at least a 1500 or 2000 size reel though. Line can get a little squirrelly with a small diameter spool at times.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Our "light" in the trout/ Panfish is lighter than our regular one powers. These truly are for trout and panfish for throwing the light stuff required for these fish. I did catch a bunch of bass testing these rods. Honestly, I never caught anything over 2 1/2 pounds at Shasta while I was testing these last year but I didn't have a problem and the sensitivity at 45-50 feet was awesome. I agree with MT also, I'd look at a 1500 or 2000 size reel. It seems that reels have down sized to me in the last couple of years. The 2500 of today seems like a 2000 of a few years ago. So I'd probably look at a size 2000 if it was me. THX!!!!
MT

Post by MT »

While we're on the subject of light action.
When are those 0 power finesse bait casters I saw on the website coming out? For me, that would be the perfect Delta rod for all the 9-11 inch fish I catch. ( Most people call these fish 1.5-2lbers). They're not. They're 9-11 inches.
Reminds me of the old Orvis fly-fishing catalogs where the catch was that you could feel the "heartbeat" of a scrappy 8 inch brookie with their 1wt fly rod.
If this post seems sarcastic it's not. I definitely want one of those rods.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

MT, I got a shipment of these in and they were quickly gone. I have more on the way. This super light action casting rod caught me by surprise. I didn't realize how many guys used this light of action caster. I will have in about a month. THX!!!!
arrayscout

Post by arrayscout »

Great info Gary and MT. Really appreciate your replies. I'll grab another 2000 reel and pair with that Dobyns STP741SF. This is going to be fun.

Ken
mahoney

Post by mahoney »

Check out the loomis GL3 or IMX, I own a few American made. Lightest and beyond sensitive in my opinion. Why by Chinese when you can buy American?