Update video. Kent Brown and BassPro Manteca, Ca to the rescue

Drmroneal

Update video. Kent Brown and BassPro Manteca, Ca to the rescue

Post by Drmroneal »

Hey guys,

Here is the update to the previous video of my bad experience with buying a boat from Bass Pro. Kent Brown (Regional Sales Manager for Whit River) and Rick White (Head of Tracker boat center in BP Manteca, Ca), came flying in to resolve a much needed attendance issue. Check out the updated video and see what took place!

https://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/

Last edited by Drmroneal on Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kb

Re: I won’t ever purchase a boat from Bass Pro Shops again. Check out this video

Post by kb »

My name is Kent Brown and I am the Regional Sales Manager in California for White River Marine Group (Nitro Boats). I would be willing to discuss with you the issues you have with your boat however with a westernbass.com handle I don't know your name or contact info. You can email me at KBrown1@whiterivermg.com and I would be happy to contact you. I will need the serial number of your boat and trailer too so have those and I will try to get you taken care of and back on the water happy.

Thank you
Kent Brown
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
Drmroneal

Re: I won’t ever purchase a boat from Bass Pro Shops again. Check out this video

Post by Drmroneal »

ThankYou Mr. Brown for the reply. I have emailed you.
-Dave
george

Post by george »

Let Kent help you out, you are in great hands with him and I promise he will do whatever is within his ability to fix the situation!

George
Pat

Post by Pat »

I also encourage you to give Kent a chance to get your boat right. I left a comment on your YouTube page as well. Good luck and please let us know how this develops. Good Luck

Pat
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

Sure is nice to see someone like Kent Brown offer help and support when needed. Be sure to reach out to him, you’ll be glad you did!

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
MT

Post by MT »

That shop is never going to take care you. Same story pops up over and over again with the same company. Take care of the graphs yourself. Probably something simple from a shitty installation job at the shop. Hopefully you get a new trailer. Once you do, you should never set foot in that place again. You should have never towed the thing home once you saw it had no brakes. If you plan on waiting for the shop to take care of every little problem that pops up with this boat and the trailer you'll never get to use it. Do it yourself and you'll know it's done right.
So far nothing has happened in this case that any lawyer will bother to help you with. I'm sure you're handy enough to get this squared away on your own so dig in and get it right.
Hopefully your Merc never gives you trouble. If it does, take it to Boatmasters.
You asked.
Wish you luck.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Kent's a good guy and will help you take care of the issues with the boat and trailer. Not sure what he can do on the graphs, you may have to deal with Hummingbird direct on them. They're like Mercury, Minnkota and any other "add ons" you get for a boat. Your warranty comes direct from them, not the boat manufacture. HOWEVER, a dealer should, for customer service, help you along the way as much as they can, would just be good for them too. Give Kent a chance.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

Dave,
Unfortunately a new boat is not like a new car, because "add ons" are usually covered by the original manufacturer. That said document everything (names dates times etc although I believe you are doing that) Check warranty info that came with the boat. I believe you'll find Humminbird is a separate company with separate warranty and bps may not be an approved repair center. Humminbird would be responsible for your electronics. (thats why BPS sells all sorts of electronics. If it was an installation problem, then BPS, or the factory I believe would be responsible, but I can tell you as a former sales guy for Humminbird, you need to put the ball in their court and have them tell you to contact BPS.(get names and dates you communicated) When talking with Huimminbird and they want to redirect you to BPS, ask if they have a contact at BPS you can deal with directly. As far as Nitro, I'll echo what others have already said, Kent's the guy. He may even have you contact the humminbird rep. Although after watching your video I believe its in the wiring from the battery to the connection up front and on the dash. I know this sounds stupid, but check connections from the battery forward. Humminbirds are great units, but like all great things every once in awhile a dud comes out. https://www.humminbird.com/
Your answers are probably there. Good Luck. I know its frustrating, but thats the world of fishing
Mike

Post by Mike »

IMO you're being a bit of a drama queen. Out of the thousands of things that can go wrong on a boat, a couple of bolts and graphs acting up aren't anything to "Go to an attorney" about. They came out and fixed your trailer for you and with a quick call to Humminbird, they would have troubleshooted your problem and fixed it or had new units to you in a couple of days.

I get it that you are pissed at BPS for blowing you off, but what did you expect? You knew the risk of buying at a big box store and chose to save a few bucks over buying local and are now playing victim.
OG on WB since 1993
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Big box store or not, a fender shouldn't be falling off a brand new rig...........
Mike

Post by Mike »

monte300 wrote:Big box store or not, a fender shouldn't be falling off a brand new rig...........

You're right... Somewhere between Arkansas and here a couple of bolts came loose. Should have been caught, but again... There are literally thousands of nuts and bolts and things that could that could have gone wrong. Its unrealistic to expect 100% perfection with a boat with so many moving parts that was just shipped 1/2 way across the country. I'd be more pissed about the trailer brake missing and wouldn't have driven it home without it.
OG on WB since 1993
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Mike wrote:
monte300 wrote:Big box store or not, a fender shouldn't be falling off a brand new rig...........

You're right... Somewhere between Arkansas and here a couple of bolts came loose. Should have been caught, but again... There are literally thousands of nuts and bolts and things that could that could have gone wrong. Its unrealistic to expect 100% perfection with a boat with so many moving parts that was just shipped 1/2 way across the country. I'd be more pissed about the trailer brake missing and wouldn't have driven it home without it.
I agree with you regarding the brakes and taking possession of the rig without that. Unfortunately, it sometimes takes the threat of a lawsuit to motivate people to stand by their product.
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

If people did the job they are paid to do.......................................... There is no excuse, none, for the trailer issues.
AnglersPursuit

Post by AnglersPursuit »

Jboutfishn wrote:If people did the job they are paid to do.......................................... There is no excuse, none, for the trailer issues.
Fishing industry is just one of many where a brand can make promises in their advertising and then just ghost when it comes time to stand behind their claims. Then you have brandfans who jump in telling the customer to shut up and don’t say anything negative.

That’s gotta make you feel better than just getting the service they promised huh? Cares you spend thousands and a fender fell off......... :roll:
mm

Post by mm »

Maybe its just a loose wire or wires.
I understand its a new boat and all but just get under the dash and check to see that you have power to the units or that a fuse isn't blown.
These kind of things you will need to know how to troubleshoot if you are going to be a boat owner.
It's a pretty easy and fast thing to check.
Better get used to this kind of stuff ... it happens
zethkinnettfishing

Post by zethkinnettfishing »

My buddies Nitro sat at Cabela's for 6 months! Somewhat recently. 6 month's to make a couple simple repairs. He was more patient than I would have ever been. But he picked it up parked it at his house and went out and bought another boat just so he would never have to deal with them again.
Mark 1

Post by Mark 1 »

Two thoughts come to mind for me. First, I've always found that walking in to the seller and making a personal appearance is like the squeaky wheel grease. Second, as far as the sonar units go it would seem to me that with the existing factory faults, the first place of issue would be in the unit wiring, not the new unit itself.
callwakeup

Post by callwakeup »

ill always pay a bit more for proven quality and service-- always!
Nitro boats -- best layouts, looks, features, and set-ups - best boat dimensions (imo) if Nitro figured out quality control ; fit & fit - and kept same price point & paid lazer focus on service- they would dominate the market.
Drmroneal

Post by Drmroneal »

Mike wrote:IMO you're being a bit of a drama queen. Out of the thousands of things that can go wrong on a boat, a couple of bolts and graphs acting up aren't anything to "Go to an attorney" about. They came out and fixed your trailer for you and with a quick call to Humminbird, they would have troubleshooted your problem and fixed it or had new units to you in a couple of days.

I get it that you are pissed at BPS for blowing you off, but what did you expect? You knew the risk of buying at a big box store and chose to save a few bucks over buying local and are now playing victim.

First off Champ,
Bass pro has the boat in the garage now, and just called me to let me know that the Graphs are completely blown and right to have brought the boat in.
Secondly,
lets pretend for a second that YOU bought a new boat for $50k CASH and you don't have the break trailer upgrade, or cleat upgrade, your fender fell off on the way home, and now BOTH of your graphs are completely blown out.... I don't know about you but if calling me a "drama queen" for being pissed because no one is answering my phone calls or calling me back after all of this happening in 2.5 months, then you must really let people roll all over you and your purchases. some people take it on the chin, and some people want what they buy when spending the equivalent to a small down payment on a house.
Drmroneal

Post by Drmroneal »

george wrote:Let Kent help you out, you are in great hands with him and I promise he will do whatever is within his ability to fix the situation!

George
working on it thanks
Drmroneal

Post by Drmroneal »

MT wrote:That shop is never going to take care you. Same story pops up over and over again with the same company. Take care of the graphs yourself. Probably something simple from a shitty installation job at the shop. Hopefully you get a new trailer. Once you do, you should never set foot in that place again. You should have never towed the thing home once you saw it had no brakes. If you plan on waiting for the shop to take care of every little problem that pops up with this boat and the trailer you'll never get to use it. Do it yourself and you'll know it's done right.
So far nothing has happened in this case that any lawyer will bother to help you with. I'm sure you're handy enough to get this squared away on your own so dig in and get it right.
Hopefully your Merc never gives you trouble. If it does, take it to Boatmasters.
You asked.
Wish you luck.
Bass pro has the boat..
called me and told me that the graphs are burnet out and they are going to replace with new and 99% and upgrade. Things are moving forward
Drmroneal

Post by Drmroneal »

mm wrote:Maybe its just a loose wire or wires.
I understand its a new boat and all but just get under the dash and check to see that you have power to the units or that a fuse isn't blown.
These kind of things you will need to know how to troubleshoot if you are going to be a boat owner.
It's a pretty easy and fast thing to check.
Better get used to this kind of stuff ... it happens
I've owned two boats prier to this. I absolutely know about boat ownership and working on boats bud.
a brand new 2021 $50k boat is a different story.

bass pro has the boat and told me that the graphs are blown out and was right to bring them in. not a power issue
MT

Post by MT »

Drmroneal wrote:
MT wrote:That shop is never going to take care you. Same story pops up over and over again with the same company. Take care of the graphs yourself. Probably something simple from a shitty installation job at the shop. Hopefully you get a new trailer. Once you do, you should never set foot in that place again. You should have never towed the thing home once you saw it had no brakes. If you plan on waiting for the shop to take care of every little problem that pops up with this boat and the trailer you'll never get to use it. Do it yourself and you'll know it's done right.
You asked.
Wish you luck.
Bass pro has the boat..
called me and told me that the graphs are burnet out and they are going to replace with new and 99% and upgrade. Things are moving forward
Did they ship your trailer out yet or will you have to take it to the shop again for that?
Pat

Post by Pat »

Very happy to hear your are getting some progress. Hope it is not too long before you are back on the water enjoying your new boat. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Pat
Drmroneal

Post by Drmroneal »

MT wrote:
Drmroneal wrote:
You asked.
Wish you luck.
Bass pro has the boat..
Did they ship your trailer out yet or will you have to take it to the shop again for that?
Trailer is gonna be shipped. I will have to bring it back in for that. I’m dealing with two basspro locations. The one I bought it from seems pretty unorganized and inattentive. So Kent Brown was able to get me into Manteca basspro (where I should have bought it originally) they seem to be on their game. Unfortunately, my trailer is being shipped to the original BP.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Drmroneal wrote:
Mike wrote:IMO you're being a bit of a drama queen. Out of the thousands of things that can go wrong on a boat, a couple of bolts and graphs acting up aren't anything to "Go to an attorney" about. They came out and fixed your trailer for you and with a quick call to Humminbird, they would have troubleshooted your problem and fixed it or had new units to you in a couple of days.

First off Champ,
Bass pro has the boat in the garage now, and just called me to let me know that the Graphs are completely blown and right to have brought the boat in.
Secondly,
lets pretend for a second that YOU bought a new boat for $50k CASH and you don't have the break trailer upgrade, or cleat upgrade, your fender fell off on the way home, and now BOTH of your graphs are completely blown out.... I don't know about you but if calling me a "drama queen" for being pissed because no one is answering my phone calls or calling me back after all of this happening in 2.5 months, then you must really let people roll all over you and your purchases. some people take it on the chin, and some people want what they buy when spending the equivalent to a small down payment on a house.

hahahaha you paid $50 for a 18' Nitro????!!!! hahahahaha

Nice Flex...…..But, I also paid cash for my boat but its a 21' Phoenix. Sorry about your luck!
OG on WB since 1993
WRB

Post by WRB »

I will not buy anything from BPS again after they purchased Cabalas killing the headquarter town of Sidney NB.
Tom
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

Mike wrote:
Drmroneal wrote:

First off Champ,
Secondly,

Nice Flex...…..But, I also paid cash for my boat but its a 21' Phoenix. Sorry about your luck!
:lol: This is hilarious, I feel bad for the guy. BPS is garbage. But, it is like ordering a steak at Denny’s and expecting Ruth Chris. Video could have been 5 minutes instead of 30. Nice boat though, I’m sure it’ll get sorted out, no legal action needed though that’s crazy
AnglersPursuit

Post by AnglersPursuit »

So it’s ok to bash some brands, but not the ones some guys on here like?

It’s ok to bash a guy who got screwed over by a brand because hey it wasn’t you and that’s not the brand you’d buy.

No wonder the angling community is so fractured and all these groups looking to kill fishing find us such easy targets. Look how we treat each other.

Dudes literally been called a drama queen and was laughed at for buying a 50k boat and having issues with it.

Cool flex fellow anglers!
Baseball

Post by Baseball »

I agree! I feel sorry for the guy! He was honestly just asking and looking for our help. He found Kent Brown. Great guy! Mike likes pissing people off and telling truth. But he’s a stud on the delta!
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Thank you AnglersPursuit, I couldn't have said it better myself
monte300

Post by monte300 »

JoeLanghans wrote:
Mike wrote:
Drmroneal wrote:

First off Champ,
Secondly,

:lol: This is hilarious, I feel bad for the guy. BPS is garbage. But, it is like ordering a steak at Denny’s and expecting Ruth Chris. Video could have been 5 minutes instead of 30. Nice boat though, I’m sure it’ll get sorted out, no legal action needed though that’s crazy
Speaking of Denny's I taught my children this: Denny's is fine and dandy for breakfast and lunch. When you want to make Denny's your last choice is for dinner. I cringe when I think of those salty mashed potatoes and gravy and the bland vegetables. :D
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

Grand Slam for breakfast and Grand Slam for dinner! :D

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
monte300

Post by monte300 »

gabuelhaj wrote:Grand Slam for breakfast and Grand Slam for dinner! :D

Good luck!
Atta boy, skip the dinner menu!!
CBoat

Post by CBoat »

I had my axle break on the freeway at speed. It is not a small thing. I was very lucky to come out of it alive. The smoke coming from my tire could have been seen from space. It fortunately got lodged in the fender and didn't go flying through somebody's windshield. 8 hours later when there was a tow truck that could handle this trailer and load it, I finally made it to BoatMasters in the rain at about 1:00 Am in the morning

Leaving bolts loose on a trailer is simply negligence from a boat builder who has 30 years of experience. Bass Pro Shops is supposed to be pros at building boats - this is what they profess. They are fortunate no one got hurt from a fender that would have likely flown off onto traffic if Dave was on the freeway. Let's also talk about the anxiety and time lost on Dave's part. He didn't pay one of the oldest and supposedly trusted boat builders to be told to go away, your hummingbird got wet. Bass Pro Shops not only needs to make this right but needs to go over the top. Throw in a $3,000.00 gift certificate for Dave's time.

That is the least they can do. Bad press moves fast especially when a rep from bass pro blames the owner for getting the Hummingbird wet. I can tell you this, the trailer and that comment alone would put me over the top. I think Dave is maintaining his cool pretty well given the circumstances. I will not come near this boatmaker ever. They need to make this right in a big way. Dave, keep us in the loop and if they don't make it right to your satisfaction, let us know.
Last edited by CBoat on Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
In the beginning, there was nothing, then suddenly there was something, then it exploded and turned into everything in the universe, all by itself. OR In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth.
Trace

Post by Trace »

I did not think you could buy an 18 ft boat in CA new that comes with a trailer without brakes. DMV. Requires brakes on a trailer and load exceeding 1500 pounds. I may be wrong, I don't think everyone buying a new boat package would think of that, but a legitimate dealer like Bass Pro should. There are many on here smarter than me who can chime in and share their knowledge.
Drmroneal

Post by Drmroneal »

AnglersPursuit wrote:So it’s ok to bash some brands, but not the ones some guys on here like?

It’s ok to bash a guy who got screwed over by a brand because hey it wasn’t you and that’s not the brand you’d buy.

No wonder the angling community is so fractured and all these groups looking to kill fishing find us such easy targets. Look how we treat each other.

Dudes literally been called a drama queen and was laughed at for buying a 50k boat and having issues with it.

Cool flex fellow anglers!
Thanks man... these guys forget KVD rolls a nitro....
The guys who actually can turn this around on me, have major life issues. Their wives probably hate them. Never thought I’d see someone compare a Brand new nitro PRO series for $50k, to s “a steak at Denny’s” LOL. Yea, their wives probably compare them to that same reference :lol:
Drmroneal

Post by Drmroneal »

Mike wrote:
Drmroneal wrote:

First off Champ,
Secondly,

Oh man! A 21’ Phoenix?! Holy **** man! You are like, so fucking rad!
I noticed you left the year and how much you spent “cash” for it dip ****.
Secondly, it doesn’t matter what boat you have, if you spend your days internet trolling fellow bass fisherman. You may as well be rolling out in a canoe! Hahaha zero respect...

And btw, the Nitro isn’t the problem. It’s the trailer, and electronics. Pay attention next time to the facts before cracking your finger and typing away at a guy huh?
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Like my old prop guy Mel Biggs used to say, "all boats are good, some are better than others"
JL

Post by JL »

Seems to me that SOME people love to kick a guy when he is down! You had a legit problem and a very good reason to be upset! Thanks for bringing this problem to the forum. When it gets fixed, I'm sure you can update all of us on that as well. Good luck and good fishing!
kb

Post by kb »

At this point Bass Pro Shops has gotten his boat to the Manteca store, they have replaced and upgraded his electronics, installed the tie down cleat and we are currently waiting on the new trailer with brakes to be delivered where we will meet him at a nearby launch ramp and switch the trailer and take care of the DMV paperwork.

At this point he can take his boat fishing on the original trailer with no issue until the new trailer is here so his boat is able to get him on the water.

I have spoken with Dave several times during this entire time as have the service department at the Manteca and San Jose stores. When I spoke with him last night he was happy, waiting on his new trailer and excited to get on the water. I am glad we were able to address his issues and get him taken care of. The last thing I told him last night was "send me a fish picture" and he said he would........

I hope this clears up any issues for Dave and we will be happy to help him at either store if there is another issue he needs help with.

The weather is nice let's all go catch one!
Kent Brown
California Regional Sales Manager
White River Marine Group
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
JL

Post by JL »

Sounds like a happy ending to the nightmare! Sounds like YOU Kent Brown went all out for a customer! That is appreciated by us bass anglers for sure! Take care Kent! :D
Pat

Post by Pat »

Very glad to hear this is getting worked out. I am betting once this first chapter is finished you will be very happy with your new boat. I know that we are extremely pleased with out 2021 Z19. Good luck on the water and catch a bunch!