Video - How to Split Shot for Bass

Bassdrool

Video - How to Split Shot for Bass

Post by Bassdrool »

https://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/

In today's video I talk about a technique that is greatly overlooked in the sport of bass fishing today. The Split Shot rig is one of the best rigs ever created when it comes to catching bass during some of the toughest times of year. It has been overshadowed by the drop shot, ned rig, Neko rig, Shaky head, etc. I go over the setup, how to use, when to use, and why you should use the split shot rig.
JL

Re: Video - How to Split Shot for Bass

Post by JL »

Thanks for doing that video on splitshottin! My buddies and I caught a ton of bass using that method fishing the Motherlode lakes like McClure, Pedro and Melones while we were in the Military at Castle AFB in Atwater. Its been sooooo long since I've used it, but after watching your video I think I'm going to rig up one! We used to splitshot 4in Keeper worms and reapers. One other lake we fished a lot and used that rig to great success was Los Banos Creek reservoir. There were some Donkeys in that lake during the late 80's early 90's! Not sure if its still as good now? Thanks again for sharing that video! :D
Bassjunkie17

Post by Bassjunkie17 »

I used to throw a 'light carolina rig' it's just like this rig but slides.
Thanks for the share. :D
WRB

Post by WRB »

Dick Trask is smiling :D
I used the slip shot rig the past 40 years: mojo weight, glass bead, Carolina Keeper and Light wire hooks. Owners 5133 size 1/0 is ideal. Use premium mono in lieu of FC to keep line from dragging the bottom. I use 5 lb Maxima UG copolymer.
Next reintroduce dart heads.
Tom
PS, split shot use round shot no ears. Pinch the shot on the line and slowly pull line through the shot to cut a groove re crimp. Cut off any flatten line then tie the hook on.
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

WRB wrote:Dick Trask is smiling :D
I used the slip shot rig the past 40 years: mojo weight, glass bead, Carolina Keeper and Light wire hooks. Owners 5133 size 1/0 is ideal. Use premium mono in lieu of FC to keep line from dragging the bottom. I use 5 lb Maxima UG copolymer.
Next reintroduce dart heads.
Tom
PS, split shot use round shot no ears. Pinch the shot on the line and slowly pull line through the shot to cut a groove re crimp. Cut off any flatten line then tie the hook on.
Right!!??? Trask was the king of that technique! I use an owner Rig n hook #2 for small, reaper like baits and no larger than a #1.0 for any worms. I like the sliding sinker rig vs. pinching the shot also... the less weight the fish senses, the more likely it is to hold on.
Always lookin' for mud lines!
https://signarama.com/locations/ca-ventura/
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

I don't think it works, but in the late 2000's I caught big fish award two tournaments in a row- one with Mike Reese, one with Brandon Ober.
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Tell Brandon I said Hey. I won AOY in the Santa Barbara Club from the backseat doing nothing but splitshotting in 88. In 89 I broke my wrist and sprain the other and missed AOY from the front seat of my own boat by 1 point doing the same thing. I break out a small C-rig version of it every winter here at Casitas but because of the jungle here now in the 25 or shallower range I downshot the rest of the year.

Rip
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!