Umbrella rigs - a little help please

BASNFAN

Umbrella rigs - a little help please

Post by BASNFAN »

I bought my first umbrella rig today and plan on trying it at Lake berryessa on Thursday. First, it is my understanding that in California, we can have baits attached with three hooks. There are five snap swivels off the five arms for five baits. What do you put on the other two? Do you rig them on jig heads and then cut off the hooks?
Fish bite twice a day - half hour before I get there and half hour after I leave.
scott39

Re: Umbrella rigs - a little help please

Post by scott39 »

https://www.walmart.com/ip/50Pcs-Stainl ... /693730365
Use these. Get them at most tackle stores. Good luck! Rig fishing is a blast
Dobyns Rods
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I add a Willow Leaf Spinner Bait Blade to the other two arms. You can use bigger or smaller depending on what size baits you are using.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
nate50

Post by nate50 »

My suggestion is go to tactical bassin website and search for a-rigs. Matt and Tim have done an excellent job over the years explaining how to set up the rigs and how to fish them.
ZacktheWop

Post by ZacktheWop »

scott39 wrote:https://www.walmart.com/ip/50Pcs-Stainl ... /693730365
Use these. Get them at most tackle stores. Good luck! Rig fishing is a blast
This right here! Use these on the shortest of the two arms and twist on decoy baits.
MT

Post by MT »

Make sure you cut off any hardware on the top two wires. Attach the centering pins directly to the wires. They'll spin if you have swivels in the mix.
BASNFAN

Post by BASNFAN »

Thanks for the help guys! I put together a rig based on Tactical Bassin tutorial and used it today and got absolutely no bites at all. I did use too heavy a jig head on my three hooked baits and will be lightening them up. But I can't say there was any other problem with the set up as no matter what I threw today, I only had one for sure bite. We were in the main lake at Berryessa, in the narrows, fishing flats, fishing rocks, fishing shallow, and fishing deep. My partner did catch a nice crappie about 15 inches long but that was it. Not the first time I have been skunked. :)
Fish bite twice a day - half hour before I get there and half hour after I leave.
Phishphinder

Post by Phishphinder »

Flash mob jr is economical with 1/8 oz strike king redfish heads. The eye is pushed further towards the front of the jig head. Also, use owner screw locks for your top two teasers.
Pepsi man

Post by Pepsi man »

BASNFAN wrote:Thanks for the help guys! I put together a rig based on Tactical Bassin tutorial and used it today and got absolutely no bites at all. I did use too heavy a jig head on my three hooked baits and will be lightening them up. But I can't say there was any other problem with the set up as no matter what I threw today, I only had one for sure bite. We were in the main lake at Berryessa, in the narrows, fishing flats, fishing rocks, fishing shallow, and fishing deep. My partner did catch a nice crappie about 15 inches long but that was it. Not the first time I have been skunked. :)
Try letting it sink to the bottom and pop it up a few feet and slow reeling. Lift the rod or reel faster of you start feeling the ground, those fully rigged are expensive.