Trolling motor power

Bayarea-bassin

Trolling motor power

Post by Bayarea-bassin »

Was out on the delta last Saturday and noticed my trolling motor lost power after I hit some rocks. It’s never had any problems just from hitting the occasional rock. The batteries are fine and my onboard bank charger says they are all good when I plugged it in. The propellor still spins but it was very weak in the water and when I pulled it out it would spin faster and even seemed close to normal speed out of the water. I heard a little noise but who knows because I never paid that close of attention to the noise of the propellor spinning when it’s out the water. I’m going back Wednesday to see if maybe it was just a drained battery, but I’m thinking it’s the brushes and/or armature. The parts are a little over $100 from what I’ve read. I’m pretty mechanically inclined, but would rather have someone that specializes in this or has done this before. My boats currently wet birthed at bethel island. Does anybody know a mobile mechanic that could swap out the parts if I need to? I have no way of towing it to be worked on. I’m hoping it was just the battery drained down, but I’m not that lucky!!! I’ll know for sure Wednesday, but just thought I’d post this to get a jump start since the bite on the delta is only gonna get better and I don’t want to miss out on the fun. I also noticed when I pulled the trolling motor out of the water, a lot of water would come out where the prop is attached to the body. I don’t know if that’s normal because I’ve never really looked that hard when I pulled my trolling motor out because I’ve never had issues with it. It’s also about 6/7 years old. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Bayarea-bassin

Re: Trolling motor power

Post by Bayarea-bassin »

Also my trolling motor is a minnkota maxxum 70lb thrust 24v
Bassfishman

Post by Bassfishman »

When you turn the prop by hand does it make any grinding sound our scraping sound? If so I would wonder if one of the magnets got broken. This happened to me. My motor would actually work but it sounded like a freight train it was grinding and scraping so badly. I ended up buying a new one and plan on repairing the broken one for a back up. Mine is a Fortrex.
Bayarea-bassin

Post by Bayarea-bassin »

Bassfishman wrote:When you turn the prop by hand does it make any grinding sound our scraping sound? If so I would wonder if one of the magnets got broken. This happened to me. My motor would actually work but it sounded like a freight train it was grinding and scraping so badly. I ended up buying a new one and plan on repairing the broken one for a back up. Mine is a Fortrex.
I’ll try that on Wednesday and see if I hear any grinding or scraping noise. Thanks for the input.
minnkotaman

Post by minnkotaman »

pull your prop.

you have sheared your prop pin.

Jim l.
Bayarea-bassin

Post by Bayarea-bassin »

minnkotaman wrote:pull your prop.

you have sheared your prop pin.

Jim l.
Where can I buy a new prop pin before Wednesday? I live in the south bay. Bass pro shops?
Bayarea-bassin

Post by Bayarea-bassin »

Are they easy to install?
Bayarea-bassin

Post by Bayarea-bassin »

I found a prop nut kit at bass pro shop for $10. Gonna pick it up tonight and hopefully it’s only the prop pin and not the brushes and armature. Thanks for the input minnkota man
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

If it's the Pin, the the prop shaft will turn when you try to take off the nut. You'll need to use a flat screw driver and a 9/16ths deep socket and some vice grips to get it off. Put the screw driver thru the socket and then put the socket onto the nut, clamp the socket with the vice grips and then turn the screw driver on the shaft to remove.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Bayarea-bassin

Post by Bayarea-bassin »

Tank you minnkota man. Pulled the prop off and sure enough the pin was broken on both sides. Popped it out put a new one and ran strong all day. Thank you also Mitch fir the tips to get the prop off. I love easy fixes. Gives me more $$$$ to spend on baits!!