CA and Feds Still Plan to Drain Reservoirs & Kill Salmon

Moderators: MKA, Caudawg

WB Staff
Posts: 9678
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:56 am

CA and Feds Still Plan to Drain Reservoirs & Kill Salmon

Postby WB Staff » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:27 pm

logofb.v2.png


Updated water supply allocations announced last week would still drain upstream reservoirs in order to deliver 4.5 million acre feet of water to the contractors of the federal Central Valley Project (CVP) and State Water Project (SWP), devastating fish and wildlife. This week, the fisheries biologists at the National Marine Fisheries Service projected that these planned operations are likely to result in lethal water temperatures that will kill 89% of endangered winter-run Chinook salmon below Shasta Dam this year. This mortality estimate is even worse than what was observed in 2014 and 2015, when salmon populations were devastated by warm water in their spawning grounds. But it doesn’t have to be this way if the State and Feds act now to increase reservoir storage and take other actions to reduce water temperatures that kill salmon and steelhead.

FULL STORY:
https://www.nrdc.org/experts/doug-obegi ... ill-salmon

eastbayanglers
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:49 pm

Re: CA and Feds Still Plan to Drain Reservoirs & Kill Salmon

Postby eastbayanglers » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:32 pm

Take a stand now! Or watch it vanish forever, what will be left state is in peril. :oops:

gabuelhaj
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Manteca

Re: CA and Feds Still Plan to Drain Reservoirs & Kill Salmon

Postby gabuelhaj » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:05 am

It's not all doom and gloom, just add a State water project tunnel to get the extra water needed to maintain their environment and habitat!

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj

mark poulson
Posts: 9955
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 4:16 am
Location: Antioch, CA

Re: CA and Feds Still Plan to Drain Reservoirs & Kill Salmon

Postby mark poulson » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:54 am

gabuelhaj wrote:It's not all doom and gloom, just add a State water project tunnel to get the extra water needed to maintain their environment and habitat!

Good luck!


Extra water from where? The Sierra snowpack is at 60% and melting fast.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY

gabuelhaj
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Manteca

Re: CA and Feds Still Plan to Drain Reservoirs & Kill Salmon

Postby gabuelhaj » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:20 pm

mark poulson wrote:
gabuelhaj wrote:It's not all doom and gloom, just add a State water project tunnel to get the extra water needed to maintain their environment and habitat!

Good luck!


Extra water from where? The Sierra snowpack is at 60% and melting fast.


As to their way of promising water:

"the state’s precipitation is increasingly coming in the form of big storms in-between extended dry periods."

Looks like the plan is doing a rain dance every couple of years to make the magic happen.....

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj

mark poulson
Posts: 9955
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 4:16 am
Location: Antioch, CA

Re: CA and Feds Still Plan to Drain Reservoirs & Kill Salmon

Postby mark poulson » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:26 pm

gabuelhaj wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
gabuelhaj wrote:It's not all doom and gloom, just add a State water project tunnel to get the extra water needed to maintain their environment and habitat!

Good luck!


Extra water from where? The Sierra snowpack is at 60% and melting fast.


As to their way of promising water:

"the state’s precipitation is increasingly coming in the form of big storms in-between extended dry periods."

Looks like the plan is doing a rain dance every couple of years to make the magic happen.....

Good luck!

Even if we have an El Nino, I'm guessing there's not enough storage to save more than a year's worth, two at the most. Our droughts are lasting longer than that.
Attitude plus effort equal success

CLEAN AND DRY


Return to “Fishing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Topwater All Day and 43 guests