What prop pitch for Lake Tahoe?

Steve in Simi

What prop pitch for Lake Tahoe?

Post by Steve in Simi »

Hey guys. I’m taking my Nitro Z7 with a Merc 150 Four Stroke to Lake Tahoe in a couple of weeks. I’m running a 23 pitch Tempest at low elevations. I’m thinking I’ll need to find a different prop for the trip. What pitch would you recommend for the 6500’ elevation up there?
WRB

Re: What prop pitch for Lake Tahoe?

Post by WRB »

You will lose about 20% hp, should be OK getting on a plane. Ideally a 21P 3 blade/20P 4 blade for optimal performance.
Your engine is fuel injected and computer should adjust OK, carbs need smaller jets.
Similar to Big Bear lake, newer OB’s handle higher altitude lot better then the older carb engines.
Tom
Steve in Simi

Post by Steve in Simi »

Thanks Tom. My previous experience with altitude was at Big Bear Lake over 10 years ago. I had a Skeeter with a 175 carbureted two-stroke then. That thing ran great at lower elevations but didn’t even like to idle up there. I had to change to a 15 pitch prop to get it up on plane. Then I could only go about 30-35 mph or it would slip. I’m looking forward to a modern engine experience with the 4 stroke. Steve
WRB

Post by WRB »

Big Bear is 7,200’ and your carb engine needed smaller jets and 19P prop to run good up there.
Just get a 21P aluminum prop for vacation use at Tahoe and makes a good emergency prop.
Tahoe is a beautiful clear water lake, enjoy your vacation.
Tom