Delta trap fishing

Riley201dc

Delta trap fishing

Post by Riley201dc »

Wondering if any delta rats want to share some knowledge on preferred rod/reel/line setups for ripping rattle traps threw hydrilla and other submerged grass. Thanks in advance. I current have a dobyns 704cb but it is pretty light whenever I get around the grass
Attachments
01DBFFBD-5D0C-40DD-9BCD-D7B88A87FE8D.jpeg
Last edited by Riley201dc on Wed May 19, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Dobyns

Re: Delta trap fishing

Post by Gary Dobyns »

The 704CB is an excellent rod for Shasta, Oroville, Pedro, and all the reservoirs like this in NorCal, but lacks the power for cover and grass in the Delta. There's really a bunch of rods that will handle traps in the Delta. I'll list some of the most popular: 735 CB Glass, 736 CB Glass, 705 CB, 706 CB, 765 CB, 733 C, and 734C. Plus there's many others that guys use and like there. Because of the grass I like a faster rod than a CB Mod-Fast action. A faster action rod makes it far easier to snap the rod tip and clear the grass off the bait. So I mostly recommend a 733 or 734C. I prefer the 734C Champ as it has more power and I prefer this around cover. But many prefer the 733C as it's lighter in action and a better load to the rod for casting. If you have one of these models give them a try and if you like or dislike the way they fish, it'll be easier to steer you into the exact rod that fits you. THX!!
Riley201dc

Post by Riley201dc »

Gary Dobyns wrote:The 704CB is an excellent rod for Shasta, Oroville, Pedro, and all the reservoirs like this in NorCal, but lacks the power for cover and grass in the Delta. There's really a bunch of rods that will handle traps in the Delta. I'll list some of the most popular: 735 CB Glass, 736 CB Glass, 705 CB, 706 CB, 765 CB, 733 C, and 734C. Plus there's many others that guys use and like there. Because of the grass I like a faster rod than a CB Mod-Fast action. A faster action rod makes it far easier to snap the rod tip and clear the grass off the bait. So I mostly recommend a 733 or 734C. I prefer the 734C Champ as it has more power and I prefer this around cover. But many prefer the 733C as it's lighter in action and a better load to the rod for casting. If you have one of these models give them a try and if you like or dislike the way they fish, it'll be easier to steer you into the exact rod that fits you. THX!!
Thanks Gary I have both the 743c and 733c and had not thought to try them. I will give them a shot thanks!
Fishermans Warehouse Megastore

Post by Fishermans Warehouse Megastore »

Most rod companies use the same numbering system for their rods. For example a 733C = first two numbers is length, last number is power 1 being lightest, 6 being stiffest in most cases. G Loomis uses letters in front of the numbers to indicate there series like = MB for mag bass series. Behind the numbers are letters like CB for crankbait series and most are glass rods for cranking.

For your questions about the Delta - when fishing underwater grass, there are many options but here is what I recommend for blades, ChatterBaits and cranksbaits. I use anywhere between a 7 to 7 1/2' rod in a 3 power with a fast action. Paired with a 7:1 gear ratio reel filled with 50# braid tied right to the lure.

If I'm in really clear water, I will use a two foot piece of 25# fluorocarbon to the braid with an Alberto knot.

Hope this helps you and if you have any questions come on into Fishermans Warehouse and we'll help you!

Alan Fong
Fisherman's Warehouse Sacramento
(916) 362-1200
Riley201dc

Post by Riley201dc »

Fishermans Warehouse Megastore wrote:Most rod companies use the same numbering system for their rods. For example a 733C = first two numbers is length, last number is power 1 being lightest, 6 being stiffest in most cases. G Loomis uses letters in front of the numbers to indicate there series like = MB for mag bass series. Behind the numbers are letters like CB for crankbait series and most are glass rods for cranking.

For your questions about the Delta - when fishing underwater grass, there are many options but here is what I recommend for blades, ChatterBaits and cranksbaits. I use anywhere between a 7 to 7 1/2' rod in a 3 power with a fast action. Paired with a 7:1 gear ratio reel filled with 50# braid tied right to the lure.

If I'm in really clear water, I will use a two foot piece of 25# fluorocarbon to the braid with an Alberto knot.

Hope this helps you and if you have any questions come on into Fishermans Warehouse and we'll help you!

Alan Fong
Fisherman's Warehouse Sacramento
(916) 362-1200
Thanks Alan