Holland Marina Ramp

Simon

Holland Marina Ramp

Post by Simon »

They are installing concrete panels on the Launch Ramp. Good traction, No holes in the wood and no metal grate coming apart. Glad they did it.
Baseball

Re: Holland Marina Ramp

Post by Baseball »

When? I was there yesterday. Launched at dead low tide. The grading definitely needed fixing. That will be a great improvement.
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Baseball wrote:When? I was there yesterday. Launched at dead low tide. The grading definitely needed fixing. That will be a great improvement.
Yeah I launched there Saturday and it was same old wood/metal grating. Hopefully it is a work in progress. Great place to launch and price is right.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I store my boat at Whiskey Slough but years ago I used the Holland Riverside launch regularly. The condition of that ramp was always subject to ownership. Many years ago they let the condition of that entire place go to hell. Then someone bought it and made major repairs. It's a great central location. What is the condition of the bathrooms, store and gas dock nowadays?

Another good place to launch is at Orwood. It costs $15 to launch, the same as Whiskey Slough. It's a good quality ramp, but it's an absolute zoo at Orwood on the weekends with ski boats.
P.bass

Post by P.bass »

About time! Lost my trailer license plate there once when the wood/grate was at it's sketchiest.
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

Darren is the new owner and he is doing a good job of fixing the place up.
My favorite place to launch.
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

From Holland Marina

*******HOLLAND HAS NEW CONCRETE RAMPS******
Attachments
188305859_773674076602818_5748254309738601406_n.jpg
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Looks great! Does anyone remember the gawd awful porta-john that was there around 30-35 years ago? Possibly the worst ever :mrgreen:
Caleb.Smith

Post by Caleb.Smith »

Wish every ramp on the river would maintain their ramps like this! Lets bring the delta back!
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Caleb.Smith wrote:Wish every ramp on the river would maintain their ramps like this! Lets bring the delta back!
I agree Whiskey Slough is also keeping up with the times regarding their ramp and bathrooms. The guys there said management is planning to add onto their already massive dry storage building, because the original one is now almost full. They have a huge forklift and they stack boats on their trailers three high. I pay $199 a month to store my 19' Triton and that gets me valet service, batteries charged and six free launches a month. They launch me while I'm sitting at the helm and when I'm done for the day I simply tie my boat to the dock, get in my truck and go home. Pretty slick for a guy a year away from retirement to not have to do my own trailering and launching.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

WB Staff wrote:From Holland Marina

*******HOLLAND HAS NEW CONCRETE RAMPS******
That looks good.
Have they improved security, too?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

It’s a nice facility. Launched there many times for many years. Never had a problem. Just like anywhere, it’s best not to leave valuables in a vehicle.
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

I launched out of there on Friday. The ramp is awesome.
Darren and his crew are doing a great job with the place.
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Well, I launched out of Holland this morning to get my first surprise of the day. Launch fee has increased to $15 for boats. New envelopes with new prices along with new price on the door of the store. Upon launching, I noticed that the launch ramp seems to have shallower angle now when launching. Didn’t think much of it and fished for the day. At the end of the day, I backed my trailer into the water to the normal spot on the bunks. As I idled my boat onto the trailer, i heard a grinding sound as if my prop hit the cement on the ramp. Apparently, with the shallower angle of the ramp, I needed to trim my motor way up prior to idling onto the trailer. Costly mistake and now I need to get my prop worked. I’ve been running boats on and off trailers on ramps for over 20 years and never had this happen. So just be careful when launching at Holland now with the shallower ramp angle. Don’t want this to happen to anybody else.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

185vsfrog wrote:Well, I launched out of Holland this morning to get my first surprise of the day. Launch fee has increased to $15 for boats. New envelopes with new prices along with new price on the door of the store. Upon launching, I noticed that the launch ramp seems to have shallower angle now when launching. Didn’t think much of it and fished for the day. At the end of the day, I backed my trailer into the water to the normal spot on the bunks. As I idled my boat onto the trailer, i heard a grinding sound as if my prop hit the cement on the ramp. Apparently, with the shallower angle of the ramp, I needed to trim my motor way up prior to idling onto the trailer. Costly mistake and now I need to get my prop worked. I’ve been running boats on and off trailers on ramps for over 20 years and never had this happen. So just be careful when launching at Holland now with the shallower ramp angle. Don’t want this to happen to anybody else.
I did exactly the same thing a few years ago on Tiki Lagun’s ramp haven’t been there since
TritonBrent

Post by TritonBrent »

185vsfrog wrote:Well, I launched out of Holland this morning to get my first surprise of the day. Launch fee has increased to $15 for boats. New envelopes with new prices along with new price on the door of the store. Upon launching, I noticed that the launch ramp seems to have shallower angle now when launching. Didn’t think much of it and fished for the day. At the end of the day, I backed my trailer into the water to the normal spot on the bunks. As I idled my boat onto the trailer, i heard a grinding sound as if my prop hit the cement on the ramp. Apparently, with the shallower angle of the ramp, I needed to trim my motor way up prior to idling onto the trailer. Costly mistake and now I need to get my prop worked. I’ve been running boats on and off trailers on ramps for over 20 years and never had this happen. So just be careful when launching at Holland now with the shallower ramp angle. Don’t want this to happen to anybody else.

I have heard other people say this same thing and I don't get it to be honest. Your trailer bunks are no closer to the ground on a ramp than they are sitting on flat ground (regardless how steep the ramp is). If your motor doesn't hit ground on flat ground, its not going to hit on any ramp either. How did your prop hit cement before the skeg?

Not saying your claim is false but I just don't understand the logic lol

Now if the ramp has a hump or sticks up at the end of the flat cement ramp, that could be a issue and cause your motor to bump into something.
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Brent, i was thinking the same thing. I don’t understand how the skeg didn’t get destroyed also. My skeg had prior dings and scrapes so it would be hard to tell unless it was broke off which it wasn’t. I’m not sure how the prop got it so bad unless somehow the skeg fell into a slot or something in the ramp and the prop got nailed. I’m 100 percent that the prop got it on the ramp. I heard the prop when it hit. Either way, damage is done and life goes on. Costly lesson learned and from now on, I will be trimmed half way up every time I put my boat back on the trailer.
MasterBassinator

Post by MasterBassinator »

Yeah the new ramp looks a little sketchy to me. I scoped out the end of it and it looks like the point end of a wedge laying over deep water. I would be careful launching at low tide.