Sacramento Perch

JRapps

Sacramento Perch

Post by JRapps »

Good day.
This is my first post here.
I am a retired aquatic biologist headed to the Napa area later this week for 10 days.

The topic of this post pertains to Sacramento Perch, Archoplites interruptus.
I am aware of the species plight in Northern California and have communicated with colleagues regarding their current (non) status in the area.
There are multiple locations where they used to be found.
I know that they can be still be caught in a few places such as Lake Crowley and Pyramid Lake.
Those places are quite far from the Napa area.

I am asking forum members if anyone is aware of recent Sacramento Perch catches in the greater San Francisco - Santa Rosa - Sacramento vicinity.
There is a good possibility (hope so, anyway) that stable Sac Perch populations still exist in private ponds or lakes (farm, winery, etc) where non-native sunfish have not yet been introduced.

My goal is to collect or acquire about 10-12 juveniles in order to establish a potential captive breeding population of this unique species.

Please feel free to reply to this thread directly or, if you'd rather not share your Sac Perch location in public, you are welcome to pm me.

Thanks in advance!
Johnson

Re: Sacramento Perch

Post by Johnson »

They are in Almanor. My buddy caught two in June last year.
Attachments
D83B26B4-E48A-4B5C-9146-AD9D0CEDA235.jpeg
JRapps

Post by JRapps »

Thanks so much for sharing that info!
That's a great photo.

I am glad to hear that Sac Perch are in Lake Almanor and will surely pass that info along to those who are associated with the ongoing research on this species.
Maybe it's a little too optimistic of me to learn of recent occurrences from locations closer to SFO - Santa Rosa - Sacramento area.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

It looks closer to crappie than perch
hydro

Post by hydro »

If you need some genetic diversity I hear Topaz lake off 395 south of Carson city Nevada has some big Sacramento perch living in it .
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

Clear Lake

Haven't caught one myself there in 3-4 years but I was watching diving birds during December eating what I'm pretty sure was juvenile tule perch
JRapps

Post by JRapps »

hydro wrote:If you need some genetic diversity I hear Topaz lake off 395 south of Carson city Nevada has some big Sacramento perch living in it .
Thank you hydro.
Every bit of input is appreciated.
I have read that they are there as well.
It’s the western CA counties where these fish used to thrive that are not conducive to Sac perch fisheries any longer.
JRapps

Post by JRapps »

BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER wrote:Clear Lake

Haven't caught one myself there in 3-4 years but I was watching diving birds during December eating what I'm pretty sure was juvenile tule perch
Thanks big daddy blue ranger.
I do believe that you are correctly identifying tule perch in Clear Lake.
They are definitely known to occur there.
Those are very interesting fish for sure.

But Sac perch, the only western US native sunfish, is the primary focus of my inquiry.

Thanks to everyone who’s read and contributed to this thread thus far.
Each of your replies are greatly appreciated.
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER wrote:Clear Lake

Yes there are tule perch in clear lake , and I never knew until I saw them last week ‘ there is also Redears in Clear lake !...
WRB

Post by WRB »

There was a isolated Sacramento perch population in Little Lake, a private lake north of Mojave, Ownes Valley. Unique lake, spring or aquifer water supply, very deep center volcanic ecosystem.
Doesn’t help you for NoCal.
Tom
JRapps

Post by JRapps »

WRB wrote:There was a isolated Sacramento perch population in Little Lake, a private lake north of Mojave, Ownes Valley. Unique lake, spring or aquifer water supply, very deep center volcanic ecosystem.
Doesn’t help you for NoCal.
Tom
Thanks Tom.
I bet that is an interesting little lake.
Perhaps the isolation is to the perches’ benefit. Hopefully they may continue to exist there.