Ned Rig questions

CG

Ned Rig questions

Post by CG »

Bite is pretty good for me at my local lake fishing senkos and rip baits in relatively shallow water (+/- 10 feet). Have been playing with a ned rig - this morning was my 12th day of using this bait (Z man 1/10 shroom head, TRD's and Ned Bombs, various colors). Whacked 'em good early on senko's, so went to the ned rig to learn something new.

In 12 trips to the same lake, with a shallow bite that's pretty good (12 this morning in ~ 4 hours, maybe 12 lbs. for best 5; 3+ lb smallie for big fish), no bites on the ned. In those 12 trips, I have probably 30 hours fishing this bait, with zero bites - literally none (fishing this bait similar to the how i'm fishing the senko - fall on a semi-slack line, lift and glide, slow drag, etc...). I put it down, and start whacking em again on senkos.

I'm pretty patient, and fish slow baits regularly (jig fisherman, suuuuper comfortable with the senko on a semi slack line, shallow or deep, etc...). What am I missing? Thanks in advance for any advice, as I'm always interested in learning, but feel like I'm wasting my time with this bait.
Grant

Re: Ned Rig questions

Post by Grant »

Does your lake have crawdads? Do you fish it in/around rocks?

I have found that this bait mostly appeals to fish feeding on crawdads. I rarely get bit when I fish it around areas without rock. Color does not seem to matter much as the lighter ones will just look like a newly molted crawdad. Also, try scenting your ned rig. If the fish just pick up the bait on semi slack line without much of a strike, scent will encourage them to hang on longer giving you a chance to detect them.

If your lake has a lot of baitfish/shad the bass could be so keyed into that bite now that very few of them are feeding on the bottom.

Do you use fluoro line? Water clarity could play a part in making any bottom feeding fish wary, more so than any suspended, actively feeding fish. Had a previous experience where a friend, using the exact same bait as I was, could not get bit while I was whacking them. After a bunch of experimentation with retrieve, depth, etc. we realized that he had straight braid while I had braid with a fluoro leader. He changed and kept up, fish for fish, with me.
CG

Post by CG »

Really appreciate the response Grant.

Yep, lots o craws, and the lake is quite rocky, especially with the water down significantly (why I fish jigs a lot). I'm a line watcher from way back, and have seen no pick ups on the fall, or after initially hitting bottom. I will try some scent, which i haven't used in years to be honest. Using straight 6 lb fluoro. Water temp is 70F (yet the top water bite is non-existent right now).

There is a lot of bait right now, and I'm finding the more active ones near bait fish, which i'm catching mostly with the rip bait early early in the day (island tops or long points, offshore a bit, before sun is up). The senko fish are all near rock / tree stump combos, which are all over the lake - shade comes into play later in the morning, making a wacky rigged senko pitched to the stumps ideal. Water is relatively clear, but not gin clear, and there is some grass, but not thick at all. Fishing the same stuff with the ned that I'm catching the senko fish on. Letting it sink on the semi slack line, hits the bottom, lift and glide back to the bottom, then crawl super slow on the bottom. Senko bites have been pretty aggressive and obvious - they ain't bait shy at all!!!

Once I really get into em w/ the senko, I put it down and pick up the ned rig for an hour plus minimum - nothing (again, no bites to date). Pick the senko back up, and start catching em again. Frustrating bait to fish, as there is zero feel - seems to be dependent solely on line watching and / or an aggressive bite. I've got both of those covered in spades, so not clear what I'm doing wrong, but I'm obviously doing something incorrect. Will keep trying, until the top water bite gets going that is.

Thanks again, Appreciate the advice.
WRB

Post by WRB »

The Ned jig is very similar to the Dart head jig, swim it off the bottom slowly, it’s not the best on the bottom, unless bed fishing imo.
Tom
gixxer464

Post by gixxer464 »

Keep throwing the senko. You can't force feed the fish the bait you want. Listen to the fish. It's apparent they don't want a Ned Rig. From your description, it's doesn't seem that your fishing the Ned Rig incorrectly. The fish just don't want that bait and /or presentation. It's not you, it's the fish. There's a place and time for the Ned Rig. There are times when the Ned Rig is the only way to get a bite. I completely understand your frustration and thought process. You figured if they're eating a senko, they should eat a Ned Rig. That is not always the case. Don't beat yourself up over it.
Pat

Post by Pat »

I have had the best luck with a Ned rig just dead sticking it. I generally use the 1/6th oz head. Just cast it out and let it sit for a bit, then pick it up and drop it and let it sit again. Sometimes you will see your line move or a fish will have it when you pick it up. For me it works best with the Z-man TRD baits in green pumpkin, mudbug and PB&J. When in doubt I throw green pumpkin.
Last edited by Pat on Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
CG

Post by CG »

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback. Will keep playing with it, but am surprised / disappointed by the results to date, especially over this much time. Gixxer is right, if it ain't broke....

Trying to learn a new technique / bait on a pond I have a ton of confidence on, in case I need it elsewhere. Showing them something different at home can't hurt either. Might take a field trip to get the stink off!
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

From Alan

I’ve found the Ned rigs are better in fall amd winter. They seem to work better in cooler water. Fish em slow as the turds work best fishing slowly!

Let us know if you have more questions or anything
Alan Fong
Sacramento Fishermans Warehouse Megastore
HawgHunter49

Post by HawgHunter49 »

For some reason Large mouth bass can be very size selective at times. Some days they will only hit
a 4 inch plastic worm (especially in the hot summer months). @ other times I can only get bit on a 12" worm.
Just something I have noticed Fishing plastic worms.