Two stroke engine oil

monte300

Two stroke engine oil

Post by monte300 »

I have a 175hp 2000 Evinrude Ficht with 400 hours. I’ve noticed in the last 25 or so hours it uses quite a bit more oil than it did when it was new. I suspect the computer recognizes engine wear and compensates. Are there any mechanics or knowledgeable boaters that can tell me if this is normal? Thanks in advance.
Whoopbass

Re: Two stroke engine oil

Post by Whoopbass »

I don't think it's possible for the computer to recognize engine wear. Must be something else.
Is it running normal? Put out more smoke?
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Whoopbass wrote:I don't think it's possible for the computer to recognize engine wear. Must be something else.
Is it running normal? Put out more smoke?
It seems to run perfectly with very little smoke it just uses more oil
JL

Post by JL »

I'm thinking its your VRO pump that is causing you your issue. Do you have any visible oil leaks?
monte300

Post by monte300 »

JL wrote:I'm thinking its your VRO pump that is causing you your issue. Do you have any visible oil leaks?
Not that I know of?
JL

Post by JL »

Honestly, You would be better off to go on Bass Boat Central and post this on the Evinrude/Johnson motor forum. Lots of knowledgeable people that could help you out.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Thanks for the tip!
Rebeltex

Post by Rebeltex »

I have a 98 175 ficht, had the same issue.using alot of oil. I found alot of unused oil under the cowling. The pump diaphragm was torn causing excessive oil use and leaking. I also noticed a nice oil slick on the water not long after noticing the oil consumption was up.
Changed the vro pump and no more oil leak and less oil used. Good luck
Csuhchris

Post by Csuhchris »

Blew up a Ficht. Count your blessings it’s still running! Although the VRO pump is quite convenient, many old school enthusiasts disengage the pump and premix. At least, it’s burning rich! The opposite would be NO Bueno!
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Csuhchris wrote:Blew up a Ficht. Count your blessings it’s still running! Although the VRO pump is quite convenient, many old school enthusiasts disengage the pump and premix. At least, it’s burning rich! The opposite would be NO Bueno!
My understanding is the bigger the Ficht and earlier it's built the higher the chances it blows up, for instance 200hp and 225hp from years 1997 and 1998. Smaller motors like the 150 and 175 seem to fare much better. I'm actually pretty happy with mine and I do count my blessings, knock on wood.....
JL

Post by JL »

Please keep us updated on what you actually find out what is causing the problem. Good learning tool for others!
monte300

Post by monte300 »

JL wrote:Please keep us updated on what you actually find out what is causing the problem. Good learning tool for others!
Will do I'm hoping the problem isn't too bad and I can wait until winter to get it into Boatmasters to have it diagnosed
JL

Post by JL »

Well, from my experience with Boatmasters, You can't go wrong there! Great shop with awesome techs! :D
monte300

Post by monte300 »

JL wrote:Well, from my experience with Boatmasters, You can't go wrong there! Great shop with awesome techs! :D
Also good and honest owners. FYI, I just made an appointment to have my motor looked at October 22nd and Boatmasters is currently scheduling work in the month of October. It's a good idea to get your name on their list if you plan to get service from them.
JL

Post by JL »

Thanks for the heads up! :D