Frog Rods specific to the delta

Shecomeoff

Frog Rods specific to the delta

Post by Shecomeoff »

Alright men,

Want to know your specific favorite frog rods and setups for the California delta... I have used quite a few frog rods over the years, and have a few favorites, but am definitely open to feedback! Keep in mind, I’m shorter, only 5’10”...

I’ve always liked the old Powell Diesel 765 MH Extra Fast, it has great backbone and a soft tip to walk the frog in open water. Have been recently playing with the Dobyns Champion XP 734 and 735 in both full handle and split grip. I like both because I’m much more accurate in casting,and can walk the frog even better, just concerned if I hook a grown one in really heavy cover.

I’d love to hear any thoughts! Tight lines!!!
Jim Wilson

Re: Frog Rods specific to the delta

Post by Jim Wilson »

I have used the Dobyns Champion XP 735 and XP 764. Prefer the XP 764 as it gives me leverage when I hook them in the slop.
Jim
nate50

Post by nate50 »

I use the shimano expride 7’3 xheavy. I’m 5’11 i can’t twitch the rod pointed down or it’ll touch the water but I can point the rod at like 7 o’clock and work the frog perfectly. I like the expride cause it’s super light so I don’t get tired froggin all day. It has plenty of horse power to rip them through the junk.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

We have tons of guys using the Champion 735C for frogging and it's very versatile for many Delta techniques. But, we also have tons of guys using the Champ 736C and in my opinion it's the best frog rod ever made. If you'll look around at the tournament boats on Delta you'll see this rod many times. It's not as versatile as the 735C but it's a powerhouse frog rod. Also great pitching stick and I throw Whopper Ploppers on it as well. You're height is not an issue either and this is a big misconception with height verse rod length. The only time this is a factor is when you're working a rod straight down. I could give you a list of guys in 5'8" range that all throw the 736C on the Delta for frogs. You might have to change your posting name if you get the 736 C :) :) Good Luck Fishin!!!!
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Dobyns 735c champion is an awesome, versatile rod. The rod can also double for a chatter rod on the delta. Has a light enough tip and great backbone.
Shecomeoff

Post by Shecomeoff »

Jim Wilson wrote:I have used the Dobyns Champion XP 735 and XP 764. Prefer the XP 764 as it gives me leverage when I hook them in the slop.
Thanks Jim!
Shecomeoff

Post by Shecomeoff »

nate50 wrote:I use the shimano expride 7’3 xheavy. I’m 5’11 i can’t twitch the rod pointed down or it’ll touch the water but I can point the rod at like 7 o’clock and work the frog perfectly. I like the expride cause it’s super light so I don’t get tired froggin all day. It has plenty of horse power to rip them through the junk.
Everyone I’ve talked to loves the expride line! Been trying to get one for awhile, but they’re always out of stock, lol.

Thanks Nate!
Shecomeoff

Post by Shecomeoff »

Gary Dobyns wrote:We have tons of guys using the Champion 735C for frogging and it's very versatile for many Delta techniques. But, we also have tons of guys using the Champ 736C and in my opinion it's the best frog rod ever made. If you'll look around at the tournament boats on Delta you'll see this rod many times. It's not as versatile as the 735C but it's a powerhouse frog rod. Also great pitching stick and I throw Whopper Ploppers on it as well. You're height is not an issue either and this is a big misconception with height verse rod length. The only time this is a factor is when you're working a rod straight down. I could give you a list of guys in 5'8" range that all throw the 736C on the Delta for frogs. You might have to change your posting name if you get the 736 C :) :) Good Luck Fishin!!!!
Great input Gary, I appreciate it! Guess I’ll be picking up a 736c.
Shecomeoff

Post by Shecomeoff »

185vsfrog wrote:Dobyns 735c champion is an awesome, versatile rod. The rod can also double for a chatter rod on the delta. Has a light enough tip and great backbone.
I agree brother, cheers!
jscarbr1

Post by jscarbr1 »

7'3" XH Expride.
LookoutRanch

Post by LookoutRanch »

I hate to be a broken record but after trying several rods I’ve found the Dobyns XP 735 is the backbone of my rod locker for frogging. Although this year I added 2 FR736’s and so far they are the hit sticks that they are intended to be. I couldn’t be happier with them and plan on buying another one for my son. Don’t forget get a reel with a heavy drag and high gear ratio.
2017 Ranger Z520C
ETec 250 HO

Let’s Go Brandon