California Reservoir Levels

Wilson

California Reservoir Levels

Post by Wilson »

Can someone explain to me how the state has allowed our reservoirs to reach these levels. It was only 4 years ago that Orville had so much water in it that it became an imminent threat of the dam failing. Now today they are reporting that Oroville will not be producing hydro power vey soon. The management of our state water is a joke. Maybe one day more reservoirs will be built to store the water needed. This state continues to grow and build but I don’t think there is any thought about the water demand that puts onto these reservoirs. I feel like the fishing and outdoor industry has a voice and we should be using it to demand answers and change. Enough is enough.
jiggin4bass

Re: California Reservoir Levels

Post by jiggin4bass »

Welcome to ca.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Way to much $$$ spent on a "Bullet Train" that should have been spent on additional dams being built to keep a ton of water that gets sent out to the Ocean each year !!!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

I moved here in 1972, the population 20.5 million. As far as I know there have only been 2 water storage facilities built since then, Diamond Valley reservoir in So Cal and Los Vaqueros reservoir in Contra Costa County. (doesn't include expansion of existing reservoirs) Together they equal 970 thousand acre ft.
According to what I remember regarding past conditions, reservoirs are lowered annually in expectation of heavy snow run off (think Donner party), and multiple inches of rain (pineapple express). Again if memory serves me correctly, it was Jerry Brown in the 70's that prevented additional reservoir storage (environmental river rafters and others were chaining themselves to trees to prevent New Melones from filling/expanding) by enacting environmental laws preventing the expansion. This is part of the reason we have the fire situation.(environmental laws) California used to be known to have 4 seasons, Spring, Summer, Fire, and Rain. Things haven't changed that much , it's just the size of the megaphone. In 2021 the population of CA is about 39.5 million. That's 19 million more people sharing the same water with the original 20.5, yet they still draw down the reservoirs every year, because of water contracts that were negotiated based on futures, and so those contracts must be satisfied to avoid costly court battles. I'm sure this doesn't help much, but this is one reason why voting is so critical in my opinion.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

FastEddie,
You are exactly right!! We need to show up in numbers and VOTE!!! I’m not a anti-environmentalists or anti-farmer but it’s about time California wakes up to this problem. The population growth calls for more water storage and a better “draw down” plan. Technology has changed dramatically in the last 50 years in both farming and weather. You bet your *** I will show up and vote!!!!! I’m tired of the lies and corruption.
Kennortonjr

Post by Kennortonjr »

https://www.sfchronicle.com/science/art ... 101961.php

Would be interested to hear where some of these projects are at now.
callwakeup

Post by callwakeup »

I remember back the the winter and watching all the vids of the rain water being diverted away from, i think casitas, and seeing all the rain water being spilled over the spill way at Castaic. How hard is to store the water. im always amazed. Water -- its only the only thing we can not go a day without.
Water_Dog

Post by Water_Dog »

The California water industry is one of the biggest money makers in the state. Multi-billion dollar industry. Water doesn't flow, money isn't made. So here we are. Oroville Lake was built for agriculture so the water will always flow out of it at high rates. Same crisis we run into about every 7-8 years. Nothing new.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I hear what you are saying Water_Dog but it doesn’t mean that things can’t be changed and our voices can’t be heard. There are “simple” solutions to this problem.

“There is nothing worse than doing nothing and saying nothing when your voice is needed.” (Soledad O’Brien)
Quackaddict24

Post by Quackaddict24 »

https://www.escalontimes.com/news/high- ... september/

For the guys who fish melones, check this out... going to be pulling water all summer...
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

There dropping Eastman Lake was up the this afternoon it's down 8-10 feet and there no water in it now but there still dropping it. Fishing good but alot of hazards be careful.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

Quack Addict, in other words mis management of our resources by government.
Quackaddict24

Post by Quackaddict24 »

Turkeyman wrote:Quack Addict, in other words mis management of our resources by government.
Exactly. Now if we don't get snow or rain again this year they diminished the water supply of melones.. place will pretty much be a puddle by next summer
PeteD

Post by PeteD »

They know whats needed to fix the issue but they refuse to because of $$$$$.
Been to meetings 20+ yrs ago about more reservoirs, they refuse to acknowledge any reasonable solutions.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over again and expecting a different results."
eastbayanglers

Post by eastbayanglers »

Money corrupts

Well we can talk all we want but its gonna take action this country has shown us one thing we can talk all day nothing will be done. Its not untill we take a stand remember the whiskey tax in 1798 the people of america gathered and demanded it be taken away they were armed and went against the country! Look at the coleminers of appalatia mountains actually fought the law and state as well as hired guns for the coal company. Over 2000 men fought the state its actually where the term redneck was first used to identify you were a miner. Look at the state income tax after the civil war ended the people gathered and demanded it be taken away! look at our history look at the facts the people of america are divided to weaked us! Together America united there are no limits but divided we will all lose
Point being is our ancestors would take a stand and say enough is enough the right to protect your water and resources the sad part is where i live the wells are drying up and i am high up elev so its bad silos popping up everywhere ppl around me 20,000 gallon silos its sooo sad we are headed into the worst chapter of California! Watch as prices drop on property the bay area for example is primed for an earthquake and a large portion of it could be underwater in the next 50 yrs
MasterBassinator

Post by MasterBassinator »

In case you haven't noticed, it hasn't rained much. San Jose has seen 5.33 inches of rain this season. A normal year is 13.48 inches. Ukiah has seen 13.56 inches. A normal year is 34.84 inches. Sacramento 6.58 inches. A normal year is 18.14 inches.
Brassmaster

Post by Brassmaster »

I agree: "Show up and vote." I understand that many people feel like it doesn't matter, but it does. If we all show up and vote the incompetent clowns out of office, it does make a different.
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I noticed that nobody is looking at the data that multiple satellites have verified...The whole pacific rim from India to South America is Hurting for water and what has been done to the aquifers is staggering. It takes like 50,000years for water to get where they are pumping some of it from. My point is... While I understand that we have to lower water to avoid a deluge scenario . Wouldn't you use the facts that our scanning technologies can show the surface temps in the oceans that will have Calif. in a la Nina for 2 more years to help stay your hand and hedge that free snow.

Interesting facts:
I have read when Casitas was built it just sat there. It wasn't much of a lake so there were plans to have a battleship use it's deSal and pump the water in. Believe it or not Cachuma is hooked to the States water system via pipeline and has been for years. They take an infinitesimal amount. Cachuma just has way to many golf courses downstream. And Lopez Lake is known as the instant lake as apparently just as it was completed enough water came out of the sky to have completely washed away Arroyo Grande and Pismo Beach. They figured the cost of the dam was about equal to what the costs of the damage would have been.

We should be able to put a pipe into the Mississippi and put old man river to work for the USA. As it is now they have put all the water upstream on ball bearings as it were....Think of how many parking lots are all over our country and runs quickly to find it's level...Now days the thing is practically always at flood stage at the terminus of New Orleans. But hey! The world going to be over in 8 years according to some of our Governments yammering as of late... :wink:

Rip

I hope our current Governor crashes and burns in a spectacular way....Soon
Vote the Scoundrels out!
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
SpookFreak

Post by SpookFreak »

Time for a new governor.
I hope Larry Elder steps up that's a start.
Have to some how break our legislature. it's pretty much a Democrat stronghold and their model for the rest of the country. I to wish we could all come together but the parties and the news are doing there best to divide us so we are not united.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

“ In mid-March 2019, California was declared drought-free except for a small pocket of "abnormally dry" conditions in Southern California. This declaration followed a series of powerful Pacific storms during the first few months of the year, which coincided with the U.S. experiencing drought conditions in the fewest parts of the country since 2000.[7]”

Really???? 2 years later we are back to a severe drought condition. Where the hell did all the water go? Just more proof that California is ran by a bunch of money/power hungry jack-asses. Let’s make sure we are heard. The Re-Call is a good start. Show up and vote. It’s time for things to change.
gixxer464

Post by gixxer464 »

Wilson wrote:“ In mid-March 2019, California was declared drought-free except for a small pocket of "abnormally dry" conditions in Southern California. This declaration followed a series of powerful Pacific storms during the first few months of the year, which coincided with the U.S. experiencing drought conditions in the fewest parts of the country since 2000.[7]”

Really???? 2 years later we are back to a severe drought condition. Where the hell did all the water go? Just more proof that California is ran by a bunch of money/power hungry jack-asses. Let’s make sure we are heard. The Re-Call is a good start. Show up and vote. It’s time for things to change.
My thoughts exactly. Record rain and snow pack just 2 years ago. So much water the Orville Dam failed. What happened to all the water?? Is this a man-made "drought"? And please don't tell me "it's the farmers" who took all the water. That is such nonsense and BS cause I've driven through the central valley and there is plenty of dried up farm land.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

This made me laugh from the above article shared from KTVU. Absolute stupidity and
mismanagement.

“The timing is not great as California remains in a drought but water officials say this is a vital project for flood protection that will protect the public for years to come.”

So what they’re really saying is........we need to be able to ship more water South.

“The project is expected to take three years: Crews will build a larger outlet tunnel next to the dam which will allow the release of more water during a storm or other emergency.” :lol: :lol:
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

This came from the website Motherjones.com back in 2014. I don’t think much has changed since this was written. Dirty dirty politics and dirty dirty money! I will be doing my part. They won’t get a dime of my money.

“Stewart & Lynda Resnick: The Beverly Hills billionaires own a chunk of farmland in Southern California that’s larger than four San Franciscos. It includes Paramount Farming Company, the world’s largest pistachio and almond growing and processing operation, and Paramount Citrus, the country’s leading producer of fresh citrus. The couple also owns Fiji Water, Pom Wonderful, and Teleflora, the nation’s largest flower delivery business. In the 1990s the Resnicks gained control of what was originally meant to be a state-owned water storage bank; it now sells water back to the state at a premium. Since 1993, they’ve donated nearly $5 million to state and federal campaigns and candidates—typically to whomever is in power. They threw a party at their Beverly Hills mansion for Feinstein and entertained her at their second home in Aspen, Colorado. In 2009, Feinstein sent a letter two Obama cabinet secretaries on the Resnicks’ behalf that helped convince the feds to delay a plan to curtail delta water diversions for the sake of endangered fish. Feinstein’s new Senate water bill would allow delta water to reach California’s Kern County, where it would be available to the Resnicks’ water bank.”
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Give it up guys nothing is going to change. Not even the recall on newsome going to change one dam thing. There to move water up and down this state for the next 100 years. Democrats won't build dam. But they will finish high speed rail. Money moves water it always has and always will. Don't blame farmers blame the Democrats they control water right in this state. You guys just need to get over it. Again it's not going to change anytime soon.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
SpookFreak

Post by SpookFreak »

Follow the money. This country continues to be sold out by our own people to the highest bidders.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion ... 659993001/