Lake Shasta conditions

mrheuby

Lake Shasta conditions

Post by mrheuby »

Thinking about heading up to Shasta Has anybody been up there lately and what are the lake conditions are all the ramps open. Also looking for a place to stay that is boat friendly Any info would be greatly appreciated
fishbonz412

Re: Lake Shasta conditions

Post by fishbonz412 »

I was up there last weekend. Surface temperatures were around 90! yes 90! (not a typo) Water levels are low. Bite was tough. Some fish came up for topwater but the other fish were caught on drop shot deeper, like 20-30', dragging.

You can do search on Shasta launch ramps, there is a site that tells you what public launch ramps are open based on water level. I believe shastalake.com. I think those open are Centimudi, Jones Valley, then the one north by Lakehead. As to the concessionnaire ramps, like Bridge Bay, you should call them. But Bridge Bay launch ramp was open last weekend.

Places to stay: Fawndale lodge is great, and one exit south of Bridge bay. Otherwise Shasta Dam Lodge or Motel 6 are dive motels with ability to recharge batteries....

Good luck.
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
mrheuby

Post by mrheuby »

Thank you for all the info much appreciated
BAble

Post by BAble »

If they have room available stay at bridge bay. Clean rooms, power for boat recharge and decent restaurant on site.
Water_Dog

Post by Water_Dog »

Just drove around pretty much the whole lake yesterday. Sugarloaf ramp in Lakehead and Bridge Bay are you best bets. Jones Valley is still open I believe, but its a long ways out, and mucky. Centimudi is open still, but you have to side hill to the dirt point to launch. Everywhere else is out of the water and closed.
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

Launched at Sugarloaf this AM. Two lane ramp OK (old highway 99), parking is a disaster, dock is useless.

While my annual Shasta Launch Permit is good there, (good at all public ramps) I can't believe Shasta Rec is charging $20 to launch/park here.
rico

Post by rico »

Bring an N95 mask with you. The Salt fire, in Lakehead is still burning and depending on wind direction, you could end up breathing smoke all day
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

Been on the lake every day for the last two weeks. Some serious smoke last week, but since Friday it has been clear.
mrheuby

Post by mrheuby »

Thanks for the update. How has the fishing been?