is a 19ft boat fine for the bigger pro am's?

sharkbass12

is a 19ft boat fine for the bigger pro am's?

Post by sharkbass12 »

Getting ready to upgrade my boat and I am going to start entering bigger tournaments like Wild West Bass, WON Bass ,and MLF. I've ran a 481vs in the federation for along time now and its treated me well. I feel like a 520 would be a waste of money for me. I always take out the tackle I'm not using and don't need the extra storage. My question is would I be at a major disadvantage running a 519, or should I go ahead and get a 520 because that's what most of the competitors run? Money isn't a issue, I just hate spending more than I should be.
mark poulson

Re: is a 19ft boat fine for the bigger pro am's?

Post by mark poulson »

The larger/longer/heavier boat will handle rough water better.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
DanC

Post by DanC »

Definitely no real disadvantages. I had a 520 dvx 2003 and absolutely loved it. I gave it up and got another boat but miss that one alot. You'll be amazed at how much that foot and a half makes so much difference! Good luck with your decision! And I agree 100% with the rougher bigger water comment above...just my opinion.
Baseball

Post by Baseball »

I run a 518 DVX. Works just fine. Yes it’s a little rough in big water. But if you can drive it’s not bad.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

If money and space aren't a problem then I'd go to the 520. The added deck space, better ride in rough water are well worth it. You'd do alright in a 519, but you'll do it more comfortably in the 520. I've had a 519, 520, and now a 205. Wish I still had my 520 !!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Barry

Post by Barry »

You will never regret the 520.
And just my .02 get a dual console. Your coanglers will love you :D
sharkbass12

Post by sharkbass12 »

Mitch wrote:If money and space aren't a problem then I'd go to the 520. The added deck space, better ride in rough water are well worth it. You'd do alright in a 519, but you'll do it more comfortably in the 520. I've had a 519, 520, and now a 205. Wish I still had my 520 !!
Thinking I might just bite the bullet and get the 520.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

It not the size of the boat or how fast the boat is. Its how fish you bring to weigh-in that counts.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Baseball

Post by Baseball »

Yes 520 suck as a non boater. Whiteout the dual console. But who cares if your the driver. I always wear my rain gear if there’s a chance of wind.
Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

Shark, I have a brand new 520c w/ a merc 250 pro XS. It's 3 weeks old now. Came with 8' power poles, ghost motor and lowrance 9 & 12 HDS. I ordered a port console (for the wife) and have to wait up to 10 months. After running a 488VS with a yammie for 20 years, the ride on this boat is wonderful. (just ask my wife) According to my salesperson is the hull is the original 520 hull. I can take the wakeboats waves like a Cadillac on an off road course. Very smooth. You should consider that the wind and wave action on Clear lake,Franks, Mead especially in the spring effects your fishing time. As a co angler for years, a second/port console makes a big difference in comfort for my partners especially in Jan and Feb when it rains. (oh yeah, it'll rain again). The final thought is don't be like Joe. Just because "all the top guys have etc" get what your comfortable with. Good Luck on your decision
TL
FE
You made me laugh about your tackle comment. You start pro ams and your tackle will grow exponentially. :lol:
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

to answer your headline, yes. You already run a 481 so you know how it's treated you. do you find yourself wanting bigger? Sounds like you've already made up your mind that it's a waste... it's a matter of personal preference and your fishing style. for big open water and main lake stuff, the 520 is awesome. For fishing super shallow, tight to cover, and around docks (my prefered style) the 519 wins. In reality, when it gets really nasty our there you can never have a big enough boat. I remember riding in a Champ 210 getting soaked and spearing a monster wave on Clear during a pro am.... and there's probably no better rough water bass rig than that. For me, when it's mild to moderate weather I'd take a smaller boat every time but when making long runs in rough water....you get the point. It's all a trade off. Most people would probably say the 520 is a great all around compromise size. One of my team partners has one and it's amazing in big open water, but just a little too big for me when getting tight to cover and around docks. My other team partner has a 19.5 footer and for my style it's the perfect compromise size

My next boat will be a little larger than the 462 I've run for 20+ years but I'm not convinced the 520 is for me
Smokie

Post by Smokie »

I plan on running my boat doing pro ams next year and I run a 19ft single console older basscat, I never put no thought into being a co without a sencond console and how much that could suck in the weather or in general not having a extra stash yer stuff spot down there, all the boats I got as a co so far were two consoles and I see why if I bought a newer boat why I could want a dual console, I see the dealio there this post opened my eyes to a blind spot. I love the extra space fishing solo on my basscat, I call it driver side and net side, but yeah that might suck to be a co. I guess it depends on what fish the boat puts you on as a co, that might make up for a shitty weather ride. My 19ft basscat does great on clearlake though in the big chop, I can drive pretty good too but my basscat is sweet and handles the big stuff really well, it was well built for one man fishing anyway. I haven't gotten that far yet, chasing the dream from co to pro though none the less and sorry if you draw me on a rainy day. see you out there man
WRB

Post by WRB »

Trade offs, 19’ is easier to maneuver using the TM and long enough for good tackle storage, rides good in every in California bass lake. 21’ with a jack plate isn’t easy to maneuver with the TM and alloys dual console with lots of storage. Lake Mead the ‘21 is a good choice. Dual axis trailer in also more difficult to move around.
If the op has the funds, the space and fishes Mead go with the 21’
Tom
Last edited by WRB on Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Another thing a person can do is choose a "long" 19 footer, for example a 19' Caymas is actually 19' 9"
DaLa

Post by DaLa »

or a BassCat Caracal 19' - 8"
cww300

Post by cww300 »

My buddy is running a bass cat caracal, and says it rides better/dryer than his old 20 footer in rough water. Plenty of storage and he is getting low 70s out of it. You should check that model out.
sharkbass12

Post by sharkbass12 »

cww300 wrote:My buddy is running a bass cat caracal, and says it rides better/dryer than his old 20 footer in rough water. Plenty of storage and he is getting low 70s out of it. You should check that model out.
I'm taking a hard look at the Caracal.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

sharkbass12 wrote:
cww300 wrote:My buddy is running a bass cat caracal, and says it rides better/dryer than his old 20 footer in rough water. Plenty of storage and he is getting low 70s out of it. You should check that model out.
I'm taking a hard look at the Caracal.
Some BassCat's are what I call deep hull and others are more shallow hull. I consider my 2000 Triton TR19 a shallow hull boat. Is the Caracal more of a deep hull? The reason I ask is because some of the Basscat's I've seen have a fairly steep step up to the front deck.
DaLa

Post by DaLa »

Caracal is a deep v hull.

I don't have any issues. sometimes i step on the center consol and then up to the front deck. has a cooler step up to the deck too. I have ridden in plenty of 20 footers and my caracal rides as good or better than anything I have ridden in.

my knees are not great, but I do fine in it. I wish I would have bought the trailer steps and pole to climb in over the bow though.

Dave
Water_Dog

Post by Water_Dog »

I was looking at the caracal until the price jumped $10k from the 2021-2022 models. Ordered a Phoenix 919 instead.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Water_Dog wrote:I was looking at the caracal until the price jumped $10k from the 2021-2022 models. Ordered a Phoenix 919 instead.
I’m not looking but if I were I would consider a Caymas. I think the price point is pretty good and I’m happy with my old Earl Bentz built Triton.
Popper

Post by Popper »

sharkbass12 wrote:Getting ready to upgrade my boat and I am going to start entering bigger tournaments like Wild West Bass, WON Bass ,and MLF. I've ran a 481vs in the federation for along time now and its treated me well. I feel like a 520 would be a waste of money for me. I always take out the tackle I'm not using and don't need the extra storage. My question is would I be at a major disadvantage running a 519, or should I go ahead and get a 520 because that's what most of the competitors run? Money isn't a issue, I just hate spending more than I should be.
The disadvantage you'll run into with a smaller boat is speed and comfort in rough water during a tournament (In any format).
When I ran a 17' Ranger during Pro events back in the days my disadvantage was optimizing time during those longer runs From -To the ramp for weigh-in. In one event, it potential cost me the win since I left the area earlier to weather the rough water in a smaller rig. In another, I barely made it back with less than 10 seconds to spare but took 5th on the Delta.

My 519VX Ranger was an excellent rig and provided sufficient speed and comfort. But the exceptional days of turbulent conditions made running To and From the ramp uncomfortable.

Today, I run a Z520C Ranger, and she covers everything in speed, comfort and deck space to fish any tournament event.
With 36v trolling motors, maneuverability and response time to control your boat isn't an issue with these bigger boats.
-IMHO

You can win any tournament in a "John Boat" as it's not the rig that catches fish, however, a bigger boat will give you the opportunity to run long distances in comfort and with sufficient speed to get To/From during competition.

-Good Luck
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

Being in the same position as you (looking at competing in Pro-Ams within the next couple years), I would absolutely push to get the biggest boat you can afford. These aren’t Federation tourneys on Tulloch or Pedro, you’ll be fishing CL, Delta, Mead, Columbia River, all can get 4+ on windy days. When it’s blowing 20+ And you’re blasting off out of Big Break or your bite is at Redbud and your launching out of Konocti, you’ll wish you spent the extra money for a safe boat. Having spent time riding all sorts of boats as a co, I would never consider anything under a 250hp for that level of competition.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I love my 19' boat, but I'm not a tournament angler. There's no substitute for a 21' boat, especially on big water
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

With the water disappearing before our eyes and lack of places to launch larger vessels increasing, you may want to look at getting a kayak and fish the trails that offer kayak versions...

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
sharkbass12

Post by sharkbass12 »

gabuelhaj wrote:With the water disappearing before our eyes and lack of places to launch larger vessels increasing, you may want to look at getting a kayak and fish the trails that offer kayak versions...

Good luck!
The five year drought was much worse. Watch it rain its *** off this winter. I'm pretty much decided on the Caracal. Saw one at the Holland tract ramp and was very impressed.
Smokie

Post by Smokie »

I've had quite a few different boats over my life and I think you really can't go wrong with a basscat, i ride an older 19ft pantera and I hit clear lake often with it and always am impressed with its ride... I had a bigger nitro and triton that didnt ride anywhere near as good as my cat, needless to say i'm feeling the rush with my ol cat, mines gotta history of winning and im just the next stick on the fire for it i hope, i was able to get a trophy with it once this year... if I do it right, I'll win a newer one when it's my day, but boy I love my basscat and I think a caracal is a fine choice, I get to drive my buds cougar alot and boy its fast :shock: on top of how great it rides... One thing this post made me think about though is making my passenger side a lil better for a co, adding at least a rod holder for a six pack over there... I think a 19ft boat is pleanty suitable to fish pro ams though, if its got two livewells even better, and like the guys all said there will be events when it will be an advantage as well as there will be events where the bigger is better, but I have a new respect for the shotty side console after deeper thought and you guys... Good luck with the new boat I'm hoping to kick bass with an old one :lol:
cww300

Post by cww300 »

sharkbass12 wrote:
gabuelhaj wrote:With the water disappearing before our eyes and lack of places to launch larger vessels increasing, you may want to look at getting a kayak and fish the trails that offer kayak versions...

Good luck!
The five year drought was much worse. Watch it rain its *** off this winter. I'm pretty much decided on the Caracal. Saw one at the Holland tract ramp and was very impressed.
Caracal runs big water just fine compared to the other 20 footers. Maybe even better and you'll get low 70s out of it with the gas tanks in the back. It will do just fine in the pro ams out west. JP DeRose ran one in the great lakes for years and fished major tournaments out of it. Caracal looks and feels like a 20 footer. A friend of mine sold his 520 and bought a Caracal. He claims it rides better and dryer in rough water than his 520 and he fishes most of the pro ams with it. It will suit you just fine. Great pick on the Caracal.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Bass Cat Pantera Classic 19’6”, is ideal tournament boat and handles lake Mead.
Tom
Last edited by WRB on Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
SononaBassin

Post by SononaBassin »

I would say a 19' boat is almost ideal for all California tournaments. The 20' just allows for a little more control and room for people who want an increase in comfort. I decided to go with Ranger because I felt as if they had the best contingency program out west. I love my 520C and have no complaints yet. I do feel like the quality has gone down in them since White River took over, but customer service has gotten better. It's all a trade off. I think whether its a Ranger, Phoenix, or Basscat you will be very happy. Hope this helped.
TravisH

Post by TravisH »

I’m happy Fishin out of my Phoenix 919 pro Xp with single console..
Pepsi man

Post by Pepsi man »

I also fish the Federation and will dabble in pro am and team events. I started off with an older Z19, then to a 20 foot skeeter, then the controversial ranger rt178 and now a phoenix 721 pro xp. First off, storage for your boat should be considered. Now the most versatile would be the 520. Its only a foot longer but you'll get more stability with wider beams and bigger decks. It'll also allow you to run faster and be more comfortable in rougher water. Not sure what hp you have now but you'll be able to run a 250 with the 520. As mentioned, don't let yourself get into thinking what is commonly seen on the water is what you need to have. Address the issues that are stopping you from becoming more successful and if its a bigger boat, so be it. I would ask Archie to take you out on his 519 and Justin on his 520 and you can decide if the cost is justifiable..but for me..love my 721. Loose a little speed, but the ride is amazing..and let's not forget that the cost is much much less than a ranger of its caliber..cheers
Popper

Post by Popper »

Pepsi man wrote:I also fish the Federation and will dabble in pro am and team events. I started off with an older Z19, then to a 20 foot skeeter, then the controversial ranger rt178 and now a phoenix 721 pro xp. First off, storage for your boat should be considered. Now the most versatile would be the 520. Its only a foot longer but you'll get more stability with wider beams and bigger decks. It'll also allow you to run faster and be more comfortable in rougher water. Not sure what hp you have now but you'll be able to run a 250 with the 520. As mentioned, don't let yourself get into thinking what is commonly seen on the water is what you need to have. Address the issues that are stopping you from becoming more successful and if its a bigger boat, so be it. I would ask Archie to take you out on his 519 and Justin on his 520 and you can decide if the cost is justifiable..but for me..love my 721. Loose a little speed, but the ride is amazing..and let's not forget that the cost is much much less than a ranger of its caliber..cheers
Correction:
There's a 21" difference between a 519 verses 520 (pre "C" and "L" series), and substantial difference in hull depths/hull weight.
"C" specs for both models are slightly bigger in length and width.

-I've owned both great model boats.
Without the "C" or "L" designations.
519 is 19"
520: 20'9"