Unsecured Property Tax - State Double Dipping

Moderators: MKA, Caudawg

AnglersPursuit
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:26 am

Unsecured Property Tax - State Double Dipping

Postby AnglersPursuit » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:26 am

FYI.

Received my UPT for 7/21'-7/22'. Called and told them I no longer have the boat and should I just send them proof of that. Lady says "If you were the owner on 1/21' you owe the full amount".

I said wait a minute. I paid 8/20' to cover (per their bill) through 7/21'. Meaning I've already paid for 1/21'-7/21'. "Sir, it says on the bill if you're the owner on 1/21' you owe the full amount". I then asked, if this new bill covers from 7/21'-7/22' are you not billing me for 10 months I will not have the boat? "Sir, if you're going to be argumentative, I'm hanging up".

So they steal your money through this tax in the first place, double dip and then don't even need to defend this?

What other taxes or purchases are entities allowed to double dip like this and charge you for something you no longer have?

United we stand, divided crap like this happens.

Fast Eddie
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:48 pm

Re: Unsecured Property Tax - State Double Dipping

Postby Fast Eddie » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:33 am

Contact your State representative. If that doesn't work contact your local news outlet so they can get the word out. You'd be surprised how a TV appearance affects outcomes.
Good Luck.
FE

ILW
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:32 pm

Re: Unsecured Property Tax - State Double Dipping

Postby ILW » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:56 am

In my county, it has always been only what you owned on January 1 and had nothing to do with paying taxes for a specific year or timeframe.

If you bought boat feb and sold in Dec, you avoided the unsecured property tax altogether. BUT if you bought new one Dec 31 then sold old one on Jan 3, then you owned two boats on Jan 1, so you paid two tax bills. One bill on each boat.

This is my county's website explanation in their FAQ.
Who is responsible for paying the unsecured taxes for a business/boat/plane that I just purchased?
The person or entity who had possession of the equipment, watercraft, airplane, etc. on January 1 of the tax year is responsible for the payment.

Popper
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:00 pm
Location: Fremont
Contact:

Re: Unsecured Property Tax - State Double Dipping

Postby Popper » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:33 pm

AnglersPursuit wrote:FYI.

Received my UPT for 7/21'-7/22'. Called and told them I no longer have the boat and should I just send them proof of that. Lady says "If you were the owner on 1/21' you owe the full amount".

I said wait a minute. I paid 8/20' to cover (per their bill) through 7/21'. Meaning I've already paid for 1/21'-7/21'. "Sir, it says on the bill if you're the owner on 1/21' you owe the full amount". I then asked, if this new bill covers from 7/21'-7/22' are you not billing me for 10 months I will not have the boat? "Sir, if you're going to be argumentative, I'm hanging up".

So they steal your money through this tax in the first place, double dip and then don't even need to defend this?

What other taxes or purchases are entities allowed to double dip like this and charge you for something you no longer have?

United we stand, divided crap like this happens.


FYI
California been doubling dipping in taxes and property taxes for years..............
-Nothing new

coyote268
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:15 am

Re: Unsecured Property Tax - State Double Dipping

Postby coyote268 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:57 pm

Welcome to California, land of the free if u don't work, everyone else pays

AnglersPursuit
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:26 am

Re: Unsecured Property Tax - State Double Dipping

Postby AnglersPursuit » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:12 pm

ILW wrote:In my county, it has always been only what you owned on January 1 and had nothing to do with paying taxes for a specific year or timeframe.

If you bought boat feb and sold in Dec, you avoided the unsecured property tax altogether. BUT if you bought new one Dec 31 then sold old one on Jan 3, then you owned two boats on Jan 1, so you paid two tax bills. One bill on each boat.

This is my county's website explanation in their FAQ.
Who is responsible for paying the unsecured taxes for a business/boat/plane that I just purchased?
The person or entity who had possession of the equipment, watercraft, airplane, etc. on January 1 of the tax year is responsible for the payment.


I understand thieves have and make policies.

gabuelhaj
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Manteca

Re: Unsecured Property Tax - State Double Dipping

Postby gabuelhaj » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:10 pm

Keep it on the down-low. Boats are investments these days and aren't subject to any capital gains tax, yet....

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj

Dave Brabec
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:58 am

Re: Unsecured Property Tax - State Double Dipping

Postby Dave Brabec » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:56 am

Always been that way
Whomever owns the boat in Jan pays it for that year.

mark poulson
Posts: 10026
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 4:16 am
Location: Antioch, CA

Re: Unsecured Property Tax - State Double Dipping

Postby mark poulson » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:33 am

Dave Brabec wrote:Always been that way
Whomever owns the boat in Jan pays it for that year.

A question. If someone buys my boat after Jan1., are they charged the full property tax, too?
If so, should I just include the property tax cost in the sale price, since I won't have the use of the boat for that year?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY

User avatar
Pat
Posts: 549
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 7:04 am
Location: Olivehurst, CA

Re: Unsecured Property Tax - State Double Dipping

Postby Pat » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:42 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Dave Brabec wrote:Always been that way
Whomever owns the boat in Jan pays it for that year.

A question. If someone buys my boat after Jan1., are they charged the full property tax, too?
If so, should I just include the property tax cost in the sale price, since I won't have the use of the boat for that year?


I bought a new boat in Oct 2020. I paid sales tax but did not have to pay the property tax until 2021. I sold my previous boat in August 2020. The property tax was already paid for the year. The new owner had to pay sales tax when he registered it, but did not have to pay property tax until the following year.

Lawley
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 9:35 am

Re: Unsecured Property Tax - State Double Dipping

Postby Lawley » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:36 am

Look no further than the folks running the state
If you must look deeper blame the mentality Sick who vote for the biggest idiots they can find

Dave Brabec
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:58 am

Re: Unsecured Property Tax - State Double Dipping

Postby Dave Brabec » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:43 am

Lawley wrote:Look no further than the folks running the state
If you must look deeper blame the mentality Sick who vote for the biggest idiots they can find

That doesn’t make any sense. There has been 3 Republicans and 3 Democrat Governor’s in Ca in the last 30+ years. No one has fixed anything to do with taxes

Popper
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:00 pm
Location: Fremont
Contact:

Re: Unsecured Property Tax - State Double Dipping

Postby Popper » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:25 pm

Dave Brabec wrote:
Lawley wrote:Look no further than the folks running the state
If you must look deeper blame the mentality Sick who vote for the biggest idiots they can find

That doesn’t make any sense. There has been 3 Republicans and 3 Democrat Governor’s in Ca in the last 30+ years. No one has fixed anything to do with taxes


-We live in a Democracy.
Not a dictatorship
Republican Governors are limited in scope to enact policies to avert over regulations and taxes.

Democrat State Senators/Legislators controlled the State of California for decades, and are directly responsible for the loss of thousands of business exiting as a result of regulations, taxes, people, obscene taxes in every facet, illegal immigration and authorization to circumvent Federal immigration laws, misappropriate taxpayer funds to maintain roads, fuel taxes, carbon taxes, State General fund, releasing thousands of prisoners, etc...............................

Democrats own this State and it's time to assume responsibility for failed policies.
Last edited by Popper on Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gabuelhaj
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Manteca

Re: Unsecured Property Tax - State Double Dipping

Postby gabuelhaj » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:44 pm

Popper wrote:
Dave Brabec wrote:
Lawley wrote:Look no further than the folks running the state
If you must look deeper blame the mentality Sick who vote for the biggest idiots they can find

That doesn’t make any sense. There has been 3 Republicans and 3 Democrat Governor’s in Ca in the last 30+ years. No one has fixed anything to do with taxes


-We live a Democracy
Not a dictatorship
Republican Governors are limited in scope to enact policies to avert over regulations and taxes.

Democrat State Senators/Legislators controlled the State of California for decades, and are directly responsible for the loss of thousands of business exiting as a result of regulations, taxes, people, obscene taxes in every facet, illegal immigration and authorization to circumvent Federal immigration laws, misappropriate taxpayer funds to maintain roads, fuel taxes, carbon taxes, State General fund, releasing thousands of prisoners, etc...............................

Democrats own this State and it's time to assume responsibility for failed policies.


You left one out of your list:

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... y-sections

Meanwhile the State is on fire and burning down to the ground..... Glad to see they have time and energy for more important matters....

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj

Dave Wilson
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 1:44 pm

Re: Unsecured Property Tax - State Double Dipping

Postby Dave Wilson » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:50 am

Well, property taxes are a county tax- the policies do vary from place to place.


Return to “Fishing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alvyman5192 and 53 guests