HUD rigging for spots

Rchtand

HUD rigging for spots

Post by Rchtand »

Looking to rig the new top hook Huddlestons for spotted bass on Shasta and oroville. Should I cut the the top hook off and run 2 separate wires from the eye for both a main treble and a stinger?
THE DR

Re: HUD rigging for spots

Post by THE DR »

I keep the jig hook and run a small treble on a stinger tied to the jig hook. I like running OWNER ST56 #2 hooks.

Also Owner make pre-tied stinger rigs, I just swap the hook for a ST56. I use the shorted size stinger harness, the longer version places the hook too far back.

https://www.ownerhooks.com/product/stinger-harness-rig/
RMANZO

Post by RMANZO »

For big spots, cut the jig hook off. Put a treble on top of the head. Spots eat the trout head first mostly. A lot of times they will whack it hard in the side to stun them, and then come back and take a head shot. I actualways cut all jig hooks of and put the treble on the head even for largemouth. The hook on the head, once you get use to the feel, comes over brush and structure well. Damn near weedless. Just takes patience to get the feel down. The best tip for swimbait though,,,, “just throw it” :):):)
“BOOK IT”
offthehookbassadventures.com
Facebook OFF THE HOOK BASS ADVENTURES
Instagram Robert Mansor
Rchtand

Post by Rchtand »

Do you run a second wire from the front eye then for a trailer hook?
DannyMiller

Post by DannyMiller »

Rchtand wrote:Looking to rig the new top hook Huddlestons for spotted bass on Shasta and oroville. Should I cut the the top hook off and run 2 separate wires from the eye for both a main treble and a stinger?
Lot's of ways for sure. I use a treble with about a foot of 65lb braid. Wrap it around the shank after tying and slide a rubber jig collar over the wraps and leave the top hook. I'll post a Tallon but I've caught some on the hud this way also. I want that hud as far away after the bite as I can get it. I like tying to the eye so the barb cut doesn't cut my line.
Attachments
Swim Bait Treble 003.jpg
Swimbaitstud

Post by Swimbaitstud »

Running two hooks is far unnecessary. A 3lber will fold the 8” right in half. I’ve caught <2lb smallies on 8” hudds. Just run a treble on top as close to the head as you can. They’ll either eat it head first, or inhale the whole thing. If fish aren’t getting it good, they aren’t the ones you want anyway.
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

Google Butch Brown Rig, spotted bass eat the bait head first so I run 1 treble up front. All stinger hooks do is catch trees and 1lbers!
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
Smokie

Post by Smokie »

On the smaller 6-8 inchers i like a back stinger for the ones who try the pin it down move, but most good ones will inhale the whole deal and the jig hook does a great job, putting a front stinger somwtimes makes the bait flop into your fish and can cause fails... however i butch brown all my bigger 8 plus baits and i run a front stinger on top with no jig hook with a rear stinger on top like my pic for the sideways smashers...
20211112_134050.jpg