Flying with lures, hooks, etc in carry on?

Scott L

Flying with lures, hooks, etc in carry on?

Post by Scott L »

For those experienced in flying with the aforementioned, can lures with hooks and hooks in general be packed in one's carry on bag?

Would much rather not have to check a bag.

Will be flying to Puerto Rico in January and found out they have peacock bass, LM bass and other freshwater fish along with tarpon, snook and others in the bays.

Thanks in advance.
Jboutfishn

Re: Flying with lures, hooks, etc in carry on?

Post by Jboutfishn »

Carried a bunch of Shaky Heads and 2 0 wide gap Owners in my carry on from ATL to SMF without issue.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I've flown to Mexico and had no trouble taking my tackle bag with hooks and reels in when I left Fresno. HOWEVER, when I went to check-in in Mexico for the return flight, they FREAKED OUT !! It seems you can't have anything SHARP or any LINE in your carry on !!! SO, all the trips from then on I put all my hard baits, Reels, hooks, pliers, clippers, scissors, etc all when into my checked luggage and all my plastics went into my carry on. I've also heard that now the US terminals are like that too even for Inter-Continental flights. It's a real hassle to have to re-pack and check in again, so I wouldn't take the chance. Besides, the plastics are heavier so you can pack more other "STUFF" in your checked baggage and carry the plastics in your carry on !1
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

If your staying at a hotel you can also make arrangements with the front desk to have a package held for your at the front desk until you check in. I would do this for your baits and hooks and then take your reels as a carry on. What are you going to do for your rods though?

I've never been to PR but this has worked for me going to HA.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Pat

Post by Pat »

I just flew to Mexico and back. No Problem with tackle in carry on going down. But I knew the Mexican TSA will not allow any hooks or line doming back. Since Puerto Rico is US territory I would think they would use US TSA rules. Best to check with TSA website to be sure.
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

Thanks guys! Hadn't thought of line on a reel being an issue or in a package for that matter.

I've considered removing trebles on hard baits and hope I can find some there.

I have some 4 piece rods designed to fit in a carry on.