Big Storm Coming, What will fish do?

Pat

Big Storm Coming, What will fish do?

Post by Pat »

WWFD right?

I am thinking mostly about after the storm in the reservoirs where the water water is likely to come up significantly and likely get a lot of color, if not get muddy. No doubt they will have a little shock for a coupe days. Will the fish move shallow with the rising water? Or stay out deeper? Will the cold send the bait into the creeks and bays? After our first major storm more than a month ago there was a great reaction bite, will that happen again with this much colder storm?

What are your thoughts and experience?
DanC

Re: Big Storm Coming, What will fish do?

Post by DanC »

My experience is they will do everything opposite of what I've been taught by the experts... LOL. I am hoping these storms bring the water levels up so these fish might move shallow as they push the bait to the back of the creeks. Down here in the central valley I don't even know if the lakes have turned over yet. Usually this time of year I can find a shallow ish crank or rip bite or even a top water fish or 2 towards the back of the creeks. The last time I was out on the water I was still marking and catching them in 35+ of water. Good luck Pat! DanC
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

For me down here on SoCal reservoirs I go to areas that are not vertical in nature but have only a slight incline. More or less the flats. The farther inland a foot of water goes as opposed to shear. This is just me but I decided back in the 80's that there are just some fish that are always shallow and some that live deep and only come to the banks when it's time to do the dance and back they go. I've caught them on jigs in foot and 50 feet of water while it was snowing in January at Cachuma. Here at Casitas it's the same. I put a 7 pound spoon fish in the boat from 50 plus feet and caught it's twin in 3 feet of water on the adjacent point on a senko when I put down the spoon in the rain. My best fish for the year the last 3 years in a row were on rainy full moons in Feb.. .My feeling on these reservoirs is these fish did not read the same books I did as they are constantly doing things when the water is to cold or deep or muddy that make an appearance as fry in March. Which just shouldn't be but there they are right in front of your face and a fry guard bite in March. While I like catching my winter deep fish I have caught a bunch of giants in the backs of the coves and points with a senko in the winter so it's always on the deck.

Rip
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Jigs and big spinnerbaits are come up mid jan. On Lake X they should have 2 or 3 more trout plants by then.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Pat

Post by Pat »

Since I posted the question, I should give a guess as well. I think we will need to stay flexible. Some fish will stay out deep, others will move up following bait. I would start with what was working before the storm, in the case of Oroville that was smaller plastics in about 20 feet. Depending on water color I would also have a white or chartreuse spinnerbait on the deck. Watch electronics to see where bait is. Give inflowing water a try, which means the backs of creeks or steep cuts. Going out Friday, I will report what I find.
pd

Post by pd »

The fish will go crazy for clear frogs in 50’ of water…trust me, it happens every time.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Pat we all know they do whatever they gonna do. With that being said I'm stubborn as a mule and go to reaction baits, starting off dirt shallow and pulling back out as I go. This time of year that means an A-Rig with flashers, chatter bait, squarebill and Lipless. As i move out or based up water clarity it is jerkbaits spoons and jigs (heavy jigs)

that's my thinking for the reservoirs in the storms -
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

ash wrote:Pat we all know they do whatever they gonna do. With that being said I'm stubborn as a mule and go to reaction baits, starting off dirt shallow and pulling back out as I go. This time of year that means an A-Rig with flashers, chatter bait, squarebill and Lipless. As i move out or based up water clarity it is jerkbaits spoons and jigs (heavy jigs)

What about for the Delta?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Pat

Post by Pat »

Went to Oroville yesterday. Did not have high hopes for a "post-front, blue-bird, full-moon, cold day." But the fish were still biting! Prior to the storm the fish had been hanging around in about 20 feet of water. The lake had come up 13 feet, so guess where they were? We started catching them in 30-35 feet. 20 + 13 = 33 right? They were right where they had been before the water came up. We tried reaction baits, jerk-bait, A-Rig, Crankbait and no success. So,went back to plastics and caught them on tubes and ned rigs. Later in the morning we started catching some shallower fish, a couple on the bank, but mostly 10 to 20 feet. Interesting thing was the shallower fish were bigger. The deeper, 30' fish, were mostly 12-13 inches. A lot of the shallower fish were solid 2-2.5 pound fat spots. Best 5 for my buddy Dennis and I were between 11-12 pounds, a decent limit for Oroville. Probably good enough to finish just out of the money in a tourney there. LOL. We had a fun fishing day for our old guys fishing club, no tournament, just meet afterwards to eat lunch and tell lies. 5 boats, 10 guys fishing, reported similar results. One of the fellas caught fish on a brown jig and another, who tends to think outside the box, was catching quality fish on big plastic worms, 6-7" senkos or similar. Our fish were on chunk rock points, and were schooled up some. Did not find them around inflowing water, which disappointed me. We had several double hook ups. I think we totaled over 30 fish in 4 hours of fishing. All in all a pretty good day.
JL

Post by JL »

Thanks for the report! We appreciate a fellow bassmaster helping out his fellow fisherman!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

mark poulson wrote:
ash wrote:Pat we all know they do whatever they gonna do. With that being said I'm stubborn as a mule and go to reaction baits, starting off dirt shallow and pulling back out as I go. This time of year that means an A-Rig with flashers, chatter bait, squarebill and Lipless. As i move out or based up water clarity it is jerkbaits spoons and jigs (heavy jigs)

Spinnerbait, Crankbait (squarebill and bomber5a) 7" black n blue Senko (in the dead lay down tulles), Black n Blue Jig - working that jig down to that shelf. If that don't work, jerkbait and reapers - hell you live there, you tell me :D
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

ash wrote:
mark poulson wrote:

Spinnerbait, Crankbait (squarebill and bomber5a) 7" black n blue Senko (in the dead lay down tulles), Black n Blue Jig - working that jig down to that shelf. If that don't work, jerkbait and reapers - hell you live there, you tell me :D
Hahaha
Thanks Jonathan.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Smokie

Post by Smokie »

Man them fish is gonna go out and buy a simms pro dry suit n layer up... oh wait their already wet :roll: Its looking like a good week for the big bait fellas who been waiting on the cold down south of me and its almost ice season in oregon north of me... but them shasta rats big sisters might come up and eat finally...