I need help on picking a rod

OGP Fishing

I need help on picking a rod

Post by OGP Fishing »

Hey guys I'm new to this site, and I need help picking a casting rod, I have three that I'm picking from.

1. Piscifun Torrent Baitcasting Rod
2. Daiwa Aird Coastal Inshore Casting Rod
3. Daiwa Aird Casting Rod
Thanks!
monte300

Re: I need help on picking a rod

Post by monte300 »

I’m not an expert on rods but for those that are they will need to know things like

1 is this the only rod you will use for everything or
2 what technique(s) do you plan to do? Cranking? Frogging? Punching? Spinnerbaits? Chatterbaits……etc……….
3 what’s your budget?
OGP Fishing

Post by OGP Fishing »

I would want it to do everything but mostly crankbaits, jigs, spinner baits, and Texas rigs. My budget is around $50
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

With the rods you noted:

All around:
Daiwa Aird X Casting Rod 7' Med Hvy

Crankbait:
Dobyns Colt Series Casting Rod 7' Med Hvy Cranking
monte300

Post by monte300 »

OGP Fishing wrote:I would want it to do everything but mostly crankbaits, jigs, spinner baits, and Texas rigs. My budget is around $50
For rods in that price range I’ve always been a fan of the Berkley Lightning Rod
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I miss my ol' Lightnings :oops: ....Back in the day I spooned with one and did everything else with the other but the arsenal got bigger. My question...If your not in a hurry. Why not save up for a rod ? While I caught fish on those rods 30-35 years ago. The reason my arsenal of rods grew was because I was a little slow making the jump to funding my addiction. 8) After I had bought my first real rod I found I had been getting bites on the other rods and never even had a clue that I was bit. As the the purpose of my fishing is catching and my rod = my underwater eyes the upgrade was worth the wait for me.
Even so my pick would be the Diawa med heavy for an all around pick at that price point.
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

For a "Do All" rod, I'd go with a 7', 3 power, medium to medium heavy. If you plan to do a lot of Jigging, Punching, and Swim-baits, go with the Medium Heavy. Otherwise go medium.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Daves

Post by Daves »

Another way to approach getting advise from the wealth of knowledge out there might be to describe where you primarily intend to fish. What is your "style?"
So many talented folks out here could give you focus towards a goal instead of a rod. Just a thought. Good luck. Most importantly: Get on the water:)
monte300

Post by monte300 »

As a “cranker” I prefer a 6’10”- 7’3” medium action rod