Big new California reservoir on track

WB Staff

Big new California reservoir on track

Post by WB Staff »

Big new California reservoir on track.jpg
SACRAMENTO, Calif. —
A long-delayed plan to build a giant reservoir in Northern California to help withstand the U.S. West’s notorious droughts got a huge financial boost on Thursday when the federal government signaled its intent to loan the project nearly $2.2 billion - about half of the cost to design, plan and build it.

The proposal would flood what's left of the town of Sites, a tiny community with just a handful of residents nestled in a valley of the coastal range mountains in rural Colusa County. The idea has been around since the 1950s, but there has never been enough money or political will to move it forward.

But now a megadrought caused by climate change that researchers say is the worst in 1,200 years has renewed interest in the project, and efforts to move the project forward are happening quickly. It is also in line to get about $875 million from a voter-approved bond, plus another $450 million loan from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Read the rest: https://www.kcra.com/article/big-new-ca ... s/39465488
basshol

Re: Big new California reservoir on track

Post by basshol »

Still 2 billion short.dont worry csli will steal the money and never build sh*t..
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

By the time all the environmental impact studies have been completed, permits issued, contract bidding , Indian tribes paid off , government officials paid off , local land owners paid off , etc ! no one reading this post will be alive to see it !
BigBassDaddy1190

Post by BigBassDaddy1190 »

Climate change not mismanagement? Of course.
mike at robo

Post by mike at robo »

Did Newscum say we have a 7 billion surplus??????
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

Climate has been changing ever since the last ice age
People who really think man is contributing to climate might want to follow the science and look at what it tells us happened before man was even on this planet
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

How come San Diego can build a desalination plant, but no other CA city/county can?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

Demorat and environmental extremist
Marin county wanted to build a desalination plant but they are too concerned with the salt
Not to mention the plant requires a lot of power
Electricity around here is not easy to come by with the war on oil the brilliant men and woman in power have going on
Thanks Newsom and Biden
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

Lawley wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:11 pm Demorat and environmental extremist
Marin county wanted to build a desalination plant but they are too concerned with the salt
Not to mention the plant requires a lot of power
Electricity around here is not easy to come by with the war on oil the brilliant men and woman in power have going on
Thanks Newsom and Biden
Do you even fish Lawley? The reason why I ask is that the only thing I've ever seen you contribute to a post is a political rant. Man made climate change is an accepted fact among the scientists who study the issue. If you are going to argue with the vast majority of the world's climate scientists why don't you share your educational background so that we can decide who is more credible. And please explain how Newsome and Biden, both of which have been in office only a few years, are to blame for the CA drought?
Last edited by Jeff C. on Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Keep drinking that cool aid Jeff C but remember to remove your mask before taking a drink and don't forget that 4th booster. Climate change....."Fact" by scientists who study the issue. :lol: :lol: This government buys any result they want.
Even if desal plants could produce all the water homeowners require do you think we would have fuller reservoirs and flowing rivers? Heck no, what we would have is more almond orchards. You have to start thinking like these pricks in charge of our water do. They don't see it like we do all they see is dollar signs.
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

Thanks Whoopbass but I quit wearing masks after I got boosted. Medical science indicates that even if I get COVID the chance of serious illness is extremely low after vaccination and boosting. Damn straight I'm gonna get a 4th dose, as I would rather not get sick if I don't have to. I get the flu vaccine every year for that same reason. So you don't believe in science? Let's see if your opinion changes when you or a loved one is diagnosed with cancer or heart disease or some other condition.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Blame the almond farmers now where have I heard that before :lol:
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
gixxer464

Post by gixxer464 »

jiggin4bass wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:30 am Blame the almond farmers now where have I heard that before :lol:

Psssst. Mark, that's your cue. :lol:
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

And why your at it let's not forget the company's that are building the thousands of homes up and down the central valley. No lets not pick on them. :lol:
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Jeff C. wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:07 am Thanks Whoopbass but I quit wearing masks after I got boosted. Medical science indicates that even if I get COVID the chance of serious illness is extremely low after vaccination and boosting. Damn straight I'm gonna get a 4th dose, as I would rather not get sick if I don't have to. I get the flu vaccine every year for that same reason. So you don't believe in science? Let's see if your opinion changes when you or a loved one is diagnosed with cancer or heart disease or some other condition.
I hope you don't get blood clots or Myocarditis due to the covid vaccines. You will probably come back with saying the risk is low. Well the risk was low from dying with Covid in the first place but i'm sure you were like 80% of the population that bought into this nonsense anyway. Yeah, it came from a bat in China.....right. It just happened to coeincide with election time with a sitting president that neither party liked. And Biden won fair and square. If you don't see the game these politicians are playing on us by now then you probably never will.

Now water......It's a fact Farmers use most of the water. I don't know how that can be questioned. Every piece of farm land you see is allocated roughly 3-4 feet of water for every square feet of land they have if they get irrigation water from one of these districts. If they don't get water from an irrigation district then they pump all they can out of the ground and some even sell excess water. Were all getting screwed here.

We have an open border so we need tens of thousands of more homes to house refugees from around the world.
This country is a mess and voting isn't going to fix it because they rig the vote to whatever they want it to be.
(Reference the last presidential election, the gas tax CA had a few years ago, and Newsom getting recalled to name a few).
Shooter

Post by Shooter »

Damn Whoopbass you paint quite a bleak picture of things. Unfortunately you are right on the money with everything you said. Well done sir...
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

100 days a year
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

You'll get over it :lol:
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Jeff C. wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:07 am Thanks Whoopbass but I quit wearing masks after I got boosted. Medical science indicates that even if I get COVID the chance of serious illness is extremely low after vaccination and boosting. Damn straight I'm gonna get a 4th dose, as I would rather not get sick if I don't have to. I get the flu vaccine every year for that same reason. So you don't believe in science? Let's see if your opinion changes when you or a loved one is diagnosed with cancer or heart disease or some other condition.
What a joke. The same 'medical science' that said the vaccines would stop you from getting it? The same 'medical science' that said, a year later after it was proven it was useless, that it'd help not be so bad? So many friends said they got Covid right after the booster, and it was worse than the flu (thank God not by much). Percentage wise, more friends that got the vaccine got Covid.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

gixxer464 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:36 am
jiggin4bass wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:30 am Blame the almond farmers now where have I heard that before :lol:

Psssst. Mark, that's your cue. :lol:
Oh, water? Ten gallons is used/needed by Newsome's 'buddies' ( ie rich farmers) for EACH almond, which they then sell to China. Trillions of almonds. 95% of water used in Calif. is for Almonds. ;/(
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

You people really need to stop whining about the almond farmers or any farming period. The water problem not going to get fixed anytime soon. If you can't take it here in Ca. Maybe you'll need to move to a different state. Because this is Ca run by Democrats and Big Interest. It always has been and always will be.
Think your ever going to get to ride the Bullet train think again :lol:
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

You should start going to sites with 'real news', not the MSM bs. www.TheLibertyDaily.com will help. It's dozens of headlines with links to articles/websites that changes hourly. Articles by Drs. and 'real' scientists that report they risk their lives by reporting the facts about Covid, kids get sick, professional athletes now having 10x more heart problems 'out of the blue', etc..
Otay Michael

jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Agriculture accounts for approximately 80 percent of all water used in Ca.
Alfalfa uses 15% which is the most water used in Ca. to irrigate farmland
Almond farmers use less than 13% of the water to irrigate farmland
Then there
Rice
Wheat
Cotton
Pastures
Make up that 80%
And for all the water that sent to the ocean every year it is so easy to blame the almond farmers it's all of Agriculture in general and big interest in sacramento to blame. No Dams No Water it's very simple isn't it.
Last edited by jiggin4bass on Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Now move on :lol:
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

Jeff C. wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:54 am
Do you even fish Lawley? The reason why I ask is that the only thing I've ever seen you contribute to a post is a political rant. Man made climate change is an accepted fact among the scientists who study the issue. If you are going to argue with the vast majority of the world's climate scientists why don't you share your educational background so that we can decide who is more credible. And please explain how Newsome and Biden, both of which have been in office only a few years, are to blame for the CA drought?
Ph. D. from the University of California Berkeley in nutritional ethnomedicine
masters degree from the University of Hawaii in medical botany and medical anthropology
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

My main concern is the politicians that tout the "water sent out to the sea". Taking that water for any use would be an ecological disaster. I wonder if the water used in agriculture could be used more economically with modern irrigation technology? I have seen a walnut grove flooded to irrigate it, got to be a better way.
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

So Cal had torrential rains recently and guess where ALL that water went? It was SENT OUT TO THE SEA!!

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
SObassman

Post by SObassman »

Regardless of which side of the political fence you are on how can this new lake be a good idea when they will be taking water from other sources to fill it.
There doesnt seem to be a lot of extra water to go around now and the future doesnt look much different.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Same ol crap just a different day
Just ask any ol Democrat here in Ca.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
JakeV77

Post by JakeV77 »

How’s the spring bite for everyone? 😂
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

I seem to recall that 30 years ago Jimmy Carter stopped a new reservoir on Cottonwood Creek out of Redding. Anybody recall any detail?
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

We need to use the water we have better, instead of building storage for water that isn't here now. The only way they'll fill a new reservoir is by diverting water that the Delta needs now. Based on past performance, if it is filled, they will sell the water to Westlands and other San Joaquin water districts, instead of using it to insure the survival of salmon and other threatened fish.
CLEAN AND DRY
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Has anybody blamed the Almond farmers for the lack of any snowpack in the sierras. Im asking for a friend.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

1!!
Last edited by Lawley on Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Come to the central valley and look around lots of almonds and grapes alot of new ground being put into almonds.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

Yes I see the growth of both farms and housing along with everything that goes along with the two
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

We used to have plenty of water even in drought years.... back then we had MORE farm ground .... today there is less acres farmed and more houses . Pretty easy to figure out the "why", even the "how", but what we can do to fix it is the question. I am biased since my family was here farming before most city people moved in.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

El Jefe wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:22 pm We used to have plenty of water even in drought years.... back then we had MORE farm ground .... today there is less acres farmed and more houses . Pretty easy to figure out the "why", even the "how", but what we can do to fix it is the question. I am biased since my family was here farming before most city people moved in.
Family farms aren't the problem. It's corporate Big Ag, like Stewart Resnick's farming corp. All they care about is profits, even if it destroys the rest of us.
CLEAN AND DRY
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Mark You'll get over it
Nothing wrong with Big Profit
They just hide there tax dollars better is all
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Whoopbass wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:35 am Keep drinking that cool aid Jeff C but remember to remove your mask before taking a drink and don't forget that 4th booster. Climate change....."Fact" by scientists who study the issue. :lol: :lol: This government buys any result they want.
Even if desal plants could produce all the water homeowners require do you think we would have fuller reservoirs and flowing rivers? Heck no, what we would have is more almond orchards. You have to start thinking like these pricks in charge of our water do. They don't see it like we do all they see is dollar signs.
yep.....goberment has found out there is lots of money in water, it's a very valuable commodity. Keeping this state and the people "thirsty" is way more profitable that way.....water and fuel it's the california way for sure
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

That's right its all about the Benjamin's
Hey it's Ca.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
lobinero

Post by lobinero »

BTW that new reservoir is for drinking water use (if it ever fills up) no motor boats will be allowed. Heard this from U.S. Reclamation ranger.
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

Of course. Recreation is last in line and one might say it’s actually frowned on by a certain DemoRat party

No dogs
If so they won’t be free and need leash all times
Only in designated areas

No smoking
No lead
No body contact
No power motors
No vehicle tires off pavement
No camp fires
Bicycles in designated area only
So on. You know any thing fun is not allowed
anything allowed is monitored a certainty not free
Day use fee around 25 dollars
Commie Kali
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Lawley wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:41 am Of course. Recreation is last in line and one might say it’s actually frowned on by a certain DemoRat party

No dogs
If so they won’t be free and need leash all times
Only in designated areas

No smoking
No lead
No body contact
No power motors
No vehicle tires off pavement
No camp fires
Bicycles in designated area only
So on. You know any thing fun is not allowed
anything allowed is monitored a certainty not free
Day use fee around 25 dollars
Commie Kali
Stockton and Modesto gets a portion of their drinking water from Woodward and Modesto reservoirs. Any human can piss and defecate in these bodies of water (wild animals the same) but you better have your pets on a leash. They shut down Woodward to body contact after the busy season. It's all about the MONEY.
This never ending drought is all planned. It's all about control and raising your water rates.
I will get over it :lol: when I move or i'm dead.
Kennortonjr

Post by Kennortonjr »

Unlike many of the perpetual victims (snowflakes?) in this thread, I have looked forward to this reservoir for many years and this is great news.

Perhaps I’m totally ignorant, but it seems like capturing excess runoff during times of excessive winter storms seems like a no-brainer.

The deterioration of much of this thread into borderline lunacy makes me pine for the days when y’all were getting information from newspapers and not Alex Jones types. I picture the 15-year-old who finds this thread concerning his favorite lake in 2045 and thinks, “man people in the social media age really were nuts!”

Any project of this magnitude will have negatives, but a new bass lake of this size should presumably be seen as a positive on, of all things, a bass fishing forum.

I say, let’s load this thing with Florida-strain largemouths and have at it!

To the guy saying no motor boats: That is the first I’ve heard of that. All the other large reservoirs in the area allow motors. They are planning hundreds of campsites (including boat-in sites).

If you check out pages 39,40,41 you can see planned boat ramps and a bit more info:

https://3hm5en24txyp2e4cxyxaklbs-wpengi ... st2017.pdf

It certainly could be possible that I’m mistaken, but I really would be surprised if they banned motors. I would love to hear any further information on this issue.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

That Reservoir going to be just like the Bullet train it's not going to happen period
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Kennortonjr

Post by Kennortonjr »

jiggin4bass wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:30 pm That Reservoir going to be just like the Bullet train it's not going to happen period
And if you were around in the 50s, what would you have said concerning rumors of Lake Oroville?
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

You have too understand your in a state full of Democrats. Oroville in the 50s has nothing to do what's going now that Reservoir well never be built period.If they planned on it being built then they would have built more dams long before the plan for that Reservoir. Like i said its Ca. nothing is going to change any time soon.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

I certainly hope the reservoir is built
It’s a positive thing no matter how badly the state runs it
At the least it’s more water captured

However being an outdoorsman for half a century I have observed closures and restrictions on everything from off road trails to boating and camping. I can compile a list of places we once had access to but no longer do
The list of new places to use would be zero
There are plenty of waters that do not allow outboard motors. I’m not predicting an all out ban state wide but certainly believe the possible new body of water may not allow them. I will bet you if they allow outboards it will have to Ca approved 4 strokes leaving out the people who can not afford new boats

Why do you think an outboard ban is outrageous?
Our leaders are banning small engines Lawn mower. Weed eaters. Camping generators chain saws. All that by 2025 if I remember
And gasoline cars by 2035
Isn’t an outboard gas powered and considered a small engine?
Wake up
Last edited by Lawley on Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

Big new California reservoir on track Now this is funny! :lol:
Glenn Abuelhaj