Moua Takes the Win on Berryessa – YAB 4/16/22

MKA

Moua Takes the Win on Berryessa – YAB 4/16/22

Post by MKA »

20220416_155732 (1).jpg
Tas Moua of Fresno, CA battled it out against a stacked field of 100 anglers on Lake Berryessa on Saturday, 4/16/22. The weather added to the challenge with wind, rain and rough water conditions. Water visibility was reported to be 2 to 3 feet in the coves with better clarity on the main lake.

Per Moua, “The plan originally was to prefish on Friday but wasn’t able to do any prefish since I didn’t arrive until 3:30 PM. I went in blind and had a plan to head north. My goal was to find the best looking cove in the north end starting shallow and working out to deeper water. Tournament morning, I was getting everything ready when I discovered that I left my Torqeedo throttle at home. I headed north and due to the wind and weather conditions, I decided to head into the first small cove. From past experience I figured it would be a reaction bite on the wind-blown banks. I tied on a spinnerbait and caught 2 fish really quick. After that, I decided to continue north. I found a hump in 5 to 8 feet of water that dropped off to deep water. I caught 3 fish on the flat on a 2.8 Keitech on a 1/8oz. round jig head. I then kept working my way north and started exploring shallow. I was throwing the chatterbait and a bigger swimbait with no luck. I then picked up the weightless Senko and got a few missed bites. I then headed out to the main lake to hit the points. I saw birds diving and I knew it was time to pick up the flutter spoon but no luck. I started working down the bank to the next cove and caught another one on the small Keitech. I headed back to the south to another point where I saw the birds diving earlier. On that point there were small schools of fish. I sat in 10 feet and casted out deep with the small Keitech and started picking up fish. In the last hour I picked up an 18 incher on that same point that secured the win.”

Next up for YAB is the California Delta on 5/21/22.