Fuel brand an additives?

jimmyG

Fuel brand an additives?

Post by jimmyG »

Now that 15% ethanol has been approved and in use, are there any fuel brands that for marine application we should beware of? What fuel brands still use the 10% ethanol? Sorry for the question, but I don't know if I trust the ethanol stickers on the pump.

Other than fuel stabilizer, is anybody using any other fuel type additives?
Jboutfishn

Re: Fuel brand an additives?

Post by Jboutfishn »

California currently is 10 ethanol. Don't believe any additive is approved to make E15 usable in small engines and outboards. Mercury specifically states you cannot use E15. This will prove to be interesting.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Why not just use Chevron or texaco both have techron both are ethanol free. I use Chevron in my boat and my motors a merc 1976 850 thunderbolt.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Original Lion collar jig
Building and fishing custom bass jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

I don't think there is any ethanol free gas in CA. All gas is the same except for the additives name brand gas stations add. If they do start selling 15% ethanol gas I hope they post it at the pump.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

jiggin4bass wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:52 pm Why not just use Chevron or texaco both have techron both are ethanol free. I use Chevron in my boat and my motors a merc 1976 850 thunderbolt.
I don't believe Chevron is ethanol free ......
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I've read varying reports about Chevron gas being E-Free so since I have an Ethanol test kit, I'm gonna check it and see. Here's some of what I've found doing a google search

"What's wrong with ethanol?

First of all, it is made out of corn. This is a problem because we are literally burning our food, which causes prices to rise here at home and around the world. Ethanol itself is also corrosive to rubber and plastics. Leaving ethanol laden fuel in your equipment or vehicle for an extended period of time can cause all kinds of damage. When ethanol is mixed with gasoline, and then left to sit for a long period of time (such as in a snowblower during the summer), it separates itself from the gasoline and binds with water. This becomes a deadly mixture for not just the rubber and plastic tubes, but for the entire engine itself. So save yourself the pain and find an e0 station near you" !

If it's so bad why is it used?

Politics, plain and simple. Iowa is the first state in the presidential caucas. Losing Iowa is a very bad sign for any presidential contender. Therefore, concessions must be made to the Iowans, and the most powerful group is the corn lobby. What better way to drive up prices than to force everyone to burn it in their fuel? Have a look at the map to the right showing the concentration of corn production around the country, you will see that Iowa is the epicenter.

https://www.buyrealgas.com/
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

Chevron doesn’t claim their gas is ethanol free. First I’ve ever heard of that was a few posts above. I’ll be very surprised if it is.
Dave Brabec

Post by Dave Brabec »

I use the Mercury Fuel additive every trip.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I tested Chevron Regular gas today, just like Costco, Walmart, FoodsCo, Sinclair, Shell, and Valero, it was 10% Ethanol !!
20220531_171623.jpg
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

There going to be a loud boom in your guys future :lol:
Original Lion collar jig
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
CBS

Post by CBS »

Are 4 stroke motors less sensitive to ethanol?
Water_Dog

Post by Water_Dog »

There are only two oil refineries in CA where we are getting our fuel from. Doesn't matter where you fuel up, its all the same. So if you want to pay the extra .80 cents a gallon putting chevron in for no reason instead of Arco or Safeway, have fun wasting your hard earned money.
Water_Dog

Post by Water_Dog »

CBS wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:59 am Are 4 stroke motors less sensitive to ethanol?
No, still eats at the gaskets etc if you don't run an additive.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Water_Dog wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:39 am
CBS wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:59 am Are 4 stroke motors less sensitive to ethanol?
No, still eats at the gaskets etc if you don't run an additive.
Will Stabil fuel additives protect from E15?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Yes Sta-Bil 360 marine additives will protect against E10 E15 and E85 fuel mixtures. Sta-Bil has a website that will answer your questions.
Original Lion collar jig
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

jiggin4bass wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:45 pm Yes Sta-Bil 360 marine additives will protect against E10 E15 and E85 fuel mixtures. Sta-Bil has a website that will answer your questions.
Thank you.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

Water_Dog wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:38 am There are only two oil refineries in CA where we are getting our fuel from. Doesn't matter where you fuel up, its all the same. So if you want to pay the extra .80 cents a gallon putting chevron in for no reason instead of Arco or Safeway, have fun wasting your hard earned money.
This is true until it gets to the stations. Years ago we had an Automotive additive Rep/Salesman at our Dealership. Very knowledgeable. He explained that when fuel gets to stations additives are then mixed in with fuel as its pumped into storage tanks. E.g. Techron added at Chevron. Not all stations were the same. He then proceeded to test fuel samples in front of us. Chevron and Unocal were the best for having additives. Arco had little to none added. So if you use Arco exclusively you could potentially have an issue as the cleaners that are supposed to be in there keeping injectors clean were not there. I use Arco in my autos only. But mix in Chevron every couple tanks. I wonder though, if I'm adding Mercury additives at every fill up for boat would Arco be ok ??? I dont gamble on my boat.
~ Tony