For everybody who has pets

If it doesn't fit in any other forum, this is where it goes.
jiggin4bass

For everybody who has pets

Post by jiggin4bass »

I've just spent 4 day in the hospital from Cat scratch fever. My cat shot were up to date but early Saturday morning my cat rear paw got trap in the trunk of my son's car. I tried to get the trunk open the trunk and got to close. The cat rip my right up pretty bad and as i grab him to get him off me he bit down on my left thumb. I got him off me bleeding very badly made in the house got it cleanup and doctored up not thinking about infection well I was wrong by 4pm Saturday I was in the ER in Clovis community hospital. Doctor said I should be glad I came when I did. I've had IV with antibiotics pump into be Rabbi shots and Tatis shot and blood thinner shots for clotting.
And I'm feeling better but its going to take some time to recover. The infection spread quickly. And my right arm and left thumb and palm area where I was bit look pretty bad. So just make sure you keep your pet shots up to date. Cat bite are the worst the doctor told me. I'm just glad the infection didn't get into my wrist bone. The blood stream was bad enough.
Doctor said I was one of the lucky ones it didn't get into the bone.
And the doctors and nurses were outstand here at the hospital. I am lucky for sure.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
JL

Re: For everybody who has pets

Post by JL »

Thanks for the heads up! Hope you start feeling better soon!
Tarpon120

Post by Tarpon120 »

Well, the first time that I got it I was just ten years old
I got it from some kitty next door
An' I went to see the doctor and he gave me the cure
I think I got it some more
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

My cat weighs 12lbs the Rabbi shots were very painful. They gave me shot where the bite wounds left hand and in my stomach and right shoulder. I'm still weak and tired but it's getting better.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Tarpon120

Post by Tarpon120 »

That sounds rough, get well soon
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

jiggin4bass wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:38 pm My cat weighs 12lbs the Rabbi shots were very painful. They gave me shot where the bite wounds left hand and in my stomach and right shoulder. I'm still weak and tired but it's getting better.
Rabies? They gave you a rabies shot and you let them? Ridiculous.
Cats scratches and bites are dirty. You can order amoxicillin called fishmox off the internet or pick it up at your feed store. Get a bottle and avoid that quackery of a hospital.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Go to a feed store to get my meds :lol: what kind of PHD hillbilly **** is that or it Obama care inc. It's ok I have united health care and I got very good medical care why I was there from these doctors. I go too pharmacy that has real medication like Levofloxacin and Clindamycin to take care of my problem as for the Rabbi shots they were painful but worth being safe. Good luck with the fishmox :lol:
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

I haven't had to much to laugh about since this happen but going to the feed store madeto get my meds or off the internet was :lol:
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

So you get bit by your cat that just got its paw smashed and caught in the trunk and you/they think rabies could be a possibility so they talk you into getting painful shots just in case. I think I would have rolled the dice being that it was your own pet with current shots and it was probably sitting next to you purring 15 minutes prior.
There has been two reported cases of cat to human rabies transmission since 1960. None in the last 40 years. I guess you're right to be better safe than sorry.

Did they call animal control on you?

Laugh all you want at fishmox but ranchers have been doing it for years.
Fromthemill

Post by Fromthemill »

As an ICU RN, bite wounds can be some of the most dangerous wounds. Mouths are full of bacteria and puncture wounds are deep and difficult to clean so infection can be severe and spread quickly. If the infection spreads to the fascia you can developed necrotizing fasciitis and lose the limb. If it spreads to the blood and septic shock sets in you have a 40% mortality rate. Glad you went and got real medical treatment and IV antibiotics, it probably saved your life.

Also, rabies is 100% fatal after symptoms appear, so pretty much everyone with an animal bite is gonna get the vaccine.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

I'm just glad I'm going to be ok and another week of antibiotics and rest I should be back to working in my shop 3 or 4 hours a day making up some lures and may get in a couple of days of fishing a week.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

The Rabie shot was dumb that's all i'm saying. If it had been a dog bite the wound probably never would have gotten infected except for a little bit around the puncture area.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Whoopbass just drop it your not and expert by any means your telling somebody you get on the internet or go to a feed store to get meds to take care of the a cat bite problem.
Let me tell you this all it may have been painful getting the shots I feel safe I also a titis shot at the same time along with benadryl. And blood thinners in case of blood clots. And strong antibiotics for 4 days my temp was 101.4 on Sat evening 5:05 pm before anything was ever done to me. I got bit early morning Saturday and waited to go into the ER when I couldn't stand the pain way more. That afternoon. The doctor told me you better be glad you came in when you did.
They work on me for over and hour and a half. Taking x-ray of all the wounds on both arms. And I was in a private room before I knew it. Antiboitics. blood thinners painkillers so you go ahead put me down for what I did I believed I did the right thing. Made the right calls along with my wife she choose too watch me go through everything yesterday and stood by me because she wants me around awhile longer. And when I left there my temp was 98.6 because of those doctors and nurses that took very well care of me. And for the next week more antibiotics and rest. And treat the wounds everyday. I may be the smartest person in the world but I'm alive because of the people that help me.
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

Thanks for the info and sharing your experience.

Here's to a speedy and full recovery!

Glenn
Glenn Abuelhaj
R73guide

Post by R73guide »

You’ll get over it.
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

Cats are terrible pets in my opinion
Getting near a cat that’s in distress is a disaster
All cats are assh*les
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

R73guide wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:39 am You’ll get over it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, i'm glad you're doing okay. I don't have any experience with cat bites but I have a bunch of experience with dog bites. Dogs have clean mouths unlike a cat. Who knows if the amoxicillin would have worked if you had taken it right off the bat. The lesson we learned here is don't mess with a cat in distress even if fluffy is your own pet.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Years ago I got my *** kicked by my next door neighbor's cat and I'm here to tell you their bite and claw scratches are no joke!
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

My rat terriers make sure cats (or anything else) do not get within a mile of my house 🤣
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I'm glad you're going to be okay. That couldn't have been any fun.
Doing all the shots is better than missing one, and getting a fatal illness.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

The moral of this story is don't mess around with cats. I'm sure your reaction was to get the cat out as soon as possible; you should of thrown towel or heavy blanket over it to keep it busy while you opened the trunk. Like I said your first reaction is to try and help the cat. Live and learn. I got bit by a cat in college when one got loose in the cafeteria and my boss made me and another guy try and get it out of a small storage room. Never again. That F&%#er was lucky to be alive and released back on campus.
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

mark poulson wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:54 pm I'm glad you're going to be okay. That couldn't have been any fun.
Doing all the shots is better than missing one, and getting a fatal illness.
They are coming out with more for the needle happy folks. Youngsters even. First ever with zero side effects