Gloryhole final goodbye

JVGondal

Gloryhole final goodbye

Post by JVGondal »

98c108b0-0f7f-48d1-9fd9-fefd103900d9.jpg

Over the course of the last month, we watched our store inventory dwindle away to nothing, it was so surreal and painful but at the same time we were grateful to all you customers for helping us liquidate our inventory so we could complete the most heartbreaking thing of all and that was to close her doors on August 20, 2022. As most of you know the story...THIS NEVER SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED! but when you deal with landlords/property owners that don't care about a 38 year old icon going forward in this community this is the unfortunate results.

To once again summarize what happened..... over the course of the last 2 years, we had 3 buyers for this iconic store in escrow, which each would have kept Glory Hole Sports open, but when the landlords/ property owners, Dan & Jeanne Pinnell refused to provide reasonable lease terms each and every time we ultimately lost ALL 3 buyers. (We even offered the business to the Pinnell's in July 2022 which they declined) So with our health and well being, being affected during this 2 year battle, we sadly made the final decision to close her up.

With all that being said, we wanted to make a shout out to those in this community that really stood up and helped us out, not just during this painful close down but just being true friends throughout the years.

Glory Hole Sports has held some very special memories over the course of her 38 years and we didn't take those lightly...so we want to THANK all those customers that came in and shared those memories with us...some through tears! It broke our hearts to see this end this way..as we have said over and over again...THIS COMMUNITY AND ANGLERS ALL DESERVED BETTER!!! A big THANK YOU goes to every single customer that made Glory Hole Sports that special place over these years. Gene and I feel very fortunate to have been a part of it for the last 6 1/2 years, but devastated that it ended on our watch.

Last but not least a huge THANK YOU goes to our 2 remaining loyal and reliable employees all the way to the end and beyond.....our Assistant Store Manager Patrick Ennis and our office manager Dianne Bowcutt, we could not have gotten through this nightmare without you both.

With much appreciation to everyone's support and well wishers,
We Thank you...(and remember, own the land your business sits on)
Gene & Dawn Hildebrand
Glory Hole Sports
mark poulson

Re: Gloryhole final goodbye

Post by mark poulson »

Sorry to hear this. It sucks.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I, and as I'm sure there are many, are sad to see you and the store go !! I have many great memories of visiting the store for everything from snacks, baits, Tournament sign ups and pairings, info, and great friendly service !! It's too bad the "Land Lords" can't see the future they now face of finding someone to occupy that space !!! Good luck to that, HA !!! I thank you for all you guys have done and best of luck in your next venture. YOU WILL BE MISSED !!!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
marinerfandave

Post by marinerfandave »

I will be very curious what the Pinnell's intend to do with the property, I would think that certainly some income from a lower lease rate would be more beneficial than having no tenants at all (unless they already have a new tenant lined up at the higher rate, but I suspect not). Regardless, the community and visiting fisherman/tourists have lost a treasure, best of luck to you both in your next chapter.
Pat

Post by Pat »

We will surely miss Glory Hole Sports. It is my understanding that the owners are being required to replace the fuel tanks for the gas station. Certainly a large expense and may explain the higher lease and lack of guarantee for the gas station.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

That piece of real state is worthless until the owner fixes the problem. He can't rent or sell it until the tanks are replaced. We have a gas station here in Madera owner of the property is now removing and installing new tanks. He wanted to sell it but the city said no fix the tanks first.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Original Lion collar jig
Building and fishing custom bass jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
marinerfandave

Post by marinerfandave »

I recall that about the gas tanks from prior posts about Glory Hole closing. For the owners, they have no financial incentive to spend the extra $$$ and get the tanks replaced because, while they may ask for higher lease income from the tenant i.e. Glory Hole, the store operator does not see any additional income just because there are new tanks. Customers go and get their gas/supplies, etc. and don't think for a minute about whether the tanks are new. So for Glory Hole or a new mini market/station operator to be willing to pay higher rents, they will need more income from people like us who are buying gas/supplies. Since that demand for additional purchases probably is flat, again we don't think about that as customers, my guess is the landowner will have to find another purpose for the property that will command higher rents somehow i.e. someone builds a motel on it for example (not that it would be a good location or allowed by the county, but that could be a "higher and better use" of the property, appraisers look at that factor when evaluating commercial property values. That said, the landowners would still probably have to take the tanks out to use this land for something besides a gas station.
JVGondal

Post by JVGondal »

Aww. The good old gas tank scam.
BASNFAN

Post by BASNFAN »

That is really bad news for Glory Hole and all the customers who have depended on them for fuel and gear, etc. I was wondering if there is any other sport/bait shops in the area. If not, I was thinking a new place in the area could be quite an investment seeing as how popular New Melones is for fishermen and boating enthusiasts.
Fish bite twice a day - half hour before I get there and half hour after I leave.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Find a good location and some money your in business.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Original Lion collar jig
Building and fishing custom bass jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
JVGondal

Post by JVGondal »

Example of the state running people out of business
Why not use the outrageous gas tax to put in new tanks ?