Thoughts on Dee Thomas Flippin Only Tournament

Fast Eddie

Thoughts on Dee Thomas Flippin Only Tournament

Post by Fast Eddie »

I have been kickin around the idea of contacting some of the tournament orgs. to hold a Dee Thomas Memorial flippin Tournament next year. Could be team or individual......up to organizer. It would be just like the snag proof open (sort of). Only 2 flippin sticks per fisherman. Flippin rods cannot be in a drop shot configuration, no punchin either. This would be a pure flippin tourney. Boat check, only plastics and jigs (pork OK) for baits. (Sorry but boats would have to be emptied) Thinkin it would be a 3 day, 3 fish per day tourney. Final would be top 10. Maybe reasonable entry, or no entry fee(if sponsors would pony up) Maybe everyone has to have an operating scale and record on phone similar to kayak stuff. Catch, weigh, record and release.
Anyway, just an idea. How about you guys, any thoughts? Let's kick this around. Does it sound like fun?
TL
FE
PS Hope to see ya'all next Sat at the Dan Mathisen's Dee Thomas Open (225 all in) out of Holland Marina.
Dave Brabec

Re: Thoughts on Dee Thomas Flippin Only Tournament

Post by Dave Brabec »

Most people think pitching is Flipping.
JVGondal

Post by JVGondal »

Dave Brabec wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:46 am Most people think pitching is Flipping.
X2

Flippin Dee Thomas style take hours of practice to learn to get the presentation right
The bait enters the water gently without sound or splash. It’s presented just as a 12 or 15 foot cane pole did in the beginning setting the jig down vertical
I learned the Dee Thomas flippin years ago

I fished with many people
Dee a couple times and just about the only one that didn’t think pitching was flipping was Dee himself.
Flipping is done with a fixed amount of line and reel disengaged. No reeling in or out.
With left hand pull out enough line that with arm fully extended the bait is hanging at the reel with rod at 1 o’clock position
Stays that way for flipping pretty must the whole time unless you are trying to flip more or less distance
In all reality flippin does not require a reel at all

About the only time you reel line in is when you catch a fish or get done fishing
From flipping pitching was developed to get the same quiet splash less entry with more distance but the presentation is not as good. It’s pretty tough to pitch as gently
Last edited by JVGondal on Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
JVGondal

Post by JVGondal »

8’ flippin stick. Line pulled out with left hand arm stretched out equals about 24 feet
So flipping used about 24 or 25 feet of line

You could limit the reels to 24 feet of line maximum length to make it interesting

Or you could just figure that flipping evolved into pitching and call it good
kb

Post by kb »

I know one thing for sure a tournament with that many restrictions...... Dee Thomas wouldn't have fished it....

Can do an event to honor Dee without so many rules that can't be regulated anyway... There have been some contact with the orgs already to see what we can come up with in the future to honor Dee. Has to be a big event to throw his name to he wouldn't like a 20 boat tournament carrying his legacy.... just my thoughts!

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Make it a big event and get sponsors like Bass Pro Shops and Other big tackle companies to come in on the tournament wouldn't hurt to make a few phone call. I'm sure somebody is in good with these big company's
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Original Lion collar jig
Building and fishing custom bass jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
JVGondal

Post by JVGondal »

kb wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:24 pm I know one thing for sure a tournament with that many restrictions...... Dee Thomas wouldn't have fished it....

Can do an event to honor Dee without so many rules that can't be regulated anyway... There have been some contact with the orgs already to see what we can come up with in the future to honor Dee. Has to be a big event to throw his name to he wouldn't like a 20 boat tournament carrying his legacy.... just my thoughts!

kb
Agree. No special rules should be required
Just go fishing. Only rule I like to see is that it’s held on the Ca delta
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Dan Is hosting an event in honor of Dee on September 24th. It’s not a flipping only derby, but the sentiment is there.

B8716BBA-238B-4FBC-8484-50E8AE142765.jpeg
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

Apparently, the point is being missed. Dee invented the flippin technique, therefore a flippin only tournament. (Geez, no one had a problem with a frogs only tournament with more restrictions, that pulled 150 boats) So thoughts on that type of tournament was what I was seeking. As far as Dee not fishing a 20 boat tournament, he was fishin smaller numbers than that. Didn't seem to bother him and it was a lot of fun
It was just an idea thrown out there for response. So I'm detecting no interest.
Thanks for your participation all,
TL
FE
Hope to see y'all Saturday.
Dave Brabec

Post by Dave Brabec »

Dee showed me a flipping tip.If you want a little more distance grab the line between first and second guide from the reel instead of at the reel.
scott39

Post by scott39 »

Fast Eddie wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:06 am Apparently, the point is being missed. Dee invented the flippin technique, therefore a flippin only tournament. (Geez, no one had a problem with a frogs only tournament with more restrictions, that pulled 150 boats) So thoughts on that type of tournament was what I was seeking. As far as Dee not fishing a 20 boat tournament, he was fishin smaller numbers than that. Didn't seem to bother him and it was a lot of fun
It was just an idea thrown out there for response. So I'm detecting no interest.
Thanks for your participation all,
TL
FE
Hope to see y'all Saturday.
You asked for thoughts. That's what you got
Dobyns Rods
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Dave Brabec wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:37 am Dee showed me a flipping tip.If you want a little more distance grab the line between first and second guide from the reel instead of at the reel.
I got the same tip many moons ago with fishing at Clearlake with him...

Kind of awkward at first but with a little practice yeah you can really get some extra distance With the same eazy entry.