Ghost TM running time on Max

Rod Martin

Ghost TM running time on Max

Post by Rod Martin »

How long can I run my TM on Max ?

Say my main motor dies and I head to the ramp on TM. set up on 36 volts

How long and what should I run it on ?

Reason I ask , I charged my TM batteries and 1 is showing 61% charge rest are 100%. I was told to run them down to 25% or so and then recharge to reset calibration on that battery. My plan is to go 2 or 3 trips without charging then check the batteries and head to the ramp on max while watching my charge condition until I get down to 25%. Then do a recharge

But don't want to hurt my TM doing this.

Thanks
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Marc

Re: Ghost TM running time on Max

Post by Marc »

While it may not be a problem for your Ghost or your boat's wiring (or it may) why take a chance? I would hook up a 12v light or fan or other accessory to run the battery down.
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

So if I shut off main power and run a jumper from that battery to my boat system and turn on my running lights ?

Leave on over night /
Paul Matthews

Post by Paul Matthews »

Hooking up a light won't give you any idea how long you can run on max Amp draw is the answer. I do know if you run on high for an extended period of time the batteries can overheat and will shut down. I run lithium pros and until recently an Ultrex which draws more power. Had a dead battery and ran aprox. 3 miles back to the ramp. I have never run my lithium pro 36-volt batteries down. I wouldn't worry about it.
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

Short answer; it depends...... are you running lead acid, AGM, or lithium? I'm assuming lithium since you know the charge percentage and want to "reset" them but maybe you have a fancy charger that shows that on lead acid. How many amp hours are your batteries rated for? This is the key question. There's a big jump in amp draw once you get above 50%-%60 setting on the TM. Assuming you have lithium it would be fine to run them down to %25 over several trips but if you have lead acid that would be bad to wait between recharging. As mentioned before, some lithium brands may shut down as a safety measure if the amp draw is too high over an extended time period

Garmin has an amp draw chart on their website for the Force using both 24V and 36V..... it's not exactly the same as your Ghost but it'll give you a pretty good baseline and you can easily calculate approximate amp draw/run time at each setting knowing the amp hr rating on your batteries. These are also for "normal conditions", wind, current, weeds, aftermarket prop will all change the results
Garmin Force 36v
Garmin Force 36v
So if you have 50 ah lithium batteries, they will last about 1 hr at 100% setting with the Force..... lead acid cannot run as deep into discharge as lithium and your run time will be less. AGM is between lithium and lead acid in terms of depth of discharge
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

I have 3 50ah Ionic lithium batteries on my TM after my last trip one of the batteries only showed 61% after charging the others 100% or 99%. I very seldom use more than 30% during a fishing trip .
Called the battery company was told to run them down to 20 to 25% and recharge to reset that one battery. For me that would be 2 or 3 trips and maybe some time on the TM coming back to the ramp.

I was just concerned that I may harm my TM by running it on high that long. I was told that it would, I have never had it happen before.

I was hoping a Lowrance rep may see this and answer . I contacted Lowrance by email got an answer back that someone would contact me then got an email asking me if they did a good job but no answer to my question.

I will be fishing 3 times before my next tournament so thought that would be a good way to reset that battery .

Thanks
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

that's about 2 hrs of run time left on that one battery with a 60% setting on the trolling motor..... you're probably right about not running it at 100% for a long periods of time but should be no issue at 60% or 70%.... burn the bank at the end of your day
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Thanks for all replys . It's easier than trying to get down and see which battery is the one I need to run down.

I see a serial number or something on my phone app but not sure which battery it relates too and I don't bend down for close looks to good anymore.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Rod, if I understand your situation correctly, you are trying to balance your trolling motor batteries since one is out of balance. Because one is running lower SOC than the other two, you need to deplete the other 2, and not the one that is running lower than the other two. This is why I suggested depleting your other two by powering a 12v item off of them at home. Running all three at the same time on a fishing trip will continue keeping them out of balance.

Your batteries probably have the serial number on them so you can compare each battery to your app and determine which battery is low. Just noticed you are in Holiday, Fl. I was just there the last week of August.
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Marc wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:46 am Rod, if I understand your situation correctly, you are trying to balance your trolling motor batteries since one is out of balance. Because one is running lower SOC than the other two, you need to deplete the other 2, and not the one that is running lower than the other two. This is why I suggested depleting your other two by powering a 12v item off of them at home. Running all three at the same time on a fishing trip will continue keeping them out of balance.

Your batteries probably have the serial number on them so you can compare each battery to your app and determine which battery is low. Just noticed you are in Holiday, Fl. I was just there the last week of August.
OK I was asking about the other because when I called the battery company I was told to run them all down to 20-25%, That the battery was charging and at the same charge as the other 2 but the charge meter for that battery was out of sync.

I will call them again and see if I understood them wrong
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Marc wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:46 am Rod, if I understand your situation correctly, you are trying to balance your trolling motor batteries since one is out of balance. Because one is running lower SOC than the other two, you need to deplete the other 2, and not the one that is running lower than the other two. This is why I suggested depleting your other two by powering a 12v item off of them at home. Running all three at the same time on a fishing trip will continue keeping them out of balance.
Hmmmmm, I don't claim too be an expert and maybe completely off base here but this sounds completely backwards to me. It's not a simple issue of batteries being out of balance. It's an issue of one battery not accepting a full charge and that one battery needs to be "re-set" by draining it down to 20%-25%. The battery charger has individual banks that individually monitor the state of charge for each individual battery. So if it were a simple out of balance issue, then one charge cycle would resolve it for all three. Again, I maybe off base here but it seems the goal is to reset the one battery by draining it down so that all three will in turn accept a %100 charge

The only way I could see this explanation applying would be if using a single bank 36v charger, then maybe, vs a more typical setup with 3 bank 12v charger. With a single bank 36v charger I could see the charger shutting off after 2 of the 3 batteries reached full capacity

I'd be curious what the end result is since I have lithium batteries arriving today :D
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:45 am
Hmmmmm, I don't claim too be an expert and maybe completely off base here but this sounds completely backwards to me. It's not a simple issue of batteries being out of balance. It's an issue of one battery not accepting a full charge and that one battery needs to be "re-set" by draining it down to 20%-25%. The battery charger has individual banks that individually monitor the state of charge for each individual battery. So if it were a simple out of balance issue, then one charge cycle would resolve it for all three. Again, I maybe off base here but it seems the goal is to reset the one battery by draining it down so that all three will in turn accept a %100 charge

The only way I could see this explanation applying would be if using a single bank 36v charger, then maybe, vs a more typical setup with 3 bank 12v charger. With a single bank 36v charger I could see the charger shutting off after 2 of the 3 batteries reached full capacity

I'd be curious what the end result is since I have lithium batteries arriving today :D

OK
I just got off the phone with my battery company.

I can take it fishing run the TM and monitor that battery, when it gets down to 20-25% I charge and it will reset.
The guy said I could just run the one down but it may be easier doing it this way.

when I had the batteries installed they are numbered 1,2,3 on the cables but there is no serial numbers on the tops so I am going to give that a try this Friday and see what happens before pulling batteries to find the right one.

I could hook up a drain on each battery and see on my app which is which but I think next time I have the boat serviced I will have them write serial numbers on top of each battery. I'm not as good at getting down into those compartments as I used to be
Marc

Post by Marc »

Actually there are quite a few chargers that do not have separate battery leads. For instance, I use a Stealth 1 charging system that does not use separate leads, and there are others as well. I think consulting his battery manufacturer is the best bet to find out why the batteries are out of balance, and the best way to charge the lithium with the low SOC. If his charger has separate 12v leads then he should be able to connect just the low battery (disconnect the high two) and bring it back to full charge unless there is a problem with the battery or charger. If it is the charger he can verify this by swapping the leads.
All three of my Lithium trolling batteries (100aH) rarely get below 94% after a full day of use, and all discharge evenly.

I would be questioning why one of the OP's batteries ran lower than the others, and wouldn't charge, and then has to run the others low (and the bad one even lower) to get them all to charge properly.
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I'm not as good at getting down into those compartments as I used to be
[/quote]

Rod, that's what cellphone cameras with a flash are for. Hahaha
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

mark poulson wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:01 pm I'm not as good at getting down into those compartments as I used to be
[/quote]

Hey I use a camera with flash to read info on cans of soup and at the restaurant I take a picture of the special board so I can take it to the table and blow it up
70 is young unless you spent a lot of your life working 70-100 hr weeks and have two old style fake knees. But on the good side I had gastric sleeve surgery and lost 140 lbs so I can get around but that's another story :lol:

You should see me trying to get my fish out of the live well , I use an ice chest most of the time so I don't have to bend down and retrieve drinks from in the boat cooler. :wink:
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rod Martin wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:17 am
mark poulson wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:01 pm I'm not as good at getting down into those compartments as I used to be
Hey I use a camera with flash to read info on cans of soup and at the restaurant I take a picture of the special board so I can take it to the table and blow it up
70 is young unless you spent a lot of your life working 70-100 hr weeks and have two old style fake knees. But on the good side I had gastric sleeve surgery and lost 140 lbs so I can get around but that's another story :lol:

You should see me trying to get my fish out of the live well , I use an ice chest most of the time so I don't have to bend down and retrieve drinks from in the boat cooler. :wink:
[/quote]
Wow, you must have a great warranty!
Seriously, I'm sorry you've had to go through so much.
Tight lines.
CLEAN AND DRY
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

mark poulson wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:13 pm

Tight lines.
[/quote]

Sorry I didn't mean that as a poor me but as a I'm having a great time but at a slower pace moment .

If you get out to Florida I have a boat ready :D
WRB

Post by WRB »

Either a bad charger bank or more then likely the connection. If the battery isn’t right warranty should work. Getting old isn’t for sissy’s but better then the alternative.
You moved to Florida at the right time,we are going down bow 1st!
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rod Martin wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:05 am
mark poulson wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:13 pm

Tight lines.
Sorry I didn't mean that as a poor me but as a I'm having a great time but at a slower pace moment .

If you get out to Florida I have a boat ready :D
[/quote]
:D :D :D
CLEAN AND DRY
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

OK

I did as the Battery guy told me , took the boat out fishing and ran the problem battery down to 20%. other 2 down to 60%

Brought it home put to charger --- ZIP-- , But charger showed 1 yellow light and after a few min. showed 2 yellow and flashed a red light for a sec. on bad battery and 1 yellow on the others showing charging

So called the battery company back. What I got from him was go to the website warranty page and fill out the info , he would send me a return shipping label and 3-4 days transit - 3=4 days repair== 3=4 days transit back to me. and I would have my battery back. Flustered I asked what I was supposed to do for my tournament next week.

His reply was HE couldn't help ME if I wasn't going to help myself. I don't even know what that means. Then after more talk he said I could hook up another battery AGM or lead acid that was 50% discharged and let it charge for 1 hr. leaving the details of how to determine a battery is at 50% up to me.

Trying that now. I have had the batteries for a year or 2 always had good luck with them BUT nothing was said about what may have caused this to happen and with his attitude I think maybe I will buy any new batteries from a company that has a local store or rep that I can deal with.

And would still like to know what caused the problem in the first place.

After hooking the other battery to it the charger shows 3 yellow light and 14volts going to the battery I hooked to it and the problem battery now shows nothing on my phone app where before it was showing 21%.
Yaboy

Post by Yaboy »

While your waiting for one battery to get to you, why don't you run your ghost as a 24v set up. When your third one gets in, switch it back. That saved me one day on the water when I had a battery go out.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Yaboy wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:37 am While your waiting for one battery to get to you, why don't you run your ghost as a 24v set up. When your third one gets in, switch it back. That saved me one day on the water when I had a battery go out.

That's the plan
I'm hooking them up 24 volt this morning when I remove the bad battery and fishing Monday to see if I have enough power for a full day tournament .
JVGondal

Post by JVGondal »

Reading this thread makes me think these smart chargers and lithium battlers are like smart cars

Smart means dumb
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

JVGondal wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:10 pm Reading this thread makes me think these smart chargers and lithium battlers are like smart cars

Smart means dumb
I have a small boat but fish thru pads and heavy grass, thought a 36 volt TM would be great BUT my 177TR Ranger is not rated for much weight so 14lbs per battery is much better than 60 or 70 lbs
and for 2 years I have had NO problems , now some problems

What bothered me was the way I was treated by the company on the phone. His attitude and not being able to get a quick repair. Would hate to go thru this with my car. Now that would be hell.
JVGondal

Post by JVGondal »

I am considering lithium myself when it’s time for batteries
These story’s are discouraging. If I learn how they work and understand them maybe It can be a battery I buy
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

JVGondal wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:07 am I am considering lithium myself when it’s time for batteries
These story’s are discouraging. If I learn how they work and understand them maybe It can be a battery I buy
Buy from a well known local dealer near you. Then you have someone local to call if you do have a problem.
CLEAN AND DRY
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

mark poulson wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:12 pm
JVGondal wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:07 am I am considering lithium myself when it’s time for batteries
Buy from a well known local dealer near you. Then you have someone local to call if you do have a problem.
yes , If you have a local dealer OR a local Pro that is on staff or uses the brand it always helps.

Like I said I have had no problems with the batteries for 2 years and after rewiring to 24 volts went out and had plenty of power for a day of fishing, it was just the way their warranty guy talked to me . I was sent an email with the return shipper attached that didn't work so I called and got a person that was just a delete to work with .
Now that I knowI can operate on 24 volts I'll see how this battery or it's replacement comes back and decide where to go from there, knowing that I can operate without 1 battery
When I bought these batteries they had a 5 year warranty, now it is 11 years and the price is very good so we'll see.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Just got my reply from Lowrance to my question

How long can I run on max

it was

As long as your power supply lasts. :shock:
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rod Martin wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:44 am Just got my reply from Lowrance to my question

it was

Will running it until the batteries go down void your warranty on the Ghost?
CLEAN AND DRY
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

mark poulson wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:13 pm
Rod Martin wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:44 am Just got my reply from Lowrance to my question

it was

Will running it until the batteries go down void your warranty on the Ghost?
Not sure I didn't ask that BUT I saved the email from them that said "as long as your power supply will last"
JVGondal

Post by JVGondal »

it was

Wise guys hey?

It depends on many factors. Boat weight
Is there current? Wind? Prop type
I can understand how they might not be able to give an accurate answer
But at least a ballpark
Sheez
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

JVGondal wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:12 pm

it was

Wise guys hey?

It depends on many factors. Boat weight
Is there current? Wind? Prop type
I can understand how they might not be able to give an accurate answer
But at least a ballpark
Sheez
Someone told me not to run it on max to drain the batteries, So I asked Lowrance support how long I could run the TM on max. So a good answer is as long as the batteries last . I would guess that means I can put on max and head to the ramp if my main motor doesn't start and go till I get there or drain my TM batteries
Charles

Post by Charles »

By chance do you have Ionic batteries? There has been an issue with their app and they just came out with an update for this week that fixed all of my similar issues.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Charles wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:12 pm By chance do you have Ionic batteries? There has been an issue with their app and they just came out with an update for this week that fixed all of my similar issues.

Yes

My app is Version 2.02

The battery I had a problem with is back at their plant being checked
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rod Martin wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:51 am
Charles wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:12 pm By chance do you have Ionic batteries? There has been an issue with their app and they just came out with an update for this week that fixed all of my similar issues.

Yes

My app is Version 2.02

The battery I had a problem with is back at their plant being checked
Good luck!
CLEAN AND DRY