Is tournament bass fishing still considered a sport?

sharkbass12

Is tournament bass fishing still considered a sport?

Post by sharkbass12 »

Seems like with YouTube and livescan anyone with the funds can be a pro angler. The learning curve has dramatically shorten recently with all this new technology IMO.

A friend of mine won a major bass tournament last year and the guy only has been bass fishing for two years. He finished very well in the AOY race as well. He said YouTube and livescan was a major contributor to his success.

Is the learning curve becoming too easy nowadays?
johnabsmith

Re: Is tournament bass fishing still considered a sport?

Post by johnabsmith »

not on the delta..
Bassmonkey1980

Post by Bassmonkey1980 »

machadobass

Post by machadobass »

I am with sharkbass12 100%
sharkbass12

Post by sharkbass12 »

:oops:
johnabsmith wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:28 pm not on the delta..
Most of the top anglers on the delta fish it every other day. Not all of them tho. I know this because I see them at the launch all the time. Is that really a skill, or an advantage?

Doesn’t sound like a level playing field.
sharkbass12

Post by sharkbass12 »

machadobass wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:07 am I am with sharkbass12 100%
It should go back to 2d sonar and GPS. I outfitted my rig with livescope and it took the excitement out of fishing for me. It’s very easy for me to locate bass with it.
johnabsmith

Post by johnabsmith »

exactly, you make my point. someone must put in the time. you can’t buy your way into delta success. it’s not an advantage, they sacrifice other things to fish more.

then on top of the fishing you must be keen on the nuances which separate the sticks from the joes. I’ve fished the shoulder of people who I consider rats, thrown the same setup and can’t boat a fish while they’re smokin em.
sharkbass12

Post by sharkbass12 »

johnabsmith wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:58 am exactly, you make my point. someone must put in the time. you can’t buy your way into delta success. it’s not an advantage, they sacrifice other things to fish more.

then on top of the fishing you must be keen on the nuances which separate the sticks from the joes. I’ve fished the shoulder of people who I consider rats, thrown the same setup and can’t boat a fish while they’re smokin em.
I can agree with that. It seems like it becomes more gambling, or a luck factor between those top sticks. They fluctuate in the standings so much.
cww300

Post by cww300 »

I've always viewed tournament bass fishing as a strategic game rather than a sport. Physical talent, or mental pressure do not come into play all that often.