David Morris wins Slay Nation at Don Pedro

basstrophy

David Morris wins Slay Nation at Don Pedro

Post by basstrophy »

slay nation winner.png
If you want to experience some rod bending, drag screaming and some great times, Don Pedro is the place to fish right now. The weather was perfect for a kayak duel at Don Pedro, weather ranged from mid 50’s to the low 80’s with the water temperature ranging from the low 60’s to the high 60’s later in the afternoon. Fish were caught from topwater to bottom bouncing lures, whatever you wanted to use was working. Once lines were out and everyone submitted their catches, David Morris wins with a dominating 89.00” or in pounds just shy of 17 pounds. Morris showed up at Don Pedro without any practice. He ran 4 to 5 miles to the back of a major creek arm to get away from the boat traffic, once he made a couple turns in the creek arm, he noticed a bunch of bass fry and bass protecting the fry. Morris was casting to the bank with his favorite Senko and started off the day with an 18.50” and a 20.25” largemouth. He worked towards the back of the creek and quickly filled his 5 fish limit. Since he had made such a long run, he decided to start his way back to the launch early. While traveling back, Morris stopped on a point and caught a 16.75” bass on a chatter bait which propelled him to the win.

“That 17.50” fish at 2:45 PM just 15 minutes before lines out culled me over an inch.”

The chatter bait was a Jack Hammer ½ ounce white and chartreuse paired with a Berkley power bait twin tail trailer. Morris never looked at the leader board, so it was a surprise to him to hear he won the tournament. Morris thanked the good Lord and his beautiful bride for all their support. David Morris is one of the greatest people one can meet.

Michael Lavoie placed second with 87.50”. Lavoie started the morning off at a community hole with topwater but didn’t get any love. He switched to a Branson and a Mag Draft swimbait. The Mag Draft Bait quickly put his first keeper in the boat. Lavoie turned his kayak around and fished the Branson Bait and caught an 18.00”. After the wind picked up, Lavoie switched up to an underspin paired with a 3.3” Keitech fished up right next to the mudline.

“I found an area that had a break in the bank and the wind caused a funnel effect, this is where I caught several more fish on the swimbaits and a rip bait.”

Lavoie moved to a different location with some big rock and culled a few nice fish with the Branson swimbait. He also caught a few key keepers on a rip bait with long pauses between rips.

“The wind helped me catch a couple key fish on the Branson bait.”

Lavoie thanked his wife and family for all their support and his sponsors Lowrance, Branson Baits, Relion Lithium, Motorguide Diawa, AFTCO, Costa and PLine. Lavoie thanked Dave from Slay Nation for running a great event.

Pang En finished in third with 86.75”. This is En’s third tournament he has fished and his second top three finish. En caught his first fish on a Senko quickly but then only had one fish at 10:30 AM. A few moments later En catches an 18.75” bass on a popper.

“After that popper fish, it gave me a second wind.”

En moved to a main lake point and caught 7 fish on a drop-shot and a Senko between 11 AM and noon. Most of En’s fish were caught shallow but a few key fish came in 20-feet of water on a drop-shot. On his way back to the ramp at 2:35 PM, En caught a 17.75” fish that pushed him to third place.

“I had a 5 pounder break me off, if I had only caught that fish.”

En thanked Slay Nation for putting on these events.

1. David Morris 89.00”
2. Michael Lavoie 87.50”
3. Pang En 86.75”
4. Salvador Arceo 86.50”
5. Robert Yamamoto 86.25”
6.Max Lee 86.25”
7. Leonardo Torres 86.25”
8. Joshua Bryant 86.00”
9. Angel Sanchez 86.00”
10. Juan Mendoza 84.00”

Big Fish:
David Morris 20.25”