Testing 1, 2,3 for winter

Fast Eddie

Testing 1, 2,3 for winter

Post by Fast Eddie »

With winter fast approaching just wondering how many of ya'll, have tested your winter clothing with your inflatable life vests. I've read about buoyancy ratings up to 32lbs, but it's not clear as to whether or not if I fall in fully dressed for winter (long underwear, flannel shirt, denim jeans, jacket or sweatshirt, then guidewear, and boots (soaked a person would weigh about 350 lbs or more ?), would it keep my head above water. I've asked several folks at stores that sell these mustangs, and BPS hydrostatic vests and no one knows. So I put it to ya'll, anybody test this? It's definitely something worth thinking about if you fish in Dec, Jan Feb. To me its a safety thing.
Thanks all
TL
FE
ash
SpeedBump

Re: Testing 1, 2,3 for winter

Post by ash »

I see a tick Tock challenge - all yall get in full winter gear with an inflatable PFD and jump in to see what happens - remember to keep the camera horizontal throughout the entire video :lol:
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

It would be nice to know.
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

You might find the answer on the Coast Guard website, since they set the standards for life vests.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

You and your fishing buddy should go out one of you should put all your winter gear on now before winter hit and the PFD of your choice jump off in the water and test it if you sink and your body go under then you know it doesn't work then there someone there that fish the out. That's pretty simple.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Original Lion collar jig
Building and fishing custom bass jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

The point here is when we fish in winter, being bundled up, we take for granted that we're safe........but are we really?
Just a thought.
TL
FE
JVGondal

Post by JVGondal »

Test in a swimming pool if one is available
Let jiggim4bass jump in a lake 🤣
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

I don't bundle up in the winter to fish never have.But then again I'm not old and clumsy like most on this post and i don't plan on falling out of my boat any time soon. Leave the Irish coffee at home you'll be safe.
Original Lion collar jig
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
AVG.JOE

Post by AVG.JOE »

What about when u fell out of ur boat in ur driveway? Did u plan that?
Custom rod builder/rod repair

Hook,Line and Sinker
2019/2020 A.O.Y
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

The ground broke my fall I was lucky :D
Original Lion collar jig
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

We remember a video few years back with someone doing a lifejacket test in foul weather gear by jumping into a pool, but none of us can remember who did it. Does anyone remember that?
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

I think the WB sports writer is challenging you'll
Go get your winter gear out throw it on and PDF
and go jump in the pool. Alcohol got to be involved in this one :lol:
Original Lion collar jig
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
pd

Post by pd »

Personally I think the most important factor is HOW you’re going to get back 8th your boat if you fall off. It ain’t easy! I don’t have room for a swim ladder on my rig. I jump in the lake every s9noften during the summer to cool off and test my ability to get back onboard. I step on the lower unit, grab whatever I can on the transom, and go “mad-dog” to get back in. Try it sometime.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

pd wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:23 pm Personally I think the most important factor is HOW you’re going to get back 8th your boat if you fall off. It ain’t easy! I don’t have room for a swim ladder on my rig. I jump in the lake every s9noften during the summer to cool off and test my ability to get back onboard. I step on the lower unit, grab whatever I can on the transom, and go “mad-dog” to get back in. Try it sometime.
PD your method works well and if you use the power tilt button on your outboard it lifts you up
WRB

Post by WRB »

OB trim on today’s OB’s don’t help much with a jack plate etc.
Don’t wear lace up shoes or boots in a boat, can’t swim with them on.
You also need high speed PFD with collar not Suspenders to keep your head above water if you are under power when falling out of the boat. PFD will help you keep afloat no help getting out of the water back into the boat.
I used a 6’ boat dock rope with loops on both ends, both loops attached to the rear cleat. The rope loop makes it easier to get back into your boat. Ladder is ideal.
Change of clothing is essential to reduce hyperthermia, big problem with wet cloths.
Tom
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

No challenge - no cryptic inference. Just asking if anyone remembers that vide. Someone thought it may have been DanO that did it? We're still searching.

Anyone recall?
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

pd wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:23 pm Personally I think the most important factor is HOW you’re going to get back 8th your boat if you fall off. It ain’t easy! I don’t have room for a swim ladder on my rig. I jump in the lake every s9noften during the summer to cool off and test my ability to get back onboard. I step on the lower unit, grab whatever I can on the transom, and go “mad-dog” to get back in. Try it sometime.
I had someone in full gortex rain gear exit my boat while fishing. He was a bigger boy and it turns out had medical issues and you are right getting into the boat was taxing on both of us. I had to use the old stand on my trim tabs of the outboard and it took everything I had to pull him into the boat. The weight of the rain gear and how cold the water was (winter fishing) taxed him in minutes. Always good to have a recovery plan. It doesn't take long for someone to lose all their energy and reasoning.
Links to Check Out -
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

WB Staff wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:25 am
No challenge - no cryptic inference. Just asking if anyone remembers that vide. Someone thought it may have been DanO that did it? We're still searching.

Anyone recall?
I say recreate it with Wayne and Jodi - ya know make a tik tok for the kids :lol: :lol:
Links to Check Out -
milehi

Post by milehi »

Had a guy fall in after a long day smallmouth fishing up here, 43* water. Got him in ok but he refused to change into the extra clothes I keep in the boat. His cabin was maybe 5 minutes away, almost didn't make it. Scary, put a ladder on the boat a couple of days later
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Interesting comments on this thread. I just took the final test and passed for my California Boaters Card. The comment about not wearing very much in the way of clothes is basically wrong. You are supposed to dress for the water temp not the air temperatures. If you add together the water temp and the air temp and you get less than 120 you are less protected. If you do end up in the drink. You should have a plan for recovery. Here P.D. you'll like this. I'm damn near deaf. While fishing and maneuvering my boat in an area with stick-ups I hear a noise. I look and basically all my rods are going overboard (last week of Nov.) I jumped in and got to the back of the boat and grabbed my rods as they came off the back of the boat. One that had stuck to a branch brought all of them in a mass across the back deck. I threw them in the boat. My boat is usually WAXED. The only way into that boat(no splash well) was to hold on to the motor and trim myself up so I could pathetically flop on the deck. I had some dry shorts and a tee shirt in the boat(from summertime) and a spare jacket in my truck 5 miles away( where it stayed). I fished in that general direction in the sun only and what do you know their is a wide open Rattle trap bite...That alone warmed me up. Now I keep a change zipped as small as I can get it in the boat. :lol:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Being dressed in winter clothes is more buoyant than if you were naked. It's getting back in the boat that's difficult.