Current situation out on the West Coast

WB Staff

Current situation out on the West Coast

Post by WB Staff »

Chris Zaldain and Trait Zaldain review Chris' season, discuss the latest Bassmaster Elite schedule and the current situation out on the West Coast

ash
SpeedBump

Re: Current situation out on the West Coast

Post by ash »

"The Bilge" is simply one of the best Elite Pro-level podcasts. Trait and Chris bring the good bad and ugly into the conversation, and quite frankly, it's refreshing. The West was lost a long time ago, and the fact that Elite pros say they cant afford to travel tells ya everything you need to know about the state of our sport. Same thing that a pro could win an event, and it wouldn't even cover the cost of a new boat - it's gotten silly.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

ash wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:07 pm "The Bilge" is simply one of the best Elite Pro-level podcasts. Trait and Chris bring the good bad and ugly into the conversation, and quite frankly, it's refreshing. The West was lost a long time ago, and the fact that Elite pros say they cant afford to travel tells ya everything you need to know about the state of our sport. Same thing that a pro could win an event, and it wouldn't even cover the cost of a new boat - it's gotten silly.

agreed ...so what has changed ?? In your opinion...of course..
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I think advertisers and marketing teams, especially non-endemnics, don't see a measurable return on the investment. I think the advertising budget is going to digital platform marketing "content creators" youtube, tick tok etc... why pay all this $$$ for one pro who has limited TV exposure to a small select group of people who may or may not watch when you can funnel it into digital markets, half of which costs you cooked and milk, they get a nice chart to show your board ROI. TV is dying, there is a lot of competition for consumer attention. The cost of entry and sacrifice to chase "the dream" is dwindling my kid doesn't want to be a pro fisherman he wants to be a googan - like it or not that is where it's headed.
Links to Check Out -
kb

Post by kb »

I beg to differ with the Zaldain's and really wish they wouldn't use terms like "West Coast Fishing is Dead" to gain listeners to their podcast. They have a really good podcast and great guests and yes the West Coast did take some lumps with the whole Wild West Bass situation but a far cry from dead. The week that the entire WWBT world fell apart WON Bass held the Cal Open with 150 entries on both sides and it was won by an angler less than a year out of a college fishing program who is also a guide on the lake.

Let's focus on what we have in the West for a minute and yes there are some unknowns like the BAM circuit and the BAM Pro Tour. I think the BAM Pro Tour is probably too soon and I would like to see Mark and the crew build the pro am circuit with the most possible anglers on both sides and hold off on splitting the anglers for an "Elite Style Event" it is a little soon. For many the familiar faces of WWBT might not be a good thing but I think Mark is controlling his investment and this year will tell a great deal. He seems to have the support of many of the industry folks and has a great publication already in place for coverage.

WON is adding an event in Nor Cal with Shasta and at a great time and hopefully that event will pull some of the Pacific Northwest guys down as well...if it does you will soon discover those guys are freakin hammers! I am sure there are some other things coming down the path from WON Bass that they will let us know about soon. The Cal Open in April on Clear Lake.... I am signed up!

Even with the low turnouts MLF and the Toyota Series is headed back out West and Alan listened about kicking off every year at Havasu and anglers not enjoying catching very few fish during their week's vacation. For the first time in quite some time they will be kicking off the 3 event series at Clear Lake, Havasu in May is crowded but way better fishing and then the Delta in June and a no entry fee championship in November. I have talked to a lot of anglers that are excited to give MLF Toyota's a try.

NewJen has a good schedule for both the teams and the pro ams and they continue to draw decent numbers with great championships. Two boats for the Team TOC is a pretty strong prize package. Those concerned about personal issues between the owners are kind of grasping here. I never asked a tournament director about their divorce or cared honestly..... just weigh the flippy things and go home! I think we will see NewJen be a very strong team circuit with increased numbers across their regions.

BBT and Future Pro just keep kicking out 100 boat events and some great annual events like the UFC and the Snag Proof. They do have some teams that should probably venture out of that level but those guys make their anglers comfortable and they know what they are getting.

ABA will likely increase in many of their regions like Shasta and more folks fishing them will only be better they have room for improvement but know how to do it many of us fished those 250 boat TOC's in their past and they were great even if we couldn't figure out all those options!!!!

Dealer sponsored events like the Anglers Marine Customer Appreciation Tour, Phil's Props Circuit and others draw great and look out this year I think you will see large fields in those events. I see the 100 plus boat fields for a few of those events.

If you want more payback work on bringing some more folks to the events, make if fun and remember over 60 boats and most all the boat companies will more than double your payback if you are in the compliant product.

The return of Lake Mead not the Open....yet but a return and large national fields for the Open at Mojave again this year.

So no I don't think the West is Dead and as much as we would all enjoy a Bassmaster Elite or two or a Bass Pro Tour event here in the West the bottom line is the fishing and the lakes aren't keeping those org's out of here. The cost for the anglers to travel and the fact that we don't have the communities (Visitor and Travel Bureaus or Chamber of Commerce's) that will pay the fee to bring them out here like other places in the country will. So why should they come they were stiffed on that money by communities here in the West in the past and we put together some of the biggest crowds BASS has seen and yet you wouldn't have filled a tour bus with the crowd of fishing fans that showed up in Sacramento this spring that weren't related to someone fishing the event..... lots of reasons why but the results speak for themselves. I follow both BASS and MLF and know the players......not all the players but recognizing them. To Trait's point about nobody able to fish the Opens and qualify she is right on but there is a pretty long list of West Coasters giving the Tackle Warehouse Invitationals a run and most of them came from the Toyota Series. If Bassmaster brings an Elite event to the Delta or Clear Lake guess how many Californians will make a cast......1 Bryant Smith!!! Bringing the Elites here isn't increasing participation in our Western events, having good events with decent paybacks at a time when people want to go. If you want to increase participation in the pro-ams buy the directors a calendar so they can see someone is going to suffer when you hold 5 pro level events back to back to back to back to back and 3-6 days off needed for each......

The west is far from dead and I know the Zaldain's have to have edgy titles and some controversy to keep listeners and get new ones but those titles don't help the west either. Not with sponsors, not with anglers and not with those that support or make their living off of fishing here in the West.... I speak from experience and do just that guys so I take offense to those kind of grand stand filling headlines. I really don't blame any of the National Tours for not coming to the West I get it and if you think we can support it like they do in the Bass Belt then just pack your happy butt up and go to the Bassmaster Classic in Tulsa this spring and get back to me when you get home about your thoughts on what you witnessed it is amazing. We do not have the sheer number of anglers that fish for Bass like those states but we are a far cry from dead here in the west.... Chris and Trait I will be at the Open for a few days if you really want an OG West Coast guy with experience wearing headphones and doing interviews you both have my number! Would love to see you both!

And if your kid wants to be a Googan Dude schedule an appointment with their school counselor ASAP!!!! If you are telling your high school angler that they are going to make it as a professional bass angler and don't need a back up plan schedule yourself an appointment with any counselor even sooner. If you are grooming your teen for a career as a professional bass angler I hope you are pushing them into business classes, public speaking classes, photography and film classes, drama, shop class, english and basic math so they can figure out the difference between an 1/8th and 3/16th weight and the payback...... 1 in 5 with a 100 boats will always pay 20 places......quit asking how many places are they paying!!!

Ok it is way too long and a very Cooch like response so I will leave you all with this Har Har Har!

We have always fished for our own money and some sponsor help like prize boats and motors that isn't likely to change anytime soon.
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Kent,
You make a compelling argument, well thought out and articulate, and backed by the numbers. Thank you.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

KB,

Like the good all days. My reply was specific to professional anglers and the state of professional bass fishing. I agree that as a hobby sport, it is strong and growing. The focus of my reasonable response and opinion that Stickbait asked for was the lack of advertising dollars for non-endemics, not specifically for the West, but generally speaking.

Advertisers are shifting their budgets to digital platforms, lots more eyes, reach, etc... The kids today aren't sitting down to watch TV or listening to the radio (do they even own one?) - they are on digital platforms for entertainment and guess what The Googans are kings of this media in fishing, because they tap into what resonates with the youth. I am not pro or anti googan, that doesn't affect me one way or another - but i have to be honest with myself and see why they are successful. I can see how the shift in focus of ad dollars is squeezing the pros more and more there is a new generation of very talented anglers I see them and hope that there is a space where they can be the next KVD or Rick Clunn.

If we cannot openly analyze and critic ourselves then we are worse then dead, we are stagnant. Have fun at the Open
Links to Check Out -
Popper

Post by Popper »

kb wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:17 pm I beg to differ with the Zaldain's and really wish they wouldn't use terms like "West Coast Fishing is Dead" to gain listeners to their podcast. They have a really good podcast and great guests and yes the West Coast did take some lumps with the whole Wild West Bass situation but a far cry from dead. The week that the entire WWBT world fell apart WON Bass held the Cal Open with 150 entries on both sides and it was won by an angler less than a year out of a college fishing program who is also a guide on the lake.

Let's focus on what we have in the West for a minute and yes there are some unknowns like the BAM circuit and the BAM Pro Tour. I think the BAM Pro Tour is probably too soon and I would like to see Mark and the crew build the pro am circuit with the most possible anglers on both sides and hold off on splitting the anglers for an "Elite Style Event" it is a little soon. For many the familiar faces of WWBT might not be a good thing but I think Mark is controlling his investment and this year will tell a great deal. He seems to have the support of many of the industry folks and has a great publication already in place for coverage.

WON is adding an event in Nor Cal with Shasta and at a great time and hopefully that event will pull some of the Pacific Northwest guys down as well...if it does you will soon discover those guys are freakin hammers! I am sure there are some other things coming down the path from WON Bass that they will let us know about soon. The Cal Open in April on Clear Lake.... I am signed up!

Even with the low turnouts MLF and the Toyota Series is headed back out West and Alan listened about kicking off every year at Havasu and anglers not enjoying catching very few fish during their week's vacation. For the first time in quite some time they will be kicking off the 3 event series at Clear Lake, Havasu in May is crowded but way better fishing and then the Delta in June and a no entry fee championship in November. I have talked to a lot of anglers that are excited to give MLF Toyota's a try.

NewJen has a good schedule for both the teams and the pro ams and they continue to draw decent numbers with great championships. Two boats for the Team TOC is a pretty strong prize package. Those concerned about personal issues between the owners are kind of grasping here. I never asked a tournament director about their divorce or cared honestly..... just weigh the flippy things and go home! I think we will see NewJen be a very strong team circuit with increased numbers across their regions.

BBT and Future Pro just keep kicking out 100 boat events and some great annual events like the UFC and the Snag Proof. They do have some teams that should probably venture out of that level but those guys make their anglers comfortable and they know what they are getting.

ABA will likely increase in many of their regions like Shasta and more folks fishing them will only be better they have room for improvement but know how to do it many of us fished those 250 boat TOC's in their past and they were great even if we couldn't figure out all those options!!!!

Dealer sponsored events like the Anglers Marine Customer Appreciation Tour, Phil's Props Circuit and others draw great and look out this year I think you will see large fields in those events. I see the 100 plus boat fields for a few of those events.

If you want more payback work on bringing some more folks to the events, make if fun and remember over 60 boats and most all the boat companies will more than double your payback if you are in the compliant product.

The return of Lake Mead not the Open....yet but a return and large national fields for the Open at Mojave again this year.

So no I don't think the West is Dead and as much as we would all enjoy a Bassmaster Elite or two or a Bass Pro Tour event here in the West the bottom line is the fishing and the lakes aren't keeping those org's out of here. The cost for the anglers to travel and the fact that we don't have the communities (Visitor and Travel Bureaus or Chamber of Commerce's) that will pay the fee to bring them out here like other places in the country will. So why should they come they were stiffed on that money by communities here in the West in the past and we put together some of the biggest crowds BASS has seen and yet you wouldn't have filled a tour bus with the crowd of fishing fans that showed up in Sacramento this spring that weren't related to someone fishing the event..... lots of reasons why but the results speak for themselves. I follow both BASS and MLF and know the players......not all the players but recognizing them. To Trait's point about nobody able to fish the Opens and qualify she is right on but there is a pretty long list of West Coasters giving the Tackle Warehouse Invitationals a run and most of them came from the Toyota Series. If Bassmaster brings an Elite event to the Delta or Clear Lake guess how many Californians will make a cast......1 Bryant Smith!!! Bringing the Elites here isn't increasing participation in our Western events, having good events with decent paybacks at a time when people want to go. If you want to increase participation in the pro-ams buy the directors a calendar so they can see someone is going to suffer when you hold 5 pro level events back to back to back to back to back and 3-6 days off needed for each......

The west is far from dead and I know the Zaldain's have to have edgy titles and some controversy to keep listeners and get new ones but those titles don't help the west either. Not with sponsors, not with anglers and not with those that support or make their living off of fishing here in the West.... I speak from experience and do just that guys so I take offense to those kind of grand stand filling headlines. I really don't blame any of the National Tours for not coming to the West I get it and if you think we can support it like they do in the Bass Belt then just pack your happy butt up and go to the Bassmaster Classic in Tulsa this spring and get back to me when you get home about your thoughts on what you witnessed it is amazing. We do not have the sheer number of anglers that fish for Bass like those states but we are a far cry from dead here in the west.... Chris and Trait I will be at the Open for a few days if you really want an OG West Coast guy with experience wearing headphones and doing interviews you both have my number! Would love to see you both!

And if your kid wants to be a Googan Dude schedule an appointment with their school counselor ASAP!!!! If you are telling your high school angler that they are going to make it as a professional bass angler and don't need a back up plan schedule yourself an appointment with any counselor even sooner. If you are grooming your teen for a career as a professional bass angler I hope you are pushing them into business classes, public speaking classes, photography and film classes, drama, shop class, english and basic math so they can figure out the difference between an 1/8th and 3/16th weight and the payback...... 1 in 5 with a 100 boats will always pay 20 places......quit asking how many places are they paying!!!

Ok it is way too long and a very Cooch like response so I will leave you all with this Har Har Har!

We have always fished for our own money and some sponsor help like prize boats and motors that isn't likely to change anytime soon.
"not with anglers and not with those that support or make their living off of fishing here in the West...."

-Curious, how many anglers on the West Coast is making a living off fishing???
(Ex-Wild West Elite Tour, Ex-Wild West Pro-Am, Won Bass, MLF, and New Jen Bass Pro-Am)

BBT and Future Pro:
"They do have some teams that should probably venture out"

-Curious, venture out to what and at what financial expense/time?
This group of anglers have realistic objectives fishing tournaments, and have family obligations, day jobs/careers unrelated to fishing.
And this explains why participation numbers for these events are consistent over the years.

Living the Dream on the West Coast is challenging enough. Living the Dream "Fishing for a "Living" is another story on the West Coast.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

The guys in video are trying to tell you if you fish as a pro on the west coast.
Don't Quit Your Day Jobs. :lol:
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Original Lion collar jig
Building and fishing custom bass jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
TheMullet

Post by TheMullet »

kb wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:17 pm I beg to differ with the Zaldain's and really wish they wouldn't use terms like "West Coast Fishing is Dead" to gain listeners to their podcast. They have a really good podcast and great guests and yes the West Coast did take some lumps with the whole Wild West Bass situation but a far cry from dead. The week that the entire WWBT world fell apart WON Bass held the Cal Open with 150 entries on both sides and it was won by an angler less than a year out of a college fishing program who is also a guide on the lake.

Kb
Sometimes it takes national attention like this to draw people in with a negative title like fishing dead in the west could actually do the opposite and bring more attention to the west. I’m sorry to tell you but social media you tube and influencers make more money then pro fishermen take Ben Milliken & Josh Jones for examples. Josh Jones charges $2,000.00 for a guide trip and people pay for it. Marketing and Social media are the driving force now a days , TV is so expensive and most people are interested in football even the red zone package went to YouTube... Logan Paul & KSI put Prime hydration on the map just through using social media.

The west unfortunately isn’t know for fishing you will see 20 ski boats to a bass boat where you see a bass boat to every house in the east.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

jiggin4bass wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:16 pm The guys in video are trying to tell you if you fish as a pro on the west coast.
Not quite - but a good random guess
Links to Check Out -
Popper

Post by Popper »

jiggin4bass wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:16 pm The guys in video are trying to tell you if you fish as a pro on the west coast.
Hell, they can barely hold it financially together on the East/South Coast.
It'll be interesting to see the high numbers of anglers that have nothing to show for it
in 10 years outside of a few trophies and fish pictures.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Some of you may need to keep your current jobs and maybe go out and get a second job to keep up & pay for your Gas & tournaments Boat payments Truck payments and fishing Gear & tackle. If your planing on becoming a pro here in the west.
Original Lion collar jig
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
WRB

Post by WRB »

Nothing has change regarding making a living bass fishing on the west coast, couldn’t do it 30 years ago for the same reasons, little to no public turnout to support tournaments. There is a reason western pros for over 3 decades moved to the heartland.
Tom
Caleb.Smith

Post by Caleb.Smith »

There is a reason most of these pros have turned to YouTube and filming their tournament experiences key word "supplemental income".
The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Dude! Fishing is Fishing! Things change like the tide, go with it! I’m an OG Hook Rat from the stone ages, when a suds was 1 $. I’ve fished tournaments for over 30 years on the delta and clear lake mostly over the years. I started fishing when I was 18. Redman and west coast bass. I knew from the beginning that fishing was for fun and it could wreck your family no matter how much money you won! I placed in the top five hundreds of times! No aoy’s but one toc win! I knew from the beginning that fishing wouldn’t pay the bills, but fishing made me a better financial producer! I put myself through college and beyond creating a wealth of income so I could enjoy fishing. Now I can fish whenever I want to, and of course on the delta or clear lake. Camera , YouTube or tournament angler is all the same today! Share the sport with the youth when you can!
scott39

Post by scott39 »

Fishing industry aside. Why does it matter the West doesn't get attention? Seriously, why do fishermen feel disrespected. Who gives a ****. The less fishermen on the water the better, I say.
Dobyns Rods
Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

Well it appears to me that Caleb and his Windy Wednesday Night You tube has really increased the participation in that event. Think about it........middle of the week (Wednesday), anywhere from 35 to 60 boats (depending on bite that's between 70 -100 anglers), 100% payback, affordable entry and mostly lots of fun and comradery. Guys like Ish and Ken fish it all the way down to the weekend guys, so there has to be something there. Lets look at "Blast Off"........its a launch and go be back at a certain time, drive through weigh........ in to me that's how a tournament should be done. The only thing that would make it better is catch, weigh and photo and release.
The only negative is releasing the fish, which is why I like the catch, weigh, photo.
So just my .02
TL
FE
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Caleb.Smith wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:59 am There is a reason most of these pros have turned to YouTube and filming their tournament experiences key word "supplemental income".
Supplemental Income and 100x the exposure world wide for their sponsors - I know, you know.
Links to Check Out -
Caleb.Smith

Post by Caleb.Smith »

ash wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:47 am
Caleb.Smith wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:59 am There is a reason most of these pros have turned to YouTube and filming their tournament experiences key word "supplemental income".
Supplemental Income and 100x the exposure world wide for their sponsors - I know, you know.
If only it worked for me like it works for them lol...
Still working on that first sponsor!
ILW

Post by ILW »

Well there goes that theory...
and thank you for all the videos Caleb. Really enjoy them.
Caleb.Smith

Post by Caleb.Smith »

ILW wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:04 pm Well there goes that theory...
and thank you for all the videos Caleb. Really enjoy them.
Haha that’s my problem I just do what I love fishing and filming!
I forget I need a lesson in the other side of things I.e. marketing and business lol.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

People you want to supplement your incomes go get a second job fish less work more pay your taxes. That's simple now isn't it.
Original Lion collar jig
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley