Boat position in the wind

Raised on Fork

Boat position in the wind

Post by Raised on Fork »

Am I wrong to think that when the wind kicks up and starts moving baitfish over structure like a main lake hump, bass will face the current waiting for an easy meal? I know this is basic stuff, but the reason I ask is I’m weighing the necessity of a trolling motor with spot lock like an Ultrex. I’ve got a Fortrex now that’s solid but is a chore keeping the boat pointed into the wind. I’m thinking it’s much better to keep the nose of the boat into the wind and cast in front of the bass and work it to them naturally with the flow of the water. Appreciate the help!
WRB

Re: Boat position in the wind

Post by WRB »

Correct👍
Tom
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

I have both a Fourtrex and an Ultrex... An Ultrex (or Ghost, Force etc with spot lock) will be better and make it easier to focus on fishing (not boat control) for most people the majority of the time on most bodies of water. Necessary, no. A big improvement, yes.

On the other hand, a Fourtrex does better in heavy weeds and when fishing in really tight places such as behind docks and in tiny little creeks where precise movements make all the difference. The Fourtrex is much easier to control based on feel alone because it's a cable steer where an Ultrex is not and doesn't give the same feedback. I find myself having to look down at my ultrex a lot more in these places where as I know exactly where my Fourtrex is pointing all the time based on feel alone and can just fish.

But again, most of the time the Ultrex will be better and make your day more enjoyable. The constant on/ N heading is great for going down a slough especially with a cross wind.... just fish, don't need to keep your foot on the pedal
Raised on Fork

Post by Raised on Fork »

Great stuff! Thank you both very much!!!
WRB

Post by WRB »

The OP’s ? Was fishing main lake humps and most of out lakes are deep, steep rocky structure.
Having fished the majority of this type of lakes for 60 years on outside structure spot lock feature TM’s are wonderful. Boat control comes with time on the water and positioning becomes second nature until you need to get out of the bow for whatever reason, or re tie then you are blown off the spot, plan in the Arsh!
Get spot lock!
Tom
JVGondal

Post by JVGondal »

I have an ultrex
In my opinion it’s too noisy and as blueranger mentioned
Harder to steer.
I recently removed the ultrex for repairs and installed good ole cable steer in the meantime
I m happy with the cable steer
It’s quieter and steers smoother. The head does not turn either with a curly phone cord attached
Right now I’m on the fence. Being that I have been fishing wind blown structures for a very longtime without spot lock it’s a tough call
I don’t think I would get it again.
It’s nice to have an anchor and I miss it but the cons are at least equal to the pros in my opinion
Will I put the ultrex back on is yet to be determined
WRB

Post by WRB »

Lowrance Ghost is very quite and responsive, there are good choices.
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

JVGondal wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:39 am I have an ultrex
In my opinion it’s too noisy and as blueranger mentioned
Harder to steer.
I recently removed the ultrex for repairs and installed good ole cable steer in the meantime
I m happy with the cable steer
It’s quieter and steers smoother. The head does not turn either with a curly phone cord attached
Right now I’m on the fence. Being that I have been fishing wind blown structures for a very longtime without spot lock it’s a tough call
I don’t think I would get it again.
It’s nice to have an anchor and I miss it but the cons are at least equal to the pros in my opinion
Will I put the ultrex back on is yet to be determined
Is TM noise really that important when you're fishing in the wind?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
JVGondal

Post by JVGondal »

Sound travels underwater much more than not
Dive under water in a pool or lake and tap to stones together.
We use to do this as kids. It’s amazing how far the sound travels
More than that the noise from the TM drives me nuts

It goes full tilt to put your boat in position rather than easing into it
How often do you put you troll motor on it’s highest speed to move over 10 feet?
There is no way to calibrate it either
It’s my belief min kota will fix the issues in its later trolling motors.
Last edited by JVGondal on Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pd

Post by pd »

Yeah I’m also unimpressed with the Ultrex for shallow water fishing. Very noisy! Sure, if you’re a deep water dangler/dragger and wanna sit out in the wind on a deep spot for a while, yeah spot lock is great (I’ve used it on my ocean boat for many years) in that fashion. But for shallow water fishing noise is huge.
JVGondal

Post by JVGondal »

I think closing deck lids, stomping around , dropping stuff on the deck transfers sound into the water more than any people talking and carrying on
With that a loud troll motor that’s in the water is going to let MR. Bass know you are there
Wasn’t there a study long ago showing that the majority lake record bass are caught during the week when there are few or no other trolling motors and sonar pinging in the water?
Not to go off the topic