Rain Suits that dont wet out!?

CaliHitman

Rain Suits that dont wet out!?

Post by CaliHitman »

Anyone have any experience with brands of bibs and jackets that dont wet out and truly shed water?

My Aftco Hydronaut suit completed wetted out this weekend and I felt like i was carry an extra 20lbs of water in my suit.

Looking for any recommendations as I'm searching for new rain gear now.

Hitman
Topwater All Day

Re: Rain Suits that dont wet out!?

Post by Topwater All Day »

I have the Gill tournament series bibs and jacket, wore it this weekend and stayed nice and dry. Didn't hold water like you described. Highly recommend Gill products and encourage you to check them out.
Rob Ridge
Folsom Bass Team
Topwater All Day

Post by Topwater All Day »

Rob Ridge
Folsom Bass Team
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

My Huk raingear worked good until after several washes. Then it would absorb water like you're describing. I bought some Revivex wash in water repellent and have done that procedure several times. My gear works somewhat better now but I don't trust it. There is care instructions that you should follow from when bought new. I didn't do that. If I remeber correctly I should have used Revivex after the first year or two before my raingear went to crap. I assumed for the price I paid the material itself was some space age super material that would always repel water.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I've had a set of Cabela's Guide Ware that has performed 100% for over 30 yrs !!! And I've been in some Hellacious Rain storms too !!!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I have Cabela's guide ware also. Probably 30 years old also. I have non insulated with the short jacket because we aren't in Minnesota. Interesting that you had problems with that brand also. The winners of the ABA at Clear Lake are good friends of mine and the son is replacing his gear after fishing That tournament at Clear Lake last Saturday. If you look at the father/son team they look pretty wet but according to the son He was fine and didn't notice it much. I suppose the 8.5 kicker he caught kept him going all the way home. But He was going to get the guide ware last night.
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
Will C

Post by Will C »

is Guide wear still an Option? All I see is BPS 100 mph gear. I have Guide wear from 2010 and then upped to a second set of gear. I can be buried in that stuff and still be dry and dead! LOL
scott39

Post by scott39 »

Will C wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:07 pm is Guide wear still an Option? All I see is BPS 100 mph gear. I have Guide wear from 2010 and then upped to a second set of gear. I can be buried in that stuff and still be dry and dead! LOL
Look in the 2024 Catalog. No 100mph only Guide wear.
Dobyns Rods
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

It looks like it is Johnny Morris original guide ware extreme now. The late season version is insulated. I don't know about the jacket length but as somebody pointed and as I have told my wife. Just bury me in it as it cost more and looks better than the only suit I own... :lol:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

Cabelas Guide Wear is great. I'm on my second set and would recommend them.

But here's the real deal, no rainsuit made with Gortex (or similar breathable material) is truly waterproof. It's the Durable Water Repellant (DWR) coating on the material that keeps water out and the DWR will eventually wear out on all of them... some faster than others depending on care. My first set of Cabelas lasted about 15 years before water started to seep in. I tried the wash in DWR product to revive them but it didn't work too well so I bought a new suit. If you want truly waterproof you need to look at non-breathable materials such as plastic or pvc.... but those will make you sweat and when it's cold out your sweat will make you feel extra cold....
BSmith

Post by BSmith »

Stormr - I would buy again. Have a set that is 5 years old and good as new.
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

Try a DWR treatment like Revivex or Nikwax first, those are designed to keep your suit breathable... may or may not work well but worth a shot. If those don't work you could also try a silicon based spray like Sno-Seal Extreme, Scotchgaurd, or Kiwi which will do a great job of making your suit waterproof but will also make the fabric less (or no longer) breathable
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Mitch wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:48 am I've had a set of Cabela's Guide Ware that has performed 100% for over 30 yrs !!! And I've been in some Hellacious Rain storms too !!!
Same here Mitch, my guide wear is 25yrs old and still holds strong. I have never put the outer shell through the wash and dryer - just spray hosed it down and line dry. I should probably hit it with Gortex spray sometime soon. But the guidewear has been one of my best and longest pieces of fishing gear.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

ash wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:39 am
Mitch wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:48 am I've had a set of Cabela's Guide Ware that has performed 100% for over 30 yrs !!! And I've been in some Hellacious Rain storms too !!!
Same here Mitch, my guide wear is 25yrs old and still holds strong. I have never put the outer shell through the wash and dryer - just spray hosed it down and line dry. I should probably hit it with Gortex spray sometime soon. But the guidewear has been one of my best and longest pieces of fishing gear.
I "like" this post. :-)
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
rick3434

Post by rick3434 »

I've had very good luck staying dry using the Simms guide version bibs and jacket, expensive but I've never been wet. How much would you pay to be bone dry once you are wet and cold in the middle of the lake??
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Brian D. wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:37 am

I "like" this post. :-)
I "Thumbs Up" your liking this post :P
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Gortex shell ( jacket and pants) from Cabela's over your sweatshirt and pants keep you dry and warm.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
WRB

Post by WRB »

Like several members my Cabalas Guide wear rain suit is well over 30 years old and kept my dry in heavy down pours and still going strong. Just put the wet jacket and pants on a hanger separately and let dry.
I haven’t ever washed my rain suit!
Tom