Jonathan Demonet hammers a commanding victory at Lake Perris

basstrophy

Jonathan Demonet hammers a commanding victory at Lake Perris

Post by basstrophy »

jon demonet .jpg
https://www.fishermanswarehouse.com
ABA Ironman held their second event at Lake Perris. The weather was overcast early in the morning with the sun pushing through the clouds for a few hours and then the clouds regained strength covering the sun for the remainder of the day. One would say perfect weather for fishing until the wind picked up later in the afternoon. On Lake Perris, the wind can be fierce and flex its muscles thrashing the water into an ocean. Perris did not disappoint the anglers with several big limits and a fish over 10-pounds that measured 26”. One might say that Perris was at its prime during this event.

With a commanding victory, Jonathan Demonet posted an impressive 98.25” limit that weighed in at 23-pounds. Demonet started on a deep tree line in about 20 to 25-feet of water where he used a jig to entice the fish.

“I started off on a deep tree line and caught a nice one and broke a good one off.” expressed Demonet, “I basically fished for suspended fish in the trees that would hit the jig on the bottom.”

“As the day progressed, I moved up shallow figuring the fish would move up shallow with the sun out.” Demonet said,”I caught three more good fish using a slim Senko around the tree line but shallower.”

“I was using 8-pound Sunline with a tight drag on the Texas rigged slim Senko.” conveyed Demonet, “I had to use the tight drag to horse the fish out of the trees.”

“If you didn’t get the fish coming up and horse them out of the trees, they would get hung up and break you off.” communicated Demonet.

The jig Demonet was using was a ½ ounce brown and purple paired with a twin tail Yamamoto grub. He used his forward-facing unit to target the fish in the trees.

“I would see the fish swiming around in the trees.” Demonet said, “I never saw the fish eat the jig or Senko.”

“I had a great day on the lake and really wanted to break 100” but the wind picked up and I knew it would be rough getting across the lake.” expressed Demonet, “I never culled once I left the tree line, I should have stayed and waited and I might of broke the 100” mark.”

Jonathan Demonet thanked Anglers Marine, ABA for putting on a great event and his family for all their support.

John Toscano placed second with 96.25” another impressive limit. During the morning, Tosacano struggled early but quickly made an adjustment to capture second place.

“My starting spot didn’t work out, so I moved to a tree line in 15 to 30-feet of water.” pronounced Toscano, “I used a Neko Rig a Zoom Trick worm.”

“I didn’t get many bites only caught 6 fish all day.” expressed Toscano, “I did lose one good fish.”

“During the cloud cover, I got my bites.” indicated Tosacano, “When the sun was out, I never got a bite.”

“I was shaking the Trick worm to get my bites.” said Tosacano, “The deeper side of the tree line was where I got all my bites.”

“The fish would thump the Trick worm when they bit.”

Toscano thanked ABA for putting on another great event and Shane LemMon for all his hard work making these events happen. Toscano thanked his sponsors Bioenno Batteries, Johnny Rat Baits and Anglers Marine

James Choi finished in third with 96.00” another nice limit of fish from Perris; however, Choi also had big fish of the event that went 26” that weighed in over 10-pounds. Choi used a small swimbait, and a fluke style bait to catch his fish.

“I noticed that everyone was fishing shallow.” Choi said, “I felt good about fishing deeper because I felt the bigger fish were in the area I was fishing.”

“All my fish came on deeper structure.” pronounced Choi, “I worked the tree lines in deeper water.”

“My fish came from 15 to 30-feet of water depending on where the fish were located.” said Choi, “I felt the bigger fish were still out deep compared to shallow.”

“I was working the tree line when the big fish ate.” voiced Choi, “The fish ate the fluke bait close to the bottom of the tree line.”

Choi thanked his wife and family and congratulated the top ten anglers.

Top Ten:
1. Jonathan Demonet 98.25”
2. John Toscano 96.25”
3. James Choi 96.00”
4. Jason Mathiot 90.50”
5. Shane LemMon 81.00”
6. Dax Davis 79.25”
7. Jeannette Graunke 78.50”
8. Raymond Tak 77.50”
9. Kelly Brubaker 76.50”
10. Ron Kim 73.00”

Big Fish: