claro lake record carp

510lipripper

claro lake record carp

Post by 510lipripper »

Does anyone know where i can find out what Lake Claro's lake record carp is? I caught a 50+ on accedent and just wanted to know if it is the record or not. I only had a 50 lb scale and it read 61lbs.

This is my first post but i have visited this website a lot.
fishwithwill

Re: Nice.

Post by fishwithwill »

Awesome fish, bro. Do you still have the fish? To get it "verified" there are all kinds of parameters to meet to have the fish officially recognized. Contact Ca Dept of Fish and Game or the County Park System (I think there is a county park office at Calero). Did it jump? My personal best carp flopped like a grey whale when I first hooked it. They just don't get the credit they deserve cause they are not explosive predators like bass, cute like trout, or tasty like rockfish but they are the smartest, most reliable fresh-water fish ever.
Corn fed and looking for more,
William Wright
510lipripper

Re: Nice.

Post by 510lipripper »

I let it go. The fish didnt jump. I was throwing a c-rig felt a bump as i was relling it up off of the bottom and set the hook. It was foul hooked on the tail and took 20 min to reel in. I just wanted to know the lake record to see if it was it or close.
vjlazz

Re: claro lake record carp

Post by vjlazz »

Nice catch! You might check with Coyote bait and tackle, they are the closest bait shop to Calero and probably have the info on the records and such. Good Luck!

Post by Guest »

Bones,

In Steven's Creek reservoir there is a wolf pack of carp that are easily this size in the picture or bigger. There are several that are close to 6 feet in lenth there and they get no pressure or have any preditors to contend with. I've caught one before when I used to live in Sunnyvale but couldn't get the fish landed (10lb test w/ a dough ball and spinning rod). I've also hooked my fair share of 10-15+ lb carp in the winter months on Calero throwing crankbaits.

I'm willing to bet that there have been bigger carp caught than the State Record however it's a trash fish and anyone who even knew what the state record is most likely isn't targeting them. However if his scale is a 50lb scale it's not going to read 61 with any accuracy.

Even if he caught a new state record he would have to weigh the fish on a certified scale and have someone from DFG to certify the record. Also I've asked before and the south bay lakes do not keep any official lake records, however Coyote Bait and Tackle would be your best bet for biggest fish caught on those lakes.
510lipripper

Post by 510lipripper »

i also took some pics of it and will post up when developed.
thanks
510lipripper

Post by 510lipripper »

i also took some pics of it and will post up when developed.
thanks
marklar

Post by marklar »

g-man

Post by g-man »

holly sh@t, that is one big carp. it looked like the guy in the video released it. i would of mounted that beast, and hung it on my wall. thats a whole lotta meat that nobody wants to eat. :lol:
basstamer

Post by basstamer »

that is a hawg of a carp! The one thing I kept noticing is that dude musta been a strong fella the way he kept pickin it up and holding it like it was nothing! I gotta agree though-Carp are a blast to catch. I gotta a little "secret bait" from years ago.....take an "Industrial"can of corn-one of the big boys that they use in a school cafeteria and put it in a big pot then take a whole bottle of "Hawaiian Punch Concentrate"(do they even still make Hawaiian Punch????) and pour it in and bring it to a boil. The corn will actually turn pinkish red and get a bit tougher. Let it sit in the fridge to cool down then take it out to the water and ACCIDENTALLY throw it out as far as you can get it....er I mean spill about 3/4 of it into the water in a large area. Then go back a day or day and a half later and bait up and hold on. All joking aside I wanna make it clear that unless the law has changed spilling the corn into the water aka "Chumming" is illegal and could get you a big ticket so dont tell em I told ya to do it! I am not even totally sure that using corn as bait is legal??? If I remember right it was always illegal to use corn and/or cheese for trout bait? Good luck and tight Lines!
Scott
JimmyReese

Post by JimmyReese »

That Carp is sickning!

I wish bass would feed on corn like carp do!

We had my sons 5th birthday at TNT restaraunt in lakeport, and somehow a snoopy fishin pole surfaced on the back patio, and a can of corn magically appeared as well! (It was a magic trick....) And the expression of my son when that carp took off was priceless! It was like watching those professional skiers going a 100 mph's.... :lol: :lol: We need to have a carp derby! I cant beleive corn would be illegal for use of bait, but I have seen stranger things! This is good stuff, I cant wait to see the pictures.....

Jimmy