November Ballot Propositions

For political discussions
Marty

November Ballot Propositions

Post by Marty »

General Election - November 7, 2006

I’m not telling you how to vote, I just revealing what I think of the Propositions and how I will vote!

Prop. 1A Transportation Funding Protection: YES!
For years, the Legislature has raided our highway taxes for general fund spending. Though it’s more window dressing than relief, this measure makes it marginally harder to do so. The logic behind such a measure is that voters expect specialty or “exciseâ€
jcruz

Re: November Ballot Propositions

Post by jcruz »

Marty,

Here's the break out of Prop 1B funds. Not much going to social programs - unless you consider public transit a social program. And that I won't argue against that. However, unless the state starts building new and maintaining exisiting roads and highways today - our kids will have to pay ten times later. The price of oil concrete, asphault, steel etc. coupled with our domestic agregate ans steel being shipped overseas is driving construction prices through the roof. Take the Bay Bridge eastern exspansion for example first estimates in 2002 $500 million - today's estimates $1.3 billion. Delay and defered maitnenance = more $$$. Pay some now, or a whole hell of a lot later.

Prop 1B would provide $19.925 billion for transportation, transit, air quality, goods movement and related infrastructure projects. \

1. Corridor Mobility Improvement Program ($4.5 billion):
2. State Route 99 Improvements ($1 billion):
3. Port Infrastructure, Security and Air Quality ($3.1 billion):
4. Schoolbus Retrofit and Replacement ($200,000,000):
5. State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP)- ($2 billion):
6. Public Transit ($4 billion):
7. State-Local Partnership Program ($1 billion):
8. Transit System Security ($1 billion):
9. Local Bridge Seismic Retrofit ($125,000,000):
10. Grade Separation and Railroad Crossing Safety ($250,000,000):
11. Highway Safety and Rehabilitation ($750,000,000):
12. Local Street and Road Improvements ($2 billion):
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

jcruz, I think if you go back to see prop 1A and vote yes, you won't need prop 1b anyway.

Thanks Marty.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
jcruz

Post by jcruz »

Actually Prop. 1A is existing money ($1.3 billion per year). The state sales tax we already pay at the pump - that in 2002 (Prop. 42) voters mandated that it go to transportation purposes-only. Unfortunately, the Governor and legislature have taken advantage of a loop hole in state law and suspeneded the transfer of close $ 4 billion and used the money to backfill the General Fund. Prop 1A closes that loophole permanently. But it's not new money. Prop 1B is new money.

jcruz
Marty

Post by Marty »

Jcruz,

First and foremost thank you for the reply to my post. Let us show the non-fishing public how Bass anglers can talk about the issue of the day without getting our feeling hurt.

There was a popular song a few years ago called, "Money for Nothing." While the tune was a satire on the vast amounts paid to successful rock stars, the title could just as easily apply to many voters' attitudes toward bonds.

As we approach the November election with over $41 billion in bonds on the statewide ballot ($84 billion in principle plus interest) not to mention the debt the state already owes on bonds is $45 billion ($90 billion in principle plus interest). “Oâ€
jcruz

Post by jcruz »

Thanks Marty - you make some very good points. Based on the election results you can draw the conclusion that California voters were in a pretty generous mood. A sound economy had alot to do with that as did lowering gas prices.

All the bond measures passed and 1A was slam dunk. I am a big proponent of the state making improvements to our public infrastructure. For every $1 we invest in our state highway system, the backend economic benefit exceeds $5.50 ( time loss, fuel loss, good movement, wear and tear on vehicle etc). For every $1 billion spend we create over 20K new jobs - most of those good paying construction jobs - most of which the guys on this forum have a vested interest in seeing grow. I have been working in politics long enoughto know that you can't make it personal, hell some of my best friends sit on the other end of the spectrum politically - and it makes for some great discussions while fishing. Haven't been thrown out yet!!

jcruz :lol: