14 pound mono?

feelinminnesota

14 pound mono?

Post by feelinminnesota »

is 14 pound mono too light for a 2oz. swimbait? i have 20, but don't really want to strip the 14 off if i don't need to.
Burke

Re: 14 pound mono?

Post by Burke »

You will be putting a lot of tension on the knot area of the line when you are tossing a 2 oz swimbait. If you stick with 14 lb mono, I guarantee that you'll probably snap off the lure after throwing it a few times or snag it somewhere and break off the line.

In my opinion, if you are throwing a 2 oz swimbait, you are trying to attract the "big ones" and you won't be able to control a big fish with 14 lb mono. If your fish heads for weeds or structure, you'll break your line before you can turn the fish.

I use 50 lb or 65 lb braid with big lures so that I reduce my chances of losing an expensive lure or have a "big one" break my line. In the past, I use to use 17 lb fluro and had a lot of big fish break my line. With the braid, I've been able to control stripers and salmon as big as 27 lbs.
feelinminnesota

Post by feelinminnesota »

thanks burke,
i think i talked myself out of it last night, but i hadn't really considered braid till now. headin' to don pedro tomorow armed with a handfull of swimbaits. looking for that DD before i move back to minnesota. :wink: 8)
Mattlures

Post by Mattlures »

a 2 oz swimbait is small and 14 is not ideal but it will work. I generaly use 17 or 20 fluoro. I will never use braid(personal preferance). Too visable and I hate the way it feels and sounds. Mono is ok but fluoro is better.
premium swimbaits for trophy bass
www.mattlures.com
Charlie 2una

Post by Charlie 2una »

i went down from 25 to 20 and now to 17# mono...