Rachel Uribe Wins SCKA at San Vicente

basstrophy

Rachel Uribe Wins SCKA at San Vicente

Post by basstrophy »

20230415_165957 (1).jpg
https://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/

San Vicente was fishing great for the SoCal Kayak Anglers with many limits submitted to the TourneyX leader board. The weather was perfect for warm spring conditions with the water temperature ranging from 60 to 64 degrees and the air temperature reaching the upper 60’s. Once the lines were out and all the fish were submitted Rachel Uribe wins with 84.00” besting second place by 1.25”

“I finally won one, said Uribe.” “It feels good to get my first win, it has been a long time coming.”

Not able to practice before the event, Uribe went left and saw a perfect structure to use a spinnerbait.

“Man, the water level was high!”

Her first fish, an 18” fish came on the spinnerbait with a Reaction Innovation Skinny Dipper trailer on the second cast. Uribe was able to see spawning beds in 15-feet of water by using her DNA Torch glasses. She was using a drop-shot rig to catch the spawning fish off their bed. Uribe saw the fish pick up the bait, she knew then that was the key to doing well in the tournament.

“The bass boats were looking for spawning fish in shallow water and going right over the fish that were spawning in 15-feet of water.”

Uribe caught a 17” and a 16” bass using a drop-shot rig with a Robo 6” Margarita Mutilator worm on a 5/16 ounce Voss weight. Her reel was spooled with 12-pound test Sunline. She had to leave that area to submit her fish to TourneyX due to bad reception. On her way back, she came across some wood that was like the same structure she had caught her first spinnerbait fish. Uribe caught a few more fish working the spinnerbait to complete her limit. While covering the water, she saw more fish spawning where she used her drop-shot rig to trick the bass into biting.

“TourneyX was offline during the entire tournament.”

“I asked a few anglers how they did, I had more inches than they did.”

SoCal Kayak Anglers had the TourneyX app off, so no one knew how they did during the tournament, which makes the awards much more intense. Uribe thanked her sponsors Bridgford, Voss Weights, Reaction Innovation, Bioenno Power, Torch Eyewear, Robo Worms, Simms, Daiwa, Performance Tackle, Sunline, Dalton Toyota and A&M Graphics. Also, her best friend Marco, for being there for her every day.

Brian Leppke finished in second place with 82.75” by targeting the post spawn bass suspended in trees in 20-feet of water.

“I threw a Texas rigged 5” green pumpkin Senko and watched my line.”

Leppke used 15-pound PLine Tactical Fluorocarbon line to catch his fish because of the tree's heavy cover. He could see the fish in the trees with his Garmin Live Scope.

“Not every fish that I saw would bite, about 1 out of 20 fish.”

Leppke rotated several trees during the day to catch his fish. He knew exactly where the trees were located from experience while fishing Lake San Vicente.

“If there was a mud line near one of the trees, I would catch a fish.”

The key was the trees that were located on points near spawning coves, these trees had fish that wanted to bite. He thanked his wife, Mandy. He also thanked Performance Tackle where he purchases his tackle.

Justin Maupin finished in third with 82.50”. I was not able to interview him.

1. Rachel Uribe 84.00”

2. Brian Leppke 82.75”

3. Justin Maupin 82.50”

4.John Berner 82.50

5. Chris Harris 82.25”

6. Steve Buechner 81.75”

7. Henry Cole 81.25”

8. Mark Christman 81.00”

9. Russell Peltier 80.00”

10. Julian Jones 78.50

Big Fish:

Mark Christman 20.50”