Rifle recommendations

FIT

Rifle recommendations

Post by FIT »

I was wondering what caliber and make of gun you would recommend for pig and deer hunting. I have a Winchester model 94 30-30 that is in great condition but ever since Winchester stopped making them I really don’t want to take it into the woods. Thanks for the help

FIT
Dukslayer26

Re: Rifle recommendations

Post by Dukslayer26 »

I would go with a browning abolt in 30-06. Great rifle. Would be perfect for deer and pig. 300mag would be another great caliber but depending on what kind of deer your huntin it will be an overkill! Good Luck
I love huntin cause I love going deep into the bush and I always shoot twice!!
BigBossMan

Post by BigBossMan »

There are a lot of choices and it depends on the financial situation. In my opinion you can't go wrong with a 30-06, .270, or 7mm mag. The problem I have seen is people buy an expensive rifle and put a low to medium quality scope on it because they spent all of their money on the rifle. I would rather have a good used rifle and put a high quality scope on it. I don't think you can go wrong with any top name rifle maker. Just find one that's priced right and comfortable to shoulder (well balanced). Check out Canyon Sports in Pacheco. It's worth the trip.

In addition, a good friend has seven mule deer hanging on his wall in South Dakota between 28"-34" (private property). All of them were shot around 150 yards with his grandpa's Sears & Roebuck .243 :shock: (shot placement).
krpierce

Post by krpierce »

I agree with Bossman..opitics are key. My crew and I use .270 for deer, elk and fast goats...I have a Browning A bolt (stalker) in the .270 caliber. It has 3x9 50MM Leupold scope. I use Winchester Supreme 140 grain Accubond rounds. Seems to work well.
Rob Cummings

Post by Rob Cummings »

My favorite deer rifle that doubles as a pig plugger is a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in a .308 caliber. I've whacked A LOT of deer back in Pennylvania and a load of pigs in Florida with it. My grandfather taught me when I was young that shot placement is everything. You shouldn't use too large of a caliber to compensate for poor shooting skills. I realize out here in the west that shots are a lot longer at times and would probably pull out the 7mm Rem Mag. However, I may be inclined to purchase a .270 WSM.

I did pick up a Ruger .204 recently and I can't wait to get to shootin it. Anyone here have one?
"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." -General N. Schwarzkopf
Gator

Post by Gator »

Browning A-Bolt. 7mm Rem. Magnum. Never have to worry about having another gun. Deer, bear, pigs, elk, all covered.

Want to shoot one with the BOSS system? Let me know and we can arrange it.
Ron T.

Post by Ron T. »

I have hunted pigs and guided hunters on pigs for several years in Paso Robles . I have seen lots of pigs shot with 30 caliber and larger and seen pigs shot with smaller calibers . Unfortunatly I have seen too many pigs run off wounded from the smaller calibers . Trust me when I recomend to shoot nothing smaller than a 30 caliber bullet in the 180 grain weight . Sure you can kill a pig with a 243 but you better hit him right the first time and he is in open terrain . It will not always be the ideal situation so dont take a chance , you will have worked to hard to get the shot and not get the kill . I hunted with a win. featherweight 30.06 for years . Every thing from pigs to to elk to mule deer in the sanora desert . The 30.06 is a great cartrige and you can get the ammo anywere at a resonable cost . You can shoot anything from 120 to 220 grain bullets . There is not much you cannot hunt with the trusty 30.06 here in the great US of A .
Dukslayer26

Post by Dukslayer26 »

Ron T. Is absolutley correct!! 30-06 is the way to go
I love huntin cause I love going deep into the bush and I always shoot twice!!
Ron T.

Post by Ron T. »

The only other recommendation would be to shoot the Federal PREMIUM cartriges . Those things perform awesome ! Dont forget the pigs are much thicker than other furbearers .
FIT

Post by FIT »

thanks for the help, i will go with a 30-06

i was also told to check out Remington Model 700, so that will be my next step. anyone have feed back on this model gun?

Thanks again

FIT
BigBossMan

Post by BigBossMan »

An excellent rifle...A lot of SWAT snipers use the Remington model 700. Don't forget about the optics. If you can't see what you're shooting at, then the rifle is no good. That Leupold 3x9x50mm is a nice scope.
FIT

Post by FIT »

just checked out a Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope, anyone ever use one of these before? Good price too $650

FIT
Rob Cummings

Post by Rob Cummings »

Outstanding rifle. Not sure that is the scope I would put on it though, especially for any kind of distance shooting
"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." -General N. Schwarzkopf
Brian

Post by Brian »

Any Remington 700 in 300 Win Mag. Best caliber there is IMO.
Brian
Ron T.

Post by Ron T. »

Don't mean to knock anybody's preferance on hunting gear but I wouldn't buy another weatherby and don't waste your money on bushnell . Weatherby puts a lot of freebore in there rifles and Im not an expert but I think it plays with accuracy . Can not go wrong with Winchester , Remington or Browning . As for the glass , Leopold is pretty good but if you can afford it spend the bucks on a Swarovski . Its hard to cough up the money but you will never go back to anything else . I do like the 3x9 or 3.5 x 12 variables though .
lucas boden

Post by lucas boden »

savage w/leupold optics :wink:
Brian

Post by Brian »

Ziess optics Diavari best scope you can buy. Weatherby is a good gun but not as good as a Remington or Browning A-bolt. Swarovski is good glass, but not quite up to the new ziess Flouro glass.
Shawn

Post by Shawn »

Check out ruger 30-06 too.I got a used one at castro valley gun shop and it shoots very good groups.I had it floated and bedded.I think hand loads are better than factory, more confidence for me in the possble long shot.The scope is possibly the most important factor.I've had bushnells break in three different ways.I guess I'm a slow learner.I tried a leupold and will pass it on to my kids in about 40 yrs.If I can't break a leupold nobody can!haha

Shawn