SAC STATE TAKES COLLEGE FISHING REGIONAL ON FOLSOM

sTony

SAC STATE TAKES COLLEGE FISHING REGIONAL ON FOLSOM

Post by sTony »

SACRAMENTO STATE TAKES COLLEGE FISHING WESTERN REGIONAL TITLE ON FOLSOM LAKE

Chico State Qualifies Two Teams for National Championship, Misses Title by Two Ounces

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (Oct. 9, 2010) – The Sacramento State team of Peter Lee, Fresno, Calif., and Robert Matsuura, Sacramento, Calif., held off their competition on the final day to win the National Guard FLW College Fishing Western Regional Championship on Folsom Lake bringing in five bass weighing 7 pounds, 10 ounces on Saturday giving them a three-day total of 16 bass weighing 29 pounds, 2 ounces. The 2-ounce victory earned the team $50,000, which includes a new Ranger 177TR with a 90-horsepower outboard and $25,000 to the university.

“We did not catch our first fish until 10:30 and I thought we had it and we would be on fire,” said Matsuura, a junior majoring in geography. “It turned out to be a tough day as we were only able to pull out five. I was stressed, my head was throbbing. The first thing in the morning I lose all my way points, but it ended right.”

“We basically stuck with our same lures from day one and two, but changed our locations in the morning,” said Lee, a junior studying criminal justice. “We went out to the main lake again and were basically doing the same thing the entire tournament. We caught all our fish around 35 feet [deep] and we were throwing spoons and Carolina rigs.”

Lee, who stuck a lure in the head of his partner Matsuura first thing in the morning said, “I didn’t think we would continue fishing as I knew how bad the hooks were in him. We made a quick run back to the ramp and the guys cut the lure off and said he could still fish. We went back out came out on top.”

Matsuura said he thought their day would be over after he was hooked. “I thought it was over and I knew we would end up in fifth place and had qualified for the national championship. I was not looking happy in the morning. My head feels a little better now.”

“We fished flawlessly the second day and the final day,” said Marshal Smith of San Jose, Calif., representing Chico State. “The first day I lost my limit fish right at the boat. It was about a 2-pound smallmouth and that would have been it.”

Rounding out the top five teams and qualifying for the national championship are:

2nd: Chico State – Parker Moran of Carmel, Calif., and Marshal Smith of San Jose, Calif., 17 bass, 29-0, $25,000
3rd: Chico State – Allison Shaw of Calapasas, Calif., and Thomas White of Fountain Valley, Calif., 15 bass, 28-13, $11,000
4th: San Jose State – Anthony Lee and Tyler Swasey, both of San Jose, Calif., 11 bass, 25-0, $8,000
5th: Cal Poly – Damian Bean of San Luis Obispo, Calif., and Scott Hellesen of Whittier, Calif., 14 bass, 23-3, $6,000

Overall there were 25 bass weighing 39 pounds, 9 ounces caught by five teams Saturday. The catch included one six-bass limit.

Lee and Matsuura also won a $1,000 gift card as part of the Cabela’s Angler Cash program. Cabela’s offers teams the opportunity to register and win a $1,000 gift card for being the highest qualified finisher in each College Fishing Regional Championship, making the stakes even higher in an already rich award package. Anglers can visit FLWOutdoors.com for a complete list of rules and to register.

Qualified teams in the Western Regional Championship were:

Arizona State University (2)
Boise State
California Polytechnic State University (2)
California State, Long Beach
Chico State (3)
Fresno State
Humboldt State University
Northern Arizona University
Sacramento State
San Jose State University
Sonoma State University
University of California, Davis
University of Nevada, Reno (2)
University of Oregon (2)

The top five teams from each regional championship will advance to the 2011 National Guard FLW College Fishing National Championship that will be hosted by Murray State University on Kentucky Lake, April 7-9. The National Championship is a three-day televised event hosting the top five teams from each regional, 25 total teams. Teams will be provided jerseys and wrapped Ranger boats towed by Chevy trucks for this competition.

College Fishing is free to enter, boats and drivers are provided by FLW Outdoors and all collegiate teams receive a travel allowance. For a complete list of tournament results, visit CollegeFishing.com.

ABOUT FLW OUTDOORS
FLW Outdoors, named after Forrest L. Wood, the legendary founder of Ranger Boats, is the largest fishing tournament organization in the world offering anglers worldwide the opportunity to compete for millions over the course of 189 tournaments in 2010. FLW Outdoors has also taken fishing mainstream with FLW Fantasy Fishing awarding the largest prizes in the history of fantasy sports. FLW Outdoors memberships are available featuring numerous benefits including Player’s Advantage. For more information about FLW Outdoors and its tournaments, visit FLWOutdoors.com or call (270) 252-1000. For more information about FLW Fantasy Fishing, visit FantasyFishing.com.
Takedown

Re: SAC STATE TAKES COLLEGE FISHING REGIONAL ON FOLSOM

Post by Takedown »

Congratulation Peter and Robert
We needed a win, Way to Go! Men.
The Sacramento State team of Peter Lee, Fresno, Calif., and Robert Matsuura,
Brings home the title.
Skeeterman

Post by Skeeterman »

Awsome!Way to go Sac Hornets!
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

Way to stay consistent and stick some fish Robert and Peter. I helped with the tournament and meet some really nice people!!!! Damian and Scott from Cal Poly, Nichole and Brent from Arizona,and Daine and Alfredo from Long Beach. All class acts and hope you guys do well in the future!!!! :P
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
SJSU_Slants

Post by SJSU_Slants »

Congrats to Sac State.

Robert, I hope ur wound if ok.

It was fun fishing with y'all.
San Jose, CA
2019 Skeeter FX20 250 SHO
Roger Saraiba

Post by Roger Saraiba »

The event was great to be involved with. I had two different Chico teams and they were all great and good fisherman too.
www.marineunlimited.net
www.rangerboats.com
www.bassanglersguide.com
www.dobynsrods.com
www.jigmonster.com
www.monsterfishingtackle.com
Norv

Post by Norv »

Congratulations to the Sac State Fishing Team!!!
majorsyph

Post by majorsyph »

If anyone has contact information for Dane and Alfredo from Long Beach please PM me. They were looking for a so. cal pro that would coach them/connect them w/ area sponsors and I've got a couple guys willing to help out.

Thanks,
Kris DeWolfe
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

majorsyph wrote:If anyone has contact information for Dane and Alfredo from Long Beach please PM me. They were looking for a so. cal pro that would coach them/connect them w/ area sponsors and I've got a couple guys willing to help out.

Thanks,
Kris DeWolfe
Contact Kevin Hunt at khunt@flwoutdoors.com
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225