Short fish question...

stickbait

Short fish question...

Post by stickbait »

I noticed WWT has a 12 inch size limit...Watching the weigh in today a guy weighted a short (under 12 inches) not only does he have a short tournament fish his possession, (he was docked a lb) but he has a undersized illegal fish by state law in his possession, which is a ticket, or should be and a disqualification. I always thought that's why orgs went to 13 inch so a angler would be penalized by tournament rules but not break a law with a short in possession. Thoughts ?
george

Re: Short fish question...

Post by george »

I think you are totally correct, But from what I remember you were only disqualified if you were actually ticketed for the violation!
Unless the orgs rules stipulate that you can be or will be disqualified by the tournament director or organizer the ranger or warden can ticket and prosecute you; It is up to the orgs rules to disqualify you or not!

*Short fish rule has always been that suspect fish is thrown out and you get a one pound penalty on top of that deduction, But I have also seen anglers get penalized instead of disqualified for over limit of fish in live well where they have to throw out biggest fish weight!
Over limit at weigh in most tournaments is immediate disqualification!

George
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

george wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:47 am I think you are totally correct, But from what I remember you were only disqualified if you were actually ticketed for the violation!
Unless the orgs rules stipulate that you can be or will be disqualified by the tournament director or organizer the ranger or warden can ticket and prosecute you; It is up to the orgs rules to disqualify you or not!

*Short fish rule has always been that suspect fish is thrown out and you get a one pound penalty on top of that deduction, But I have also seen anglers get penalized instead of disqualified for over limit of fish in live well where they have to throw out biggest fish weight!
Over limit at weigh in most tournaments is immediate disqualification!

George
I wonder what would happen if a GW seen a guy weigh in a short fish... he has/is breaking the law. If he ticketed you "after" you weighed in would you still be DQed ? Same for over limit...it's against the law to have in your possession more than your daily limit... sure the org would DQ you but you are a law breaker.
Smokie

Post by Smokie »

early on in my tourney career i rented a boat and had a short fish, it was a 15in state and the torn up sticker we had on the boat well lid made our fish dead on 15 so in the box it went and we never culled it out, they dq'd us but probally because even with a penalty we beat most the field and had a limit, they woulda had to pay us unless they dq'd us so out we went :roll: But Last few wild west non pro format events i fished was 13 in one in over probally for that reason where as they left it to state mins in pro ams im assuming that theyre assuming pros to make sure your aaa's fish measures but yeah would suck to get dq'd and a ticket